Perm Visa Question on Points

Old Jan 30th 2005, 10:55 pm
Forum Regular

numbers is on a distinguished road
Default Perm Visa Question on Points

Hi, sorry to bother you all, as you may have seen on recent threads my partner who is a nurse is looking to go to Auz through the temp visa route via sponsorship, but after much advice im looking into the Perm Res Visa (136). I have been advised to read through all the info which i am doing, it will take sometime!! One question if you please.

I decided to go through the self assessment form to score both me and my partner, and my patner of course scored 140 as she is 30 yrs old and a registered nurse. I too have good marks, but on looking at the skills, as an accountant i have to get my skills assessed by the Australian Acountancy body.. I have a CIPFA qual and it says i should be assessed as suitable for migration. However, the cost is $350 AUZ and timescale 3-4 months. this is just to get my skills points. What im not clear about is if i need to do this at all?? im not clear if it says that I have to pass the 120 score as well as my partner? In short, do we both need to pass the score??? Any advice please to save me $350 and 4 months!! I know in time il have to do something like this to practice, but will this hold up my partners application if we go down this route??? she will leave me for sure :scared: only kidding, help!!
Old Jan 31st 2005, 2:17 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perm Visa Question on Points

Originally Posted by tonyclark
Hi, sorry to bother you all, as you may have seen on recent threads my partner who is a nurse is looking to go to Auz through the temp visa route via sponsorship, but after much advice im looking into the Perm Res Visa (136). I have been advised to read through all the info which i am doing, it will take sometime!! One question if you please.

I decided to go through the self assessment form to score both me and my partner, and my patner of course scored 140 as she is 30 yrs old and a registered nurse. I too have good marks, but on looking at the skills, as an accountant i have to get my skills assessed by the Australian Acountancy body.. I have a CIPFA qual and it says i should be assessed as suitable for migration. However, the cost is $350 AUZ and timescale 3-4 months. this is just to get my skills points. What im not clear about is if i need to do this at all?? im not clear if it says that I have to pass the 120 score as well as my partner? In short, do we both need to pass the score??? Any advice please to save me $350 and 4 months!! I know in time il have to do something like this to practice, but will this hold up my partners application if we go down this route??? she will leave me for sure :scared: only kidding, help!!

Only one partner needs to pass the basic requirements and points test. Unless you plan to claim spouse skill points there is no need to get your skills assessed if your partner qualifies in her own right.

One trap you need to be aware of is that any employment less than 20 hours a week is not counted by DIMIA for general skilled. This catches out many nurses who work part time.

Jeremy

Last edited by JAJ; Jan 31st 2005 at 2:25 am.
Old Jan 31st 2005, 7:16 pm

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
Only one partner needs to pass the basic requirements and points test. Unless you plan to claim spouse skill points there is no need to get your skills assessed if your partner qualifies in her own right.

One trap you need to be aware of is that any employment less than 20 hours a week is not counted by DIMIA for general skilled. This catches out many nurses who work part time.

Jeremy
A very good point to make Jeremy,
I was very worried for a while about my hours but after a detailed look at my exact shifts I have worked 13 out of 18 months 20+ hours per week. The rest of the months are too ropey to count.
Providing DIMIA are satisfied that I meet the basic requirments I should also have 140 points. To be safe though we submitted evidence that my spouse also meets the basic requirements, therefore he had a engineering skills assessment done and included an employment statement. That way I figured that if I fail for any reason as primary applicant (pretty sure I won't) his skills definately pass and he has enough points - I take it that his skills would be assessed instead? The only reason I went as primary applicant was because I am a nurse on MODL, but my husbands occupation is worth 60 points for skill.

In some cases its definately worth paying the money for your spouses skills to be assessed.

Lynn
Old Feb 1st 2005, 12:14 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnlovessun
A very good point to make Jeremy,
I was very worried for a while about my hours but after a detailed look at my exact shifts I have worked 13 out of 18 months 20+ hours per week. The rest of the months are too ropey to count.
Providing DIMIA are satisfied that I meet the basic requirments I should also have 140 points. To be safe though we submitted evidence that my spouse also meets the basic requirements, therefore he had a engineering skills assessment done and included an employment statement. That way I figured that if I fail for any reason as primary applicant (pretty sure I won't) his skills definately pass and he has enough points - I take it that his skills would be assessed instead? The only reason I went as primary applicant was because I am a nurse on MODL, but my husbands occupation is worth 60 points for skill.

In some cases its definately worth paying the money for your spouses skills to be assessed.

Lynn
As far as I'm aware, if both spouses have done skill assessments, DIMIA will assess both of you separately (counting spouse skills if necessary each time).

Jeremy