Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

PROOF OF IDENTITY citizenship if you know no one on list??

PROOF OF IDENTITY citizenship if you know no one on list??

Old Mar 11th 2009, 10:10 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PROOF OF IDENTITY citizenship if you know no one on list??

Originally Posted by sunbather
That seems a bit strange We are always signing forms for migrants at our school. Was that admin who said they prohibit signing papers or the actual teacher themselves? If it was admin I'd be inclined to forget the conversation ever took place and just take the forms straight to the class teacher.
Also, most schools have at least one member of staff who is a JP and they would have to sign the papers. I think our high school has 6 teachers who are JPs. Don't think they're allowed to refuse.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 12:57 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Also, most schools have at least one member of staff who is a JP and they would have to sign the papers. I think our high school has 6 teachers who are JPs. Don't think they're allowed to refuse.
The school might be able to stop them signing as a teacher, but can't stop them signing as a JP - thats none of the schools business after all.
Old May 4th 2009, 8:26 am
Just Joined

puff the dragon is an unknown quantity at this point

we have had a JP do the kids but dont know anyone to do ours

what can we do

we havent seen a doctor,do on line banking etcc so theres no one who has known us adults for 12 months on the list.We are stuffed

DIAC says it cant be a jp for us adults.any ideas???
Old May 4th 2009, 9:05 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by puff the dragon
we have had a JP do the kids but dont know anyone to do ours

what can we do

we havent seen a doctor,do on line banking etcc so theres no one who has known us adults for 12 months on the list.We are stuffed

DIAC says it cant be a jp for us adults.any ideas???
Where does it say that you can't use a JP for adults? I had a read through the forms and didn't see anything like that. I did see that JP's were listed as someone who could certify though.

I'd like to know as well because I had planned to just go to the JP to have all of ours done.
Old May 4th 2009, 10:45 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by comet555
Where does it say that you can't use a JP for adults? I had a read through the forms and didn't see anything like that. I did see that JP's were listed as someone who could certify though.

I'd like to know as well because I had planned to just go to the JP to have all of ours done.
it has to be someone who is on the list is an australian citizen and who has known you for 12 months
Old May 4th 2009, 12:44 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by comet555

It can be a JP. Number 14 on the list here - People from the following list of professions and occupations can complete the proof of identity declaration
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1195.pdf

Ask around and you may well find you know a JP, without knowing they are one, if you see what I mean. If you really don't know ANYONE, get a JP to sign it and make a statement to that effect. The other one that people often find is that they have neighbours who are nurses, teachers, or work for the government.

Last edited by Pollyana; May 4th 2009 at 12:52 pm.
Old May 4th 2009, 2:02 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

it has to be someone who is on the list is an australian citizen and who has known you for 12 months
You can still use a JP. Just provide them with passports, birth certificates, driving licence etc and they can sign. Far more reliable anyway than using some person who's apparently known you for x years. You could have been lying to them as to who you really are
Old May 5th 2009, 8:07 am
Just Joined

You can still use a JP. Just provide them with passports, birth certificates, driving licence etc and they can sign. Far more reliable anyway than using some person who's apparently known you for x years. You could have been lying to them as to who you really are
not true apparently you cannot use a JP according to diac to sign your proof of identity unless they have known you for 12 months!!

I have spoken to the department several times regarding this

We are stumped!!!
Old May 5th 2009, 8:15 am
Crazy Cat Lady

not true apparently you cannot use a JP according to diac to sign your proof of identity unless they have known you for 12 months!!

I have spoken to the department several times regarding this

We are stumped!!!
If you've spoken to the helpline, they are notorious for not having the full facts in their heads. You CAN use a JP if you've not been here for 12 months or haven't known someone that long. I've done it as have others. That's what JPs are there for and if you've not even been in the country for a year there is absolutely no other way you can do it.
Old May 5th 2009, 8:24 am
Just Joined

If you've spoken to the helpline, they are notorious for not having the full facts in their heads. You CAN use a JP if you've not been here for 12 months or haven't known someone that long. I've done it as have others. That's what JPs are there for and if you've not even been in the country for a year there is absolutely no other way you can do it.
no its not the helpline I have been through both my case officer and her superior

they say there is no waiver about this. The proof of identity for citizenship form and photo can only be completed by a person on the approved list who has known you 12 months minimum!!

Our jp would only cross out the bit that stated 12 months and insert 1 day and sign it ,which was acceptable for the kids but not us
Old May 5th 2009, 8:27 am
Home and Happy

no its not the helpline I have been through both my case officer and her superior

they say there is no waiver about this. The proof of identity for citizenship form and photo can only be completed by a person on the approved list who has known you 12 months minimum!!

Our jp would only cross out the bit that stated 12 months and insert 1 day and sign it ,which was acceptable for the kids but not us
Well as you have exhausted our suggestions - including suggestions of things which have worked for some of us, the only solution is for you to ask your case officer to supply the answer. That is after all their job, to sort out problems of this nature, whereas we can only give the benefit of our on experiences.
Old May 5th 2009, 8:31 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Well as you have exhausted our suggestions - including suggestions of things which ahve worked for some of us, the only solution is for you to ask your case officer to supply the answer.
I have done so and she just keeps telling us to try to find someone and within 28 days or our application will be refused ?? which is not a great help,as you can imagine

I am thinking of going to see our MP about it,as I am at a loss

But I thank you for your suggestions.I put it on here to see if anyone had any other ides /experiences.It seems they had more flexible COs

Last edited by puff the dragon; May 5th 2009 at 8:34 am.
Old May 8th 2009, 12:20 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

I just thought I'd add that I made an appointment today to do our application in person.

While on the phone I asked about if a JP can sign for you and they said only if they've known you for 12 months. This is just on the helpline, so who knows.

I was looking through the list and I was having difficulty coming up with anyone who could do mine. The kids are easy as my daughters in prep and her teacher can do both of the kids since they're under 6. My husband can have one of the engineers at work do his so he's easy.

But most of the people that I know are stay at home moms so they don't count even if they are on the list because they're not working. So, it looks like I'll have to get my family doctor to do mine even though we're not friends and I'm just a patient. The hotline guy seemed to think that was the best option.

My only other option is to get my husbands boss to sign mine. I did meet him over 12 months ago so he knows who I am but we're not really friends or anything.

Anyway... I just find it a bit odd that a JP can't just confirm your identity. Also, I'm applying in person with all our ID so you'd think that'd be enough. As I said though that's just according to the hotline. I'd like to see the official policy on it though.
Old May 8th 2009, 5:11 am
Home and Happy

I can only come up with two solutions at the moment.
The first is to contact a registered migration agent and get them to check out the policy and guidelines that exist for verifying identity.
The second is to contact the Minister's Office direct. The Act states that it is the Minister that has to be satisfied that the person being approved for citizenship has had their identity verified, therefore, in the OP's shoes I would be contacting the Minister's Office, outlining what they have been told so far, and asking for a solution which will be acceptable to that Office.
Old May 14th 2009, 1:53 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
The school might be able to stop them signing as a teacher, but can't stop them signing as a JP - thats none of the schools business after all.
I doubt the school could stop them signing as a teacher either ... teachers hold that status as individuals and they do not sign on behalf of their employer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.