Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Police Cautions Impacting Working Holiday Visa (Subclass 417)

Police Cautions Impacting Working Holiday Visa (Subclass 417)

Old Jan 30th 2011, 9:34 pm
Just Joined

morganlight is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Police Cautions Impacting Working Holiday Visa (Subclass 417)

Hi,

I'm planning on a round the world trip starting this september. My plan is to stay for a prolonged period on oz and apply for a 12 month working visa. However when I was at university I was a very silly boy and got myself into a bit of bother. I ended up with two police cautions for possession of a controlled substance. The message from most forums is clear - always declare any dark history when applying. However the application wording asks

"have you ever been convicted of a crime or offence in any country (including any conviction which is now removed from official records)?"

The simple answer to this is no - as a police caution is not a conviction, but it will show on my police check I'm sure. Any help will be much appreciated as the worry is beginning to impact my plans!
Old Jan 31st 2011, 3:49 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Police Cautions Impacting Working Holiday Visa (Subclass 417)

A police caution is a conviction. By accepting the caution you have pled guilty to the charge. The answer to the question of whethr you have been convicted it "yes".
Old Jan 31st 2011, 5:38 am
You call that a moustache

ex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
A police caution is a conviction. By accepting the caution you have pled guilty to the charge. The answer to the question of whethr you have been convicted it "yes".
and a drug conviction too, sorry two drug convictions.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 10:51 am
Just Joined

So full disclosure is best.

Do you think it will impact my application?
Old Jan 31st 2011, 9:10 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morganlight
So full disclosure is best.

Do you think it will impact my application?
Likely not.
Old Feb 1st 2011, 1:05 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
A police caution is a conviction.
In fact, technically it is not a conviction (at least not under UK law), although increasingly treated as such.

Last edited by JAJ; Feb 1st 2011 at 1:09 am.
Old Feb 1st 2011, 12:00 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JAJ
In fact, technically it is not a conviction (at least not under UK law), although increasingly treated as such.
Correct - a criminal conviction can only be given in a court of law
Old Feb 20th 2011, 7:54 pm
Just Joined

suzymcculloch is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi how did u get on with your visa? My husband is in the same boat, but his convictions were 10years ago so hope really hoping it comes through ok! its a waiting game..

Hope everything went ok with yours.

Suzy
Old Feb 20th 2011, 10:10 pm
Just Joined

Hey, I emailed the embassy and they told me to attach supporting documents detailing the cautions etc to my application...

So i applied online then the bloody system crashed before I could attach the documents the application!! The following morning I got confirmation of my visa, however I still emailed saying there has been an oversight and I'd like to disclose my supporting documents regardless. I wanted to be honest, plus its not something that I want to be accused of hiding further down the line.

Basically I sent the supporting docs off last week and haven't heard anything back as of yet. The visa has been accepted though - I just wanted to disclose the cautions regardless.

Good luck in your case, I'll let you know any updates or advice I can offer.
Old Feb 20th 2011, 10:39 pm
Forum Regular

martin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud of

Having been there and done that I can tell you that there is no need whatsoever to disclose a caution for a working holiday visa. It is NOT a criminal conviction. You do however have to disclose it when applying for a permanent resident visa as there is an extra question, have you ever been found guilty of an offence.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 6:04 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by martin1978
Having been there and done that I can tell you that there is no need whatsoever to disclose a caution for a working holiday visa. It is NOT a criminal conviction. You do however have to disclose it when applying for a permanent resident visa as there is an extra question, have you ever been found guilty of an offence.
There is no point in NOT disclosing the caution for a WHV. As you say, it does have to be disclosed when you apply for a PR visa, you will also declare that you have previously held a WHV and they can and will then check and note that you did not declare the caution on that application. They could well want to know why and wonder if you're withholding any other pertinent information.

Tell the truth, and you'll have nothing to worry about
Old Feb 21st 2011, 10:04 am
Just Joined

Well hopefully I've made the right choice, still nothing back from WHM helpdesk and my last email was sent Thursday 17th. I even went out of my way to disclose my cautions - so I def can't be accused of trying to hide my history!!
Old Feb 21st 2011, 7:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light

My WHV application was approved in approximately 4 minutes, so I imagine they'll be checking things out?
Old Jun 9th 2011, 6:35 am
Just Joined

lozzaw123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by morganlight
Hi,

I'm planning on a round the world trip starting this september. My plan is to stay for a prolonged period on oz and apply for a 12 month working visa. However when I was at university I was a very silly boy and got myself into a bit of bother. I ended up with two police cautions for possession of a controlled substance. The message from most forums is clear - always declare any dark history when applying. However the application wording asks

"have you ever been convicted of a crime or offence in any country (including any conviction which is now removed from official records)?"

The simple answer to this is no - as a police caution is not a conviction, but it will show on my police check I'm sure. Any help will be much appreciated as the worry is beginning to impact my plans!

Hey mate I'm in the same situation as you. I got nicked a month ago for being in possesion of class A drug.
I'm really worried incase I don't get my visa.
Is it best to declare it and be honest because I'm certain they can find out !

Didi you get your Visa in the end ?