police records

Old Sep 18th 2003, 4:09 pm
Just Joined

frankie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default police records

Got a problem that maybe some one can help me with,I have been offered employment in nz but am required to get a police check-In 1987 I was done for drink driving,refusing a breath test and assaulting a copper,will all show up on my police background check and if it does will it affect my immigration application as they are asking for the police check and will they inform my employer as I did not mention it to them as I did not think it a true character assessment at this present time.If anyone can shed some light on my problem it would be of great help-frankiel
Old Sep 18th 2003, 7:09 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Can only advise you on part of your query, but its a start. Theres a very good chance that the charge of Assaulting the Police officer will be on there, and you should certainly declare it. The others might appear - its less likely, but if all charge were dealt with at the same time, they will probably be all on it together.
I would be very surprised if it is mentioned to your employer as this would contravene the Data Protection Act - the information on the Police Check is yours, and it is up to you to show it to the employer. Also, the immigration authorities will not know whether you have already told your employer.
If you believe it was not a true portrayal of your character, I suggest you enclose a description of events, from your own point of view, as mitigating circumstances.

"This is neither legal advice, nor official police advice"
Old Sep 19th 2003, 3:31 pm
Just Joined

Default military record.

thanks very much for your help pollyana but I am afraid it gets worse,I read a reply to someone about immigration will ask for your military discharge papers and as my conduct was not exemplary they will probably realise I was also in trouble in the military as well,and to be honest I was court marshalled and sent to prison but I was not kicked out but carried on to finish my time.I read that if you have been court marshalled immigration will not let me in ,so do you have any advice for me on this matter as it all very disturbing to me as all I want to do is go and have a good life.I have been out of the military now for about 15 years and have had no trouble with police since then.Hope you can be of help -kenny.
Old Sep 19th 2003, 4:01 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, outside my field of knowledge I'm afraid. You might be best actually talking to a migration agent - someone like George Lombard or Alan Collett. I can tell you that I have seen SOME court martial records actually on police conviction files - usually when they involve members of the public, or an offence against common law rather than military law. Beyond that, I can't help I'm afraid.

Pollyana
Old Sep 19th 2003, 4:40 pm
Nov 27th 2003: Brisbane

BrisbaneBrummie is an unknown quantity at this point

Funnily enough. I went and applied for my police check today. Should come back in 40 days they said.

Unlike you Frankie, I dont have anything of that nature hanging round my kneck....but....I suggest you attach a letter explaining your character NOW......and get some written character letters off anyone who knows you and hold respectable positions.

Good luck mate

Trev
Old Sep 20th 2003, 11:24 am
Just Joined

Default much appreciated.

thanks pollyana and trev for the help and the contacts ,it is much appreciated,I will let you know the outcome-by for now-frankie.
Old Sep 20th 2003, 11:38 am
Home and Happy

Be interested to hear.
Best of luck,
Pollyana