PR for the over 50s

Old Feb 5th 2013, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

AndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really nice
Default PR for the over 50s

Nor interested in being redirected to links to the Dept of Immigration website, simply genuine first hand experience relevant to our circumstances (please).

Been here on a sponsored 457 with working wife and have 18 months remaining on the visa. I'm now 56, highly skilled engineering excecutive, earning a very good salary, and a key staff member in a global consultancy.
Our plan was to apply for PR. Until July 2012 it appeared that I would qualify, even at my age, because of my qualifications and job.

I am now told ny Immigration lawyers that things have changed! To qualify I would need to:-

1. Be a church minister
2. A highly respected academic
3. Been working for my sponsoring company for 4 years min.

Unfortuantely I changed jobs just 3 months ago and effectively would need to work almost 4 years to apply (longer than my curreny visa)

Any advice? I am told that it may be possible to renew my 457. Is that actually possible?

Give me the good news, please!

Cheers guys and girls.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 1:12 pm
Just Joined

blue_hotel has a brilliant futureblue_hotel has a brilliant futureblue_hotel has a brilliant futureblue_hotel has a brilliant futureblue_hotel has a brilliant futureblue_hotel has a brilliant futureblue_hotel has a brilliant future
Default Re: PR for the over 50s

Have you thought about looking at NZ? the rules are a bit easier. Maybe if your employer has an office there, you could work out of that office?

Or, do you have family here that could sponsor you?

I think a migration lawyer might be your best bet at this stage.

Old Feb 5th 2013, 2:13 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AndrewMarilyn
Nor interested in being redirected to links to the Dept of Immigration website, simply genuine first hand experience relevant to our circumstances (please).

Been here on a sponsored 457 with working wife and have 18 months remaining on the visa. I'm now 56, highly skilled engineering excecutive, earning a very good salary, and a key staff member in a global consultancy.
Our plan was to apply for PR. Until July 2012 it appeared that I would qualify, even at my age, because of my qualifications and job.

I am now told ny Immigration lawyers that things have changed! To qualify I would need to:-

1. Be a church minister

Unfortuantely I changed jobs just 3 months ago and effectively would need to work almost 4 years to apply (longer than my curreny visa)

Any advice? I am told that it may be possible to renew my 457. Is that actually possible?

Cheers guys and girls.
What suggestions did your immigration lawyer have?
Old Feb 5th 2013, 2:29 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

1. Be a church minister

Cheers guys and girls.
A lot of things did change in July 2012 when SkillSelect was introduced, and reading the Immigration website would enlighten you a lot as to what the changes are. I would never suggest that anyone applies for a visa without reading the site in fact, (even if using an agent ) you do need to know the truth as opposed to the thoughts of well-meaning amateurs who may miss something.

If your migration agent has advised you that you cannot qualify for PR through your skills without working for a sponsor for four years then that would seem to be the route you should take. Its a shame you didn't discuss getting PR, or read up on the rules, earlier, but then hindsight is always a wonderful thing! Renewing your 457 shouldn't be an issue - your current employer was obviously able to get it transferred to themselves so they would seem to be approved as sponsors. Presumably your agent is looking into this for you?
Old Feb 5th 2013, 4:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

campervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond repute

can your wife get sponsorship? shame you changed your job so recently...was that because you didn't hold out any hope of them sponsoring you for PR? just wondering if your job wasn't on the SOL/CSOL & that's why you didn't go for it.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 10:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

1. Be a church minister

Cheers guys and girls.
Yes this is correct, it is now much harder for over 50s to get PR. There should be no reason why you cannot renew the 457. Did you change company as well as job? Or was it an internal move, was it a big change? I am just wondering if there is some way that your experience to date might count for the four years...
Old Feb 10th 2013, 4:46 am
Forum Regular

benhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Andrew

We are in the same boat as you with OH being 54 and having to stick with his current employer for the next 2.5 years to qualify to apply for PR. As long as the rules don't change again, you should be able to renew your 457 visa in 18 months time, then apply for PR once you've completed 4 years with the same employer.
Old Feb 10th 2013, 4:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by benhila
Hi Andrew

We are in the same boat as you with OH being 54 and having to stick with his current employer for the next 2.5 years to qualify to apply for PR. As long as the rules don't change again, you should be able to renew your 457 visa in 18 months time, then apply for PR once you've completed 4 years with the same employer.
If the employer is willing to sponsor that is..
Old Feb 10th 2013, 4:59 am
Forum Regular

benhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
If the employer is willing to sponsor that is..
Sure, but I am assuming a highly qualified and valuable employee that got hit by bureaucracy created by clueless government officials.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 5:05 am
BE Enthusiast

TeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond repute

Keep an eye on the High Income Threshold as it changes each year.

In addition to being with the sponsoring employer for 4 years (and both you and the employer remaining eligible) - each of those 4 years you must have earned above the High Income Threshold for the respective year which generally changes each year. Currently $123,300 - likely to increase in July.

Also keep an eye out for any further changes to the rules up until you are eligible again.

The age exception eligibility hit a lot of people quite badly.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 9:19 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Highlights also a reason for people referring posters to links to the Dept of Immigration website
Old Feb 11th 2013, 10:06 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Thanks Highlights also a reason for people referring posters to links to the Dept of Immigration website
Ah, but the OP wasn't interested in being linked to the immi site.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 10:47 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
The joys of a public forum where anyone can (within reason) comment as they please.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 12:47 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I know, and I aknowledged the fact earlier. However the OP should note that info such as that in TeeTMI's post is updated frequently on the DIAc site and may not be mentioned on here.
Likewise, had the OP done more research on the DIAC site when they posted originally about getting a 457 they might have been able to avoid getting into this position as they may have been able to get ENS earlier. Might not be what they want to hear but Immigration matters are never sugarcoated
Old Feb 11th 2013, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Likewise, had the OP done more research on the DIAC site when they posted originally about getting a 457 they might have been able to avoid getting into this position as they may have been able to get ENS earlier. Might not be what they want to hear but Immigration matters are never sugarcoated
This is just rubbing salt in the wounds and it's total rubbish. The regulations have changed from 1st July 2012. There was no way to anticipate the change in advance. It's very easy to be smart after the fact.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.