PMV Application - Queries and Next Steps

Old May 16th 2015, 7:59 am
Forum Regular

Croker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond repute
Default PMV Application - Queries and Next Steps

Hello!

So, my Prospective Marriage Visa application is ticking along (I did my medical and police check in mid-April, and have completed and uploaded both to my ImmiAccount). Obviously now I’m just playing the waiting game, but I do have a few queries about the next steps if anyone is kind enough to help!

1. When the visa’s granted (hopefully I’m not tempting fate by saying “when” rather than “if” ), I know I have 9 months to enter Australia and get married. The ceremony’s booked for 21/11/15, 13.5 months after the date of application – so hopefully I’ll get a grant at the 10 month stage of proceedings rather than the 14 month period! Anyway, once we’re married, I then have to lodge a Partner application – is that correct?

2. If so, how much does the Partner application cost when following on from a successful Prospective Marriage Visa application? I’m having trouble working this out; the Immi website states that a Visa Application Charge will still need to be paid for this Partner application, but it’s been suggested to me that the amount paid is different (i.e. lower) if following on from a PMV, rather than what you would pay for a brand new application. Is this correct? If so, what is the charge? Or am I going to get whacked for the full amount for a Partner application?

3. I know we have to show evidence of us living as man and wife for a period of 2 years before PR would be granted as the partner of an Australian citizen – but when does this 2 year period begin? Is it as soon as we lodge the Partner application after our wedding? Or does the whole 9 months conferred by the PMV have to expire before the 2 year count starts?

4. We’re intending to go on honeymoon 2 days after our wedding, to South-East Asia for a couple of weeks. Do we need to have lodged the Partner Application before we go on honeymoon, or can I leave and enter Australia without issue as the holder of a PMV (even though I’ll be married by the time I travel)? I don’t want to have a nice honeymoon and then get refused entry on my return!

5. As I understand it, I’m allowed to work in Australia after my PMV is granted and I arrive in country. Is that correct? If not, when would I be allowed to work?

6. In the event of the absolute disaster of the PMV not being granted before the day of our wedding, my belief is that I can – as a last resort – enter Australia as a visitor and go ahead with the wedding, and then ask for my application to be changed to that of a Partner, rather than a PMV. Is this correct? If so, would I be required to pay the full fee for a Partner application (or indeed any fee) for making such a change? If this isn’t correct, what would my options be in this worst-case scenario?

Wow, turns out I had more questions than I thought. I’ll be seriously grateful for any advice that anyone can provide, I promise you!

Thanks in advance!
Old May 16th 2015, 8:35 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PMV Application - Queries and Next Steps

Originally Posted by Croker
Hello!

So, my Prospective Marriage Visa application is ticking along (I did my medical and police check in mid-April, and have completed and uploaded both to my ImmiAccount). Obviously now I’m just playing the waiting game, but I do have a few queries about the next steps if anyone is kind enough to help!

1. When the visa’s granted (hopefully I’m not tempting fate by saying “when” rather than “if” ), I know I have 9 months to enter Australia and get married. The ceremony’s booked for 21/11/15, 13.5 months after the date of application – so hopefully I’ll get a grant at the 10 month stage of proceedings rather than the 14 month period! Anyway, once we’re married, I then have to lodge a Partner application – is that correct?
Yep, once the PMV is granted you have 9 months to enter Aus, get married and lodge the Partner Application.

2. If so, how much does the Partner application cost when following on from a successful Prospective Marriage Visa application? I’m having trouble working this out; the Immi website states that a Visa Application Charge will still need to be paid for this Partner application, but it’s been suggested to me that the amount paid is different (i.e. lower) if following on from a PMV, rather than what you would pay for a brand new application. Is this correct? If so, what is the charge? Or am I going to get whacked for the full amount for a Partner application?
At the moment its a lower price when going from PMv but the prices are changing on 1st July so look out after that as no-one really knows yet whats happening.
3. I know we have to show evidence of us living as man and wife for a period of 2 years before PR would be granted as the partner of an Australian citizen – but when does this 2 year period begin? Is it as soon as we lodge the Partner application after our wedding? Or does the whole 9 months conferred by the PMV have to expire before the 2 year count starts?
The 2 years isn't set in stone for evidence. You can use anything that helps show your relationship since you lodged the PMV, though they will want most of it to cover the period after you move to Aus and marry.
4. We’re intending to go on honeymoon 2 days after our wedding, to South-East Asia for a couple of weeks. Do we need to have lodged the Partner Application before we go on honeymoon, or can I leave and enter Australia without issue as the holder of a PMV (even though I’ll be married by the time I travel)? I don’t want to have a nice honeymoon and then get refused entry on my return!
Your PMV is good for multiple entry and you don't need to lodge before going on honeymoon. As long as you lodge within the 9 months you are fine
5. As I understand it, I’m allowed to work in Australia after my PMV is granted and I arrive in country. Is that correct? If not, when would I be allowed to work?
Yes you can work straight away.
6. In the event of the absolute disaster of the PMV not being granted before the day of our wedding, my belief is that I can – as a last resort – enter Australia as a visitor and go ahead with the wedding, and then ask for my application to be changed to that of a Partner, rather than a PMV. Is this correct? If so, would I be required to pay the full fee for a Partner application (or indeed any fee) for making such a change? If this isn’t correct, what would my options be in this worst-case scenario?

Wow, turns out I had more questions than I thought. I’ll be seriously grateful for any advice that anyone can provide, I promise you!

Thanks in advance!
Don't know about that one i'm afraid! You can certainly enter and marry on a tourist visa but not sure about the rest. It should be granted by then though.
If you get near the deadline, drop your co a polite email and ask them-that might prompt a grant
Old May 17th 2015, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

Croker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond repute

What a brilliant, helpful and detailed answer. Thanks ever so much, Pollyana! My fiancee and I are very grateful!
Old May 18th 2015, 5:59 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

What a brilliant, helpful and detailed answer. Thanks ever so much, Pollyana! My fiancee and I are very grateful!
Scousers have the best manners
Old May 18th 2015, 6:55 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse

No probs, good luck!
Old May 19th 2015, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
...and you, like my fiancee, have been wise enough to marry one!