Prospective Marriage Visa...what next?

Old Jun 3rd 2003, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

susette is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Prospective Marriage Visa...what next?

I've just received a letter from Australia House confirming that I have been granted a Prospective Marriage Visa and to send my Passport in!!!!...Yipppeee!!

But.....I read on, and it states that after I get married a need to apply to remain in Australia. That's all fine, but then I read the 971i form which was enclosed it states that I need to supply evidence of a genuine relationship, stat decls, medical, police checks..etc etc etc.

Have I read this wrong, or do I have to go through this all over again?

Has anyone out there already been through this process, and can you tell me what's next in store when a apply to remain in Australia?

Thanks

Susette
Old Jun 3rd 2003, 2:11 pm
Mountain Dew Or Crab Juice?

Default Re: Prospective Marriage Visa...what next?

"susette" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > I've just received a letter from Australia House confirming that I have
    > been granted a Prospective Marriage Visa and to send my Passport
    > in!!!!...Yipppeee!!
    > But.....I read on, and it states that after I get married a need to
    > apply to remain in Australia. That's all fine, but then I read the 971i
    > form which was enclosed it states that I need to supply evidence of a
    > genuine relationship, stat decls, medical, police checks..etc etc etc.
    > Have I read this wrong, or do I have to go through this all over again?
    > Has anyone out there already been through this process, and can you tell
    > me what's next in store when a apply to remain in Australia?

I'll be going through stage 2 sometime before Feb next year. From what I've
gathered so far ( haven't looked much into it as yet) is that you'll need to
fill out the main application form again. Provide proof that you've indeed
married. As well as proof that you are living together etc. Seems pretty
straight forward, and doesn't seem to be as demanding as the first stage.

You'll also have to cough up another $500 or so for the second stage of the
application

Rod.

> Thanks
    > Susette
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.483 / Virus Database: 279 - Release Date: 20/05/2003

Old Jun 4th 2003, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for your repsone Rod, I hope that's all it is. At first glance it would appear to be so, but when reading on under Stage 2 of form 971i, it's not so clear.

Just wondered whether there is anyone out there, who has actually been through this process and received their temporary 2 year visa pending a decision. Perhaps they can let us know what we have in store.

Susette
Old Jun 4th 2003, 3:06 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

When I got my Prospective Spouse Visa last week (yes, I'm still celebrating!!), I asked the case officer, and she said we will have to fill in the main forms again, produce some more Stat Decs, mostly from Oz from people who know us as a couple, and produce the marriage certificate, wedding photos, and maybe statements from neighbours to show we share the flat.
Also she said if we had a shared bank account a statement would be good. The idea is to prove that you are a couple in an on-going relationship.
My UK police check will need re-doing cos it'll be more than a year old, but they may not request that the medical be re-done as it will only be 9 months old and had no problems on it. The advice on that was to contact DIMIA in Brisbane when I arrive, and get advice from them.
Sounds more straight forward than the initial application, and remember they keep all the original stuff on file too.
Old Jun 4th 2003, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

Oh that's reassuring....I had the worse medical !!!!!! I don't recommend the doctor on DIMA's panel of doctors for East London, his bedside manner was a lot to be desired, it really was awful and I'm not the sort of person who worries about medicals and stuff. Still, not that it would be the same experience in Oz anyway.

My UK Police check took 10 weeks!!!, as I'm sure it did for everyone else, and my Australian police check went all the way over to ACT and back in 10 DAYS!!!!

It's nice to know I don't have to organise medicals and police checks again, a few stat decls I can easily cope with.

Thanks again

Susette
Old Jun 4th 2003, 4:20 pm
Just Joined

mzsunkizz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Prospective Marriage Visa...what next?

Originally posted by susette
I've just received a letter from Australia House confirming that I have been granted a Prospective Marriage Visa and to send my Passport in!!!!...Yipppeee!!

