Police Check and citizenship

Old Jun 5th 2011, 12:37 pm
Just Joined

paton_j192 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Police Check and citizenship

I am a permanent resident in Australia and am about to start applying for citizenship. I was reading somewhere that if you have lived outside Australia as a permanent resident then you need to have another police check. I fall under this category as I came back to the U.K once I had validated my visa.

Does anyone know if I can do this from Australia? I was looking at the police website and it seems the police check is only available to those in the U.K?

Thanks for any help
Old Jun 5th 2011, 8:42 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Police Check and citizenship

Originally Posted by paton_j192
I am a permanent resident in Australia and am about to start applying for citizenship. I was reading somewhere that if you have lived outside Australia as a permanent resident then you need to have another police check. I fall under this category as I came back to the U.K once I had validated my visa.

Does anyone know if I can do this from Australia? I was looking at the police website and it seems the police check is only available to those in the U.K?

Thanks for any help
Police checks are available from the UK, they will post them to Australia but not everyone needs one.

http://www.citizenship.gov.au/applyi...nts/character/
The overseas penal clearance certificate requirements for Australian citizenship applications apply to the time you have held a permanent Australian visa.

Penal clearance certificates from overseas countries are required if:

you lived or travelled overseas since the age of 18 years or over
you held a permanent Australian visa at that time
the total time spent overseas added up to 12 months or more
the time spent in any one country was more than 90 days
requested by the department.

So unless that lot applies to you they are unlikely to request one.
If it does apply to you, the link is http://www.acpo.police.uk/certificates.asp