PR Visa Validation

Old Nov 3rd 2005, 2:41 pm
Just Joined

magoko101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default PR Visa Validation

Hello,
I'm beginning the process of applying for permanent residency to Australia as a skilled migrant subclass 136.
What I would like to know is how long do you have before taking up the PR Visa after approval. As far as I am aware, I would be given a date by which I would need to visit Australia after my Residency would be approved, but would it be necessary to move permanently to Oz on this date or is there a period of time you are allowed before living/paying tax in Oz.

The reason being is that although I am ready to move to Oz, my girlfriend/spouse will not have the money to do so for a while, and we would like to be able to apply and get our residency approved asap, but have some time between approval and having to move to Australia.

Also, how longdo you have to be living in Australia on your PR before you are able to leave for extended periods, without losing your residency status. (I'm an IT contractor and would still like to be able to work in Europe for 3-6 months without losing my residency).

My apologise if this has been covered already but my search terms (valid visa period etc) returned loads of hits and I wasn't able to find the info. I looked on the immi.gov.au site also but again no joy.

Thanks in advance,
Mark
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 3:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: PR Visa Validation

My understanding is:

When the visa is granted it includes a 5 year Residents Return Visa so in theory you don't have to make the permanent move until just before this expires but you should be careful to ensure you are in the country when it expires as if you're not then you also lose your PR. It can also be more difficult to get a new RRV if you have not been living in Australia for a while when the first one expires and you will need an RRV for any overseas trip however short.

The inital entry date is usually 1 year from the date of you medicals or police check (whichever is earlier) although some medical conditions mean the medicals are only valid for 6 months. As far as I am aware this date cannot be altered once the visa has been granted so you at least need to visit Australia before the date.
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 8:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

brian0 is a jewel in the roughbrian0 is a jewel in the roughbrian0 is a jewel in the roughbrian0 is a jewel in the rough

In the past Jeremy (JAJ) used to always recommend that you take up residency permanently at least 2 years before the initial 5 year PR visa runs out. This was to allow you to gain the required residency time to be able to apply for citizenship before the visa expired. With the proposed changes to the citizenship laws coming soon perhaps the new number should be 3 years before PR expiry as you will now need 3 years of residency to qualify for citizenship.

Cheers,
Brian

Originally Posted by spottydog
My understanding is:

When the visa is granted it includes a 5 year Residents Return Visa so in theory you don't have to make the permanent move until just before this expires but you should be careful to ensure you are in the country when it expires as if you're not then you also lose your PR. It can also be more difficult to get a new RRV if you have not been living in Australia for a while when the first one expires and you will need an RRV for any overseas trip however short.

The inital entry date is usually 1 year from the date of you medicals or police check (whichever is earlier) although some medical conditions mean the medicals are only valid for 6 months. As far as I am aware this date cannot be altered once the visa has been granted so you at least need to visit Australia before the date.
Old Nov 4th 2005, 1:02 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brian0
In the past Jeremy (JAJ) used to always recommend that you take up residency permanently at least 2 years before the initial 5 year PR visa runs out. This was to allow you to gain the required residency time to be able to apply for citizenship before the visa expired. With the proposed changes to the citizenship laws coming soon perhaps the new number should be 3 years before PR expiry as you will now need 3 years of residency to qualify for citizenship.

Cheers,
Brian

However the 2 year rule is likely to stay in place for Resident Return Visas, at least for now. Unless DIMIA have a policy change in the pipeline that they haven't told us about, that rule won't be changing. It's not linked to citizenship.

Jeremy
Old Nov 4th 2005, 1:04 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magoko101
Also, how longdo you have to be living in Australia on your PR before you are able to leave for extended periods, without losing your residency status. (I'm an IT contractor and would still like to be able to work in Europe for 3-6 months without losing my residency).
Read form 968i:
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/968i.pdf

You're going to have a complicated life if you keep going overseas for 3-6 months and trying to keep residency. Why not become an Australian citizen before thinking about spending extended periods overseas?

Although as you don't say what country you are from, then it's not clear whether you'll be able to keep your existing citizenship when you become Australian.

Jeremy
Old Nov 4th 2005, 8:24 am
Just Joined

magoko101 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
Read form 968i:
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/968i.pdf

You're going to have a complicated life if you keep going overseas for 3-6 months and trying to keep residency. Why not become an Australian citizen before thinking about spending extended periods overseas?

Although as you don't say what country you are from, then it's not clear whether you'll be able to keep your existing citizenship when you become Australian.

Jeremy
Thanks for the advice. Luckily, since I'm Irish I would be able to apply for dual citizenship so maybe that could be something I might think about doing.
My main concern really is in terms of how long I'd have before I would need to move to Oz after recieving my PR. Once I'd have a couple of years I'd be ok.
Thanks again.