But.....I read on, and it states that after I get married a need to apply to remain in Australia. That's all fine, but then I read the 971i form which was enclosed it states that I need to supply evidence of a genuine relationship, stat decls, medical, police checks..etc etc etc.

Have I read this wrong, or do I have to go through this all over again?

Has anyone out there already been through this process, and can you tell me what's next in store when a apply to remain in Australia?

Thanks

Susette
Old Jun 4th 2003, 4:28 pm
Just Joined

mzsunkizz is an unknown quantity at this point

Suzette,

My husband and I submitted our forms to the DIMA , Tuesday gone, We gathered together all relevant documents such as
Rental agreement in joint names, letters etc addressed to us, 7 stat decs, two 888 forms, photos,phone bills,joint bank accounts and receipts.

Then we were told that we would need more documents in our names to prove that we lived together, such as utility accounts etc.

Alsoas he has been in and out of oz for the last year to have an Australian Police check.

So my advise is to get as much as possible in joint names, and more is better.

Good luck.
Old Jun 4th 2003, 4:46 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks mzsunkizz,

And I bet your husband's Australian Police check didn't take anywhere as near as the UK one either.

I still amazed in the difference of the timeframe in which mine took, 10 days compared to 10 weeks......onya Aussie Police.

Susette
Old Jun 5th 2003, 3:05 am
Forum Regular

Moo30 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Susette,

We applied for the Stage 2, Temp Spouse Visa 2 weeks ago. My husband was a holder of the Prospective Marriage Visa which was granted in London last year. At the time he received the PMV, the case officer supplied a checklist that needed to be submitted with Stage 2 after our marriage. All that was required of us this time were the two DIMA forms (applicant & sponsor), 2 stat decs (these are official forms from DIMA, can't remember the number!) from family/friends to atest to genuine nature of the marriage, evidence that the marriage had taken place (certified copy of marriage certificate from Registry of Births/Deaths/Marriages - and not a certified copy of the one the celebrant gives you ... another $17.50 for the government), evidence of co-habitation (because you only have 9 months from PMV grant to wedding day in order to arrive in Aus then marry, we only have joint utility accounts at this stage), we also included a couple of pics from our wedding day.

There was absolutely no mention in the checklist or by the London case officer of having to resubmit anywhere near the amount of info we did for the Prospective Marriage Visa and no mention of having to undergo Police and Medicals again. I think for those who have come into the country on a PMV and apply for the onshore Temp Spouse as stage 2, it is supposed to be a far quicker and simpler process than for those couples who apply only for a onshore Spouse Visa after entering country via another visa type. Just wondering if mzsunkizz was applying for stage 2 as holder of a Prospective Marriage Visa or applied for a Spouse Visa as holder of another type of visa?

For the record, we were told by the counter clerk at DIMA that it would take a couple of weeks, the London case officer said 1-2 weeks and the DIMA hotline said approx 4-6 weeks and up to 3 months (called twice as no one seems to know). So quite frankly have no idea how long to wait for approval!! Will be sure to let you know how we go as we're right in the middle of it now!
Old Jun 5th 2003, 5:47 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
Very useful info - I shall keep that for January when we have to apply for the second part of my visa.
Can you tell me - did you have to submit your passport with the application, or are they happy for you to send it when the visa is granted and have the sticker put in it then?
One reason being, with elderly parents in the UK I don't want to relinquish my passport for long; I'm going to have enough worry when I send it to England to get my name changed.
Old Jun 6th 2003, 1:41 am
Forum Regular

Moo30 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Pollyanna,

No we didn't need to supply my husband's passport with the application. They told us they will call/write once the Temp Spouse visa is granted and then we go into DIMA office to have the visa sticker put into the passport.

I will be sure to post again when we get the call and let you know exactly what happens.

Cheers.
Old Jun 6th 2003, 5:43 am
Home and Happy

Thanks for the info, and yes, let me know how you get on! Silly I know, but I just wouldn't feel comfortable that far from the UK without the means to get back here if absolutely necessary.