Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

possible to apply for citizenship while residing overseas?

possible to apply for citizenship while residing overseas?

Old Oct 29th 2012, 1:26 am
Just Joined

cosycatus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default possible to apply for citizenship while residing overseas?

let's say i meet the residency requirements and all except for the fact that , say at the point of application, i am currently overseas. Is it possible to apply and get approved? and when approved, i fly back for the ceremony and fly out the next day?
Old Oct 29th 2012, 1:53 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: possible to apply for citizenship while residing overseas?

Possibly. But there is an interview for which you need to be present first (where you take a test and supply documents etc.) - unless that is what you meant.

You need PR, you need to qualify for citizenship, then apply, then attend the interview, then see if your application is approved.

Once all this is done, the length of time until the ceremony varies greatly depending upon where you live.

But once all is in place, there is no reason why you can't do what you say.

One has to wonder why though.
Old Oct 29th 2012, 11:43 am
Just Joined

cosycatus is an unknown quantity at this point

so technically, i need to fly back for an interview and ceremony, inbetween which i can be away from Australia?

Reason for asking is work/training. I might need to train/work in another part of the world
Old Oct 29th 2012, 11:51 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cosycatus
so technically, i need to fly back for an interview and ceremony, inbetween which i can be away from Australia?

Reason for asking is work/training. I might need to train/work in another part of the world
I have just checked with immigov (you might like to have a good read)

This page states that to apply online, you need to be in Australia. There are other conditions too.

http://www.citizenship.gov.au/applyi...s/online_apps/
Old Oct 29th 2012, 1:16 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Have a read of this thread last year. Also this one about the Ceremony.