Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Permanent Residency and Health Requirements...

Permanent Residency and Health Requirements...

Old May 14th 2008, 4:27 am
Just Joined

In_A_Rut will become famous soon enough
Default Permanent Residency and Health Requirements...

Has anybody been refused permenent residency for health reasons other than the usual (HIV/TB/Heart problems)? I have 4 weeks to go until I can start to apply for my PR (yey!) but only today have been sent for tests for degenerative arthritis. I'm really worried that if the tests come back positive, they'll refuse me my visa. Could this happen???
Old May 14th 2008, 7:50 am

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Permanent Residency and Health Requirements...

Originally Posted by In_A_Rut
Has anybody been refused permenent residency for health reasons other than the usual (HIV/TB/Heart problems)? I have 4 weeks to go until I can start to apply for my PR (yey!) but only today have been sent for tests for degenerative arthritis. I'm really worried that if the tests come back positive, they'll refuse me my visa. Could this happen???
There is a threshold, 25K or so over 5 year period (been a while since I read that, may be I am mistaken, but the order is about right). If your treatment is going to cost more, then application will be rejected. If it is less, then it should not be. The costs of potential treatment are calculated as if you arrive on day one totally sick and will be without any income and no private insurance for the said period, as if the government foots the total bill. Not fair, I know.

Arguments that you are going to work or buy insurance or have savings, etc. seem to have no effect. I suggest to talk to a agent who has experience processing applications with complex medical history - if you find out cost of treatment upfront, then you will be able to better gauge your chances.

NJ
Old May 14th 2008, 7:55 am
Just Joined

In_A_Rut will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by newjersey
There is a threshold, 25K or so over 5 year period (been a while since I read that, may be I am mistaken, but the order is about right). If your treatment is going to cost more, then application will be rejected. If it is less, then it should not be. The costs of potential treatment are calculated as if you arrive on day one totally sick and will be without any income and no private insurance for the said period, as if the government foots the total bill. Not fair, I know.

Arguments that you are going to work or buy insurance or have savings, etc. seem to have no effect. I suggest to talk to a agent who has experience processing applications with complex medical history - if you find out cost of treatment upfront, then you will be able to better gauge your chances.

NJ
Thank you - that's really helpful! I am going through an agent so I will write to her as well.
Old May 16th 2008, 4:59 am
Forum Regular

jpen29 is an unknown quantity at this point

Will DIAC automatically reject the visa application of applicants found to be suffering from TB/HIV/hepa?? Whats the rule about this?
Old May 16th 2008, 6:52 am
Forum Regular

The Woods is a jewel in the roughThe Woods is a jewel in the roughThe Woods is a jewel in the roughThe Woods is a jewel in the rough

Look here for the official line:

http://www.immi.gov.au/media/fact-sheets/22health.htm

We're waiting to see if we've 'passed' our meds too - one of our kids has a rare chromosome disorder. LCU have confirmed that our meds were assessed and the results sent to our CO, over 2 weeks ago. Considering his working hours are from midnight until 8am UK time, I've not had much sleep for quite some time.
Old May 22nd 2008, 11:51 pm
Just Joined

Dogmarsh is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by In_A_Rut
I am in similar position. I can start the process for PR at end of June, but I had Rectal Cancer operation in March. I've been given the all clear after pathology, but I too am worried that medical exam will be unfavorable. I will watch your case with interest. Good luck!
Old May 23rd 2008, 2:21 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jpen29
Will DIAC automatically reject the visa application of applicants found to be suffering from TB/HIV/hepa?? Whats the rule about this?
Often yes. No hard and fast rule (except for active TB) but the costs involved in treating HIV usually mean automatic refusal, except for those cases with a health waiver available (spouse).

Hepatitis is a more grey are but still often leads to refusal so professional assistance is essential.
Old May 23rd 2008, 3:18 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Often yes. No hard and fast rule (except for active TB) but the costs involved in treating HIV usually mean automatic refusal, except for those cases with a health waiver available (spouse).

Hepatitis is a more grey are but still often leads to refusal so professional assistance is essential.
JAJ just curious but why would you get a health waiver if say you had hiv/hep,surely you are still going to cost the oz gov a lot of money,as im sure you might not get private health insurance
Old May 23rd 2008, 3:56 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
JAJ just curious but why would you get a health waiver if say you had hiv/hep,surely you are still going to cost the oz gov a lot of money,as im sure you might not get private health insurance

Because it is allowed on certain visas, for example, spouse and dependent child.
Old May 23rd 2008, 4:02 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Because it is allowed on certain visas, for example, spouse and dependent child.
Cheers.