Prepare Your Sponsor For A Grilling

Old Sep 25th 2005, 8:29 am
BE Enthusiast

eintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to all
Default Prepare Your Sponsor For A Grilling

I've just spoken to my cousin who is our sponsor for our visa and has just returned from her interview at Centrelink. She took along her tax certificates etc. but they werent enough and she has to visit the tax office for some extra form and then return to Centrelink.
On top of that the woman tried to talk her out of sponsoring us. She even said if my cousin should die in the first two years we were in the country her will would be frozen and her assets used if we should fall on hard times. She told her how much she would need to cough up if we should be in a car crash and spend our first 2 years in hospital or became permanantly disabled and were unable to work. Apparently, my cousin got the impression she was not the exception !!!
So its not a picnic.
Old Sep 25th 2005, 8:43 am
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Prepare Your Sponsor For A Grilling

Originally Posted by eintracht
I've just spoken to my cousin who is our sponsor for our visa and has just returned from her interview at Centrelink. She took along her tax certificates etc. but they werent enough and she has to visit the tax office for some extra form and then return to Centrelink.
On top of that the woman tried to talk her out of sponsoring us. She even said if my cousin should die in the first two years we were in the country her will would be frozen and her assets used if we should fall on hard times. She told her how much she would need to cough up if we should be in a car crash and spend our first 2 years in hospital or became permanantly disabled and were unable to work. Apparently, my cousin got the impression she was not the exception !!!
So its not a picnic.
mmm,great......not!

what extra info did they have to get from the tax office?
Old Sep 25th 2005, 8:54 am

stevereed is an unknown quantity at this point

My father has his interview, and it did not involve any of the issues you mentione

Depends who you get I suppose

So its not a picnic.
Old Sep 25th 2005, 10:04 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

So its not a picnic.
1. This process is about the Assurance of Support, not sponsorship.

2. The point about one's will being frozen is an interesting one, but in principle all of the above is correct. There is a 2 year wait (in most cases) for recoverable welfare benefits, but should this be waived (eg in case of death or serious illness), Centrelink *will* recover the benefits paid from the assurer. The risk is not high, but it's not zero either.

For a 10 year Contributory Parent visa, these issues are magnified many times.

3. The reason they brought in these interviews is to stop assurers claiming they did not understand the obligations involved.

Jeremy
Old Sep 25th 2005, 11:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

lacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond repute

it's fair enough I suppose,
you have to know what you are risking, the whole issue of migration to Australia is no picnic however you have to be prepared for every eventuality.

cheers Lace x

back in Uk unfortunately lol
Old Sep 25th 2005, 4:49 pm
Forum Regular

sprite_green is just really nicesprite_green is just really nicesprite_green is just really nicesprite_green is just really nicesprite_green is just really nicesprite_green is just really nicesprite_green is just really nicesprite_green is just really nicesprite_green is just really nicesprite_green is just really nice

Originally Posted by JAJ
1. This process is about the Assurance of Support, not sponsorship.

2. The point about one's will being frozen is an interesting one, but in principle all of the above is correct. There is a 2 year wait (in most cases) for recoverable welfare benefits, but should this be waived (eg in case of death or serious illness), Centrelink *will* recover the benefits paid from the assurer. The risk is not high, but it's not zero either.

For a 10 year Contributory Parent visa, these issues are magnified many times.

3. The reason they brought in these interviews is to stop assurers claiming they did not understand the obligations involved.

Jeremy

Re. AOS, I presume there is a cap to the assurer's liability? I thought the bond was the limit.
Old Sep 25th 2005, 5:04 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sprite_green
Re. AOS, I presume there is a cap to the assurer's liability? I thought the bond was the limit.

The bond is not the limit. It's just a "down-payment" if Centrelink want to get back the recoverable welfare payments.

After the bond is used up Centrelink can chase the assurer for the rest. There is, as far as I know, no specific limit on the amount.

Jeremy
Old Sep 25th 2005, 5:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

eintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to all

My cousin had to prove she earned at least $34,000 in the previous two full tax years.
Old Sep 26th 2005, 1:10 am
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

Some helpful information regarding the assurance of supportcan be found @

http://www.iarc.asn.au/publications/pdfs/aos.pdf
Old Sep 26th 2005, 5:50 am
BE Forum Addict

CathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Luke I Amyofath
Some helpful information regarding the assurance of supportcan be found @

http://www.iarc.asn.au/publications/pdfs/aos.pdf
That is a really detailed link. Cheers for that.