Query about proving age for 1276 form

Old Oct 21st 2010, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

stuartsummers1980 has a spectacular aura aboutstuartsummers1980 has a spectacular aura aboutstuartsummers1980 has a spectacular aura about
Default Query about proving age for 1276 form

Hi guys,

Can someone give me a bit of help on a query I have regarding the checklist for the 1276 that we’re going to fill in online for a 176 this weekend once we’ve got all the right docs together. I’m a bit stumped (possibly being thick) on the “proving your age bit”. I’ve copied what they say off the DIAC website below so if someone could help me out;

Are they saying you can only use for instance a certified copy of your passport if birth certificates don’t exist in your country? Or are they saying a certified copy of the passport is ok in proving your age? If they are saying “only birth certificates” then that seems slightly odd, as I don’t see why a passport isn’t good enough in proving your age. No idea where my birth certificate is, so hoping that passport will suffice! Help please.

"Evidence to attach to your application

You must attach a certified copy of a full birth certificate for you and each secondary applicant included in your application.

If birth certificates are not available in your country of birth, other evidence to confirm birth details include, but are not limited to:

• school records
• passport
• baptism certificate
• family book showing date of birth
• ID document issued by your government
• hospital birth records
• court documents that verify your date of birth
• copies of military service records or discharge papers.

Proof of age must be included to make your application complete."
Old Oct 21st 2010, 12:10 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Query about proving age for 1276 form

If you have a birth certificate ie you're from a country that provides them then you will definitely need to provide proof of it at some point. You need to either find it or apply for a copy.
Old Oct 21st 2010, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

stuartsummers1980 has a spectacular aura aboutstuartsummers1980 has a spectacular aura aboutstuartsummers1980 has a spectacular aura about

Thanks Moneypenny. Perhaps I'm being a bit childish, but I'm not quite sure why a passport can't prove our age, and why they feel the need for a certified copy of a birth certificate when a passport should do the job nicely!
Old Oct 21st 2010, 11:55 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stuartsummers1980
Thanks Moneypenny. Perhaps I'm being a bit childish, but I'm not quite sure why a passport can't prove our age, and why they feel the need for a certified copy of a birth certificate when a passport should do the job nicely!
Because it's the rules. If you are from a country that issues birth certificates you have to provide one with your application. Not a short form, but the complete certificate naming both parents.
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 12:04 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Once you reach Aus you will almost certainly require your birth certificate for ID at some point anyway - if only when you get to the point of applying for citizenship. I'd get hold of a copy now and hang on to it
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 1:30 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

Also, your passport doesn't show your parent's names - which I expect they want on file in case you apply for a visa for your parents later down the track (or even for siblings etc. as they will share same parents).

Easy to get and useful to have.
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

thanks guys, all reasonable reasons I guess, although the section is still titled "proof of age" which a passport does so I'm going to go and find my birth certificate and partners in a huff!

Last edited by stuartsummers1980; Oct 22nd 2010 at 9:24 am.
Old Oct 25th 2010, 12:15 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stuartsummers1980
thanks guys, all reasonable reasons I guess, although the section is still titled "proof of age" which a passport does so I'm going to go and find my birth certificate and partners in a huff!
Honestly, having your birth certificates will make your life in Aus much easier, they count as important ID here, and the whole country is anal about ID proof, so get them sorted before you come