Prospective marriage visa

Old Aug 3rd 2005, 11:52 am
JP1
Forum Regular

JP1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Prospective marriage visa

Hi,

I have Australian PR. My fiancee is here on a prospective marriage visa. We are to marry on 10 Sept 2005 (we have until the 23rd Sept 2005 in which to marry).

Could anyone tell me what she needs to do to apply for the next stage visa - i.e. the post marriage stage. What form needs to be completed and where does it need to be sent? What happens if the Dept of Immigration has not replied by the 23rd Sept (when my financee's visa will expire)?

Many thanks
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 12:02 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Prospective marriage visa

Originally Posted by JP1
Hi,

I have Australian PR. My fiancee is here on a prospective marriage visa. We are to marry on 10 Sept 2005 (we have until the 23rd Sept 2005 in which to marry).

Could anyone tell me what she needs to do to apply for the next stage visa - i.e. the post marriage stage. What form needs to be completed and where does it need to be sent? What happens if the Dept of Immigration has not replied by the 23rd Sept (when my financee's visa will expire)?

Many thanks
She needs to apply for a spouse visa as normal, using the usual form. There is a fee concession for those who have fiance visas.

Look at the Partner migration booklet on the DIMIA website.

Make sure you lodge the application before the fiance visa expires (this is very important). Even if there is a document or two missing. She will get a Bridging Visa A to keep her legal in Australia.

It's well worth getting some professional guidance - contact IARC in Sydney, for example: http://www.iarc.asn.au

Jeremy
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 12:13 pm
JP1
Forum Regular

Thanks. Off the top of your head do you know what sort of evidence needs to be submitted with that application. Is is necessary to submit (or re-submit) Stat Decs etc as we did before?
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 12:22 pm
Paddington Brisbane

BKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the rough

Do a search for threads by Pollyana she went through the same process as you and I seem to remember her doing a thread on what to put in the 2nd application.
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 12:33 pm
Paddington Brisbane

BKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the rough

These might help.....

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...highlight=visa
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...highlight=visa

Old Aug 3rd 2005, 2:01 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for putting the links on, BKate.

One thing I would add for the original poster - check the wording in the letter granting the Pros Marriage Visa - unless things have changed in the last 2 years, then you not only need to marry before the visa expires, but you also need to get the application in for the next stage BEFORE the current visa runs out.
If you don't, it will cost more for starters. As you are cutting it even finer than we did I suggest you start getting the application together now. We had 22 days from wedding to expiry date, and although I had all the paperwork ready beforehand, we were held up by Stat Decs from the family (cos I wanted them to mention the wedding) and by the marriage certificate. The celebrant will give you a fancy certificate on the day, but this is no good for DIMIA. He has to file the wedding papers with the Registrars Office, and then you need to request a copy of the official certficate from them.
I suggest that you speak to your celebrant and impress the urgency on him/her as otherwise they may wait weeks or months before sending the papers in.
My celebrant was great, filed the papers 2 days after the wedding, and we got the application to DIMIA with 3 days to spare.

Remembering all the organising that even the samllest wedding takes, I suggest you get the paperwork as ready as you can, well in advance.
Old Aug 4th 2005, 10:41 am
JP1
Forum Regular

Hi,

Many thanks for all the information. Sounds like we should start filling in the forms etc!! Do you think it is necessary to submit lots more Statutory Declarations etc? It all seems a little much considering we are getting married! Also, did you get a bridging visa until your next temporary visa came through?

Thanks again.
Old Aug 4th 2005, 2:39 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

We enclosed three Stat Decs, all from people who had done them for the Pros Marriage visa. The thing to remember is this - when you get the first visa, they are just giving you permission to marry and to move here. When you apply for the second one, as you are now, you need to show that you are in a stable relationship, living together as husband and wife. So its important to get Stat decs from people who mix with you as a couple, and who can vouch for the stabikity of your relationship.

re the bridging visa - as long as you get the application in before your current visa expires, you will automatically be granted a Bridging Visa A - there is nothing on paper, but it gives you a continuation of the work rights etc of the Pros Spouse Visa. The only thing it does not allow for is travel outside of Australia. If you need to travel you need to apply to DIMIA for a bridging Visa B.