Paying for overseas police checks

Old Jul 24th 2007, 5:45 pm
Forum Regular

tayley is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Paying for overseas police checks

Help required please about paying for police checks in Euros
How have people been paying their 13 euros for the german police checks? I went to the halifax today and they said for each 13 euro transaction their was a £17.50 bank charge. Is this right? Can i make one transaction for 26 euros or not?
Many thanks
Old Jul 24th 2007, 8:23 pm
Just Joined

Jojo11 is just really niceJojo11 is just really niceJojo11 is just really niceJojo11 is just really niceJojo11 is just really niceJojo11 is just really niceJojo11 is just really niceJojo11 is just really niceJojo11 is just really niceJojo11 is just really nice
Default Re: Paying for overseas police checks

Originally Posted by tayley
Help required please about paying for police checks in Euros
How have people been paying their 13 euros for the german police checks? I went to the halifax today and they said for each 13 euro transaction their was a £17.50 bank charge. Is this right? Can i make one transaction for 26 euros or not?
Many thanks
Hi,

I cant answer whether or not the bank is right to charge that extortionate amount, but IMO it's disgusting.
Unfortunately you cannot make one transaction for 26 euros. It has to be two seperate transactions, one for each of you. It was easy for us as we live in Germany and have a German bank account, they didnt charge us for doing it either. Just another example of "Rip Off Britain"

Regards

Jo
Old Jul 24th 2007, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

German Dave is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jojo11
Hi,

I cant answer whether or not the bank is right to charge that extortionate amount, but IMO it's disgusting.
Unfortunately you cannot make one transaction for 26 euros. It has to be two seperate transactions, one for each of you. It was easy for us as we live in Germany and have a German bank account, they didnt charge us for doing it either. Just another example of "Rip Off Britain"

Regards

Jo
So the German Banks don't rip you off? From my experience - yes - they do! A simple transaction like that could set you you back a fair bit if you're wanting to do an overseas bank transaction from a German bank to an account or person outside Germany. Or to anyone with a Euro denominated account anywhere else in Europe for that matter.

You can moan about a lot of things about the UK but banking, in my experience, isn't one of them. Stay in credit and you avoid the charges - by and large. It ain't like that in Germany and in most cases in Australia too.

Out of curiosity - where abouts in Germany are you?

Cheers -

Dave.

Out of curiosity, where are you?
Old Jul 24th 2007, 10:37 pm
Forum Regular

tayley is an unknown quantity at this point

jojo11

thank you for your earlier PM about how to obtain the paper work to get these checks, I'm just amazed at the cost that the bank is charging, I'm going to try TSB tomorrow and see if they are a bit more reasonable.
Old Jul 25th 2007, 10:56 am
Just Joined

Jojo11 is just really niceJojo11 is just really niceJojo11 is just really niceJojo11 is just really niceJojo11 is just really niceJojo11 is just really niceJojo11 is just really niceJojo11 is just really niceJojo11 is just really niceJojo11 is just really nice

Originally Posted by German Dave
So the German Banks don't rip you off? From my experience - yes - they do! A simple transaction like that could set you you back a fair bit if you're wanting to do an overseas bank transaction from a German bank to an account or person outside Germany. Or to anyone with a Euro denominated account anywhere else in Europe for that matter.

You can moan about a lot of things about the UK but banking, in my experience, isn't one of them. Stay in credit and you avoid the charges - by and large. It ain't like that in Germany and in most cases in Australia too.

Out of curiosity - where abouts in Germany are you?

Cheers -

Dave.

Out of curiosity, where are you?
German Dave,

Like i said, In My Opinion, it's a rip off. Tayley is being charged more than the actual cost of the police checks to transfer the money over and that just doesnt seem right. I have never been charged for any transactions in my German bank account including European & overseas transfers, so "personally" i am happy with the German banking system.
I wasn't trying to get hooked into a debate about the German banking system being better or worse and whether they are a rip off, or whether i believe UK is a "rip off" country, but in this particular instance i believe it is. I was just answering Tayleys question.

Regards

Jo

Last edited by Jojo11; Jul 25th 2007 at 11:02 am.
Old Jul 25th 2007, 12:15 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jojo11
Like i said, In My Opinion, it's a rip off. Tayley is being charged more than the actual cost of the police checks to transfer the money over and that just doesnt seem right. I have never been charged for any transactions in my German bank account including European & overseas transfers, so "personally" i am happy with the German banking system.
I have never heard of a banking system that doesn't charge for overseas transactions.
Old Jul 25th 2007, 8:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant future

Im in spain and i am trying to get my spanish police checks done what a polaver. I sent off the application twice without success which was free. Now they have sent my paperwork back and stated there is a new proceedure. I have been told diac will do it on my behalf but if its taken me 3 months up to now without success, i cant see them doing it any quicker and would only hold our visa up. So tomorrow im off to an interpreter to find out how i get this new police report filled in. Nothing is ever easy in spain