Qualifications recognition

Old Sep 2nd 2004, 6:54 pm
In Brisbane at last!!!

shecha is a jewel in the roughshecha is a jewel in the roughshecha is a jewel in the roughshecha is a jewel in the rough
Question Qualifications recognition

My husband has been granted a spouse visa and qualifications etc are not assessed as part of this visa.
Does anyone already residing in Australia know whether it is necessary to have qualifications such as a Higher National Certificate in Business Studies and a Higher National Diploma in Building Studies recognised by NOOSR prior to applying for employment in Australia?
I've read mixed advice on this, some say that these type of British qualifications will be readily accepted without being recognised and some say qualifications do need to be offically recognised.
Any advice would be welcome!
Cheers
Shell
Old Sep 2nd 2004, 11:23 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Qualifications recognition

It depends on whether there's a licensing requirement in the state/territory for the sort of work. Or if employers demand to see a clear equivalency to an Australian qualification (not normally needed, as usually they've a reasonable idea of UK quals).

If so - probably yes, if not - probably no.

Can't be more specific I'm afraid.

Jeremy

Originally Posted by shecha
My husband has been granted a spouse visa and qualifications etc are not assessed as part of this visa.
Does anyone already residing in Australia know whether it is necessary to have qualifications such as a Higher National Certificate in Business Studies and a Higher National Diploma in Building Studies recognised by NOOSR prior to applying for employment in Australia?
I've read mixed advice on this, some say that these type of British qualifications will be readily accepted without being recognised and some say qualifications do need to be offically recognised.
Any advice would be welcome!
Cheers
Shell
Old Sep 3rd 2004, 8:17 am
In Brisbane at last!!!

shecha is a jewel in the roughshecha is a jewel in the roughshecha is a jewel in the roughshecha is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by JAJ
It depends on whether there's a licensing requirement in the state/territory for the sort of work. Or if employers demand to see a clear equivalency to an Australian qualification (not normally needed, as usually they've a reasonable idea of UK quals).

If so - probably yes, if not - probably no.

Can't be more specific I'm afraid.

Jeremy
Hi Jeremy,
Do you have any ideas where to start looking for licensing requirements?
My hubby might need it for his line of work as a building inspector.
Cheers
Shell
Old Sep 3rd 2004, 11:18 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jeremy,
Cheers
Shell
Nothing specific - start at the stage government website and work from there.

Jeremy
Old Sep 9th 2004, 7:11 pm
Just Joined

shell1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Jeremy,
Cheers
Shell
hi ya, we have just got our visas and are heading to brisbane begining of november, my husband is a carpenter and has just tried looking into recognition of his qualifications, it all seems very complicated and not as easy as we thought, here are a few good web addresses:
www.ctq.com.au
www.bsa.qld.gov.au
let me know how you get on....... from shell
Old Sep 9th 2004, 10:02 pm
In Brisbane at last!!!

Originally Posted by shell1
hi ya, we have just got our visas and are heading to brisbane begining of november, my husband is a carpenter and has just tried looking into recognition of his qualifications, it all seems very complicated and not as easy as we thought, here are a few good web addresses:
www.ctq.com.au
www.bsa.qld.gov.au
let me know how you get on....... from shell

Hi Shell,
Thanks for that info. My hubby is a Building Inspector and has qualifications in Workplace Health & Safety, so we're sending off his qualifications to be recognised by NOOSR (national office overseas skills recognition). I'd rather get it done now than worry about it when we're there.
Where in Brisbane are you heading?
We're heading for Bracken Ridge in North Brisbane as soon as our house sells (been up for sale 2 weeks), so hopefully we'll be in Brisbane before Christmas.
Shell
Old Sep 9th 2004, 10:23 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Hi Shell,
Thanks for that info. My hubby is a Building Inspector and has qualifications in Workplace Health & Safety, so we're sending off his qualifications to be recognised by NOOSR (national office overseas skills recognition). I'd rather get it done now than worry about it when we're there.
Where in Brisbane are you heading?
We're heading for Bracken Ridge in North Brisbane as soon as our house sells (been up for sale 2 weeks), so hopefully we'll be in Brisbane before Christmas.
Shell
Hey - I have a BSc degree and so this has been recognised fine. The only thing that isn't as clear is my score. I spoke to someone about this and she said they would be able to work out the conversion for me if it was necessary.
Old Sep 10th 2004, 9:11 pm
In Brisbane at last!!!

Originally Posted by mlbonner
Hey - I have a BSc degree and so this has been recognised fine. The only thing that isn't as clear is my score. I spoke to someone about this and she said they would be able to work out the conversion for me if it was necessary.

Hi Michelle,
Did you get your qualification recognised before you went to OZ, or when you got there???
It's cheaper to do when you're in Oz, but I've read it can take 4 months!!!!
If thats true them we'd better send ours off pronto!!!
Shell