Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Points and visa changes question - skilled migration

Points and visa changes question - skilled migration

Old May 23rd 2007, 3:16 am
Account Closed

hippymike is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Points and visa changes question - skilled migration

Hi all,

I am currently in Australia on a 457 sponsored visa gathering together everything I need to apply for skilled migration as an IT professional.

I exceed the 120 point pass mark on the eligibility test, but was wondering if all 120+ point applications are treated equally. At the moment, I have evidence to support 125 points, but if I asked my referees to add extra detail (mainly salary details) to the references, I would score more like 145-150. So my question: Is it worth it? Will an application with 145 points be processed any quicker than a 125 point application? It has taken me nearly 5 months to get a reference from my UK and current Australian employers, and if i go back and ask them to amend, it is likely to take a while. All ths despite writing the references myself and just asking them to validate, print and sign! in fact, I have yet to receive a reference from a 3 month job in Australia in 2004 even though I requested it early February.
Basically, if a higher score isnt processed any quicker, I wont bother. I am annoyed at myself that I only checked the reference requirements for the ACS and not the bonus points on the visa application :curse:

Secondly, if I apply for my skills assessment (with ACS) beforeSeptember 1st and receive approval, but submit my visa application after September 1st, will immigration ask me to be re-assessed for skills as a result of the upcoming visa changes?

Cheers,
Mike
Old May 23rd 2007, 3:26 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Points and visa changes question - skilled migration

Originally Posted by hippymike
Hi all,

I am currently in Australia on a 457 sponsored visa gathering together everything I need to apply for skilled migration as an IT professional.

I exceed the 120 point pass mark on the eligibility test, but was wondering if all 120+ point applications are treated equally. At the moment, I have evidence to support 125 points, but if I asked my referees to add extra detail (mainly salary details) to the references, I would score more like 145-150. So my question: Is it worth it? Will an application with 145 points be processed any quicker than a 125 point application? It has taken me nearly 5 months to get a reference from my UK and current Australian employers, and if i go back and ask them to amend, it is likely to take a while. All ths despite writing the references myself and just asking them to validate, print and sign! in fact, I have yet to receive a reference from a 3 month job in Australia in 2004 even though I requested it early February.
Basically, if a higher score isnt processed any quicker, I wont bother. I am annoyed at myself that I only checked the reference requirements for the ACS and not the bonus points on the visa application
Higher points score makes no difference to processing time. It may just give you a buffer against being over-optimistic in your assessment.

Secondly, if I apply for my skills assessment (with ACS) beforeSeptember 1st and receive approval, but submit my visa application after September 1st, will immigration ask me to be re-assessed for skills as a result of the upcoming visa changes?
If you apply to DIAC on or after 1 September, you will need to meet the new rules and new points test.
Old May 23rd 2007, 3:56 am
Account Closed

Thanks for your fast response. I suspected that points over the pass mark would be irrelevant, but always good to check.

I have no problems in meeting the current or the upcoming points test, I am fortunate that I qualify for bonus points and highest points in most categories.

However, I haven't been able to find any information about whether the skills assessment process is also changing. I contacted ACS and they told me that I should contact DIAC directly. I have, but had no response yet.

Don't want to waste $350 applying for ACS assessment only to find that instead of being valid for a year, it will be void on September 1st.

Haven't been able to find any info about whether skills assessment is also changing in September.

Cheers
Old May 23rd 2007, 3:59 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hippymike
However, I haven't been able to find any information about whether the skills assessment process is also changing. I contacted ACS and they told me that I should contact DIAC directly. I have, but had no response yet.

Don't want to waste $350 applying for ACS assessment only to find that instead of being valid for a year, it will be void on September 1st.
The changes flagged up for September will not invalidate ACS skill assessments issued before that date.

Nothing is ever guaranteed long term so you should not let yourself be paralysed by indecision. The worst that can happen is that you lose $350 (plus any consequences from your employer).
Old May 23rd 2007, 4:34 am
Account Closed

Brilliant. Thanks for your help. In that case, I will be submitting my skills assessment as soon as my parents forward through my uk reference.

Cheers