Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Police Checks. Subject Access Form or ACPO ??

Police Checks. Subject Access Form or ACPO ??

Old May 6th 2008, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

CYGNET will become famous soon enoughCYGNET will become famous soon enough
Default Police Checks. Subject Access Form or ACPO ??

Hi
I know there have been numerous threads about this, but after reading most of them today, there seems to be conflicting advice.

We have sent our application online & I am now looking into the PCC's.

My understanding is, that we can either fill out the Subject Access Form for £10, which can take up to 40 days & is valid for 12 months.
Or, we can download the ACPO Police Certificate from the website, which costs £35, much quicker turnaround, but is only valid for 6 months.

I'm confused as to which process to choose?
As I said we have just applied, so I presume it will be a few months before the Case Officer will request them, so do I gamble & do the Subject Access & hope they are not requested in the next 40 days.

Or do the quicker option, but then find that they are no longer valid, I can't see us moving within the next 6 months. As when we get the Visa we have to put the house on the market. God know how long that will take, with the state of the market at the moment.

Any thoughts ?
Old May 6th 2008, 2:51 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Police Checks. Subject Access Form or ACPO ??

Originally Posted by CYGNET
Hi
I know there have been numerous threads about this, but after reading most of them today, there seems to be conflicting advice.

We have sent our application online & I am now looking into the PCC's.

My understanding is, that we can either fill out the Subject Access Form for £10, which can take up to 40 days & is valid for 12 months.
Or, we can download the ACPO Police Certificate from the website, which costs £35, much quicker turnaround, but is only valid for 6 months.

I'm confused as to which process to choose?
As I said we have just applied, so I presume it will be a few months before the Case Officer will request them, so do I gamble & do the Subject Access & hope they are not requested in the next 40 days.

Or do the quicker option, but then find that they are no longer valid, I can't see us moving within the next 6 months. As when we get the Visa we have to put the house on the market. God know how long that will take, with the state of the market at the moment.

Any thoughts ?
The official version now seems to be that you should submit the ACPO check, and if you tell most Forces that you need the check for migration purposes they will advise you to contact ACPO.
Old May 6th 2008, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

llanfachreth is an unknown quantity at this point

Does it only last 6 months?
Old May 7th 2008, 6:49 am
Forum Regular

bugdog has a spectacular aura aboutbugdog has a spectacular aura aboutbugdog has a spectacular aura about

I,m also interested in this,our situation is that we have done old style police checks which expire sept 08.We are hoping to have our visas before that,but would not be able to enter the country before this date.So are thinking of renewing them,do they only last 6 months?
Old May 7th 2008, 10:25 pm
Forum Regular

JoanneG is on a distinguished road

Hi

Sent my APCO off on the Thursday and it was back on the Tuesday, excellent turnaround. All advice i have had is to complete this one as it is being piloted in several countries. They are valid for 12 months it states it on the certificate. It is on all the immigration sites. If you have the old one and it is valid you should be ok.

Hope this helps!!

Joanne
Old May 8th 2008, 7:49 am
Forum Regular

CYGNET will become famous soon enoughCYGNET will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by JoanneG
Hi

Sent my APCO off on the Thursday and it was back on the Tuesday, excellent turnaround. All advice i have had is to complete this one as it is being piloted in several countries. They are valid for 12 months it states it on the certificate. It is on all the immigration sites. If you have the old one and it is valid you should be ok.

Hope this helps!!

Joanne
Thanks guys for the advice
I think I'll go for the ACPO online one, prefer to pay the extra for the quick turnaround.