Passports - Two Years Validity?

Old Mar 4th 2010, 8:58 am
Just Joined

jimanG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Passports - Two Years Validity?

Is it true that you need two years validity left on your passport when submitting the visa application? I'm currently waiting on my skills assessment (which touch wood should be back within the next couple of weeks) before submitting a 175 csl application, but have realised that my UK passport expires on 28th March 2012.

Obviously getting concerned that if there are any delays in getting my skills assessment back it's going to take me over the 28th March before i can get the application in. How strict are the Australian immigration authorities with this rule, as i don't want to particularly renew my passport and lose the last two years on it if it's not necessary.

Thanks

Jim
Old Mar 4th 2010, 10:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passports - Two Years Validity?

I can only say I have never heard of this rule myself.
Old Mar 4th 2010, 1:07 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I can only say I have never heard of this rule myself.
As long as your passport is valid at the time of visa issue, it doesn't matter how long its valid for from DIAC's point of view. The OP would be fine to apply without renewing it.
Old Mar 4th 2010, 2:21 pm
Just Joined

jimanG is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Passports - Two Years Validity?

Thanks guys

I've been reading so many documents in the past month on the application process that I must have got my wires crossed somewhere along the line!
Old Mar 4th 2010, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

clarinsred is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
As long as your passport is valid at the time of visa issue, it doesn't matter how long its valid for from DIAC's point of view. The OP would be fine to apply without renewing it.

Sorry to hijack post…
My passport had over 15 months when I originally applied (October 2008), it has now run out, and I have since got a new passport (This Week). Should I inform DIAC?
Thanks
Old Mar 4th 2010, 5:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

B1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jimanG
Is it true that you need two years validity left on your passport when submitting the visa application? I'm currently waiting on my skills assessment (which touch wood should be back within the next couple of weeks) before submitting a 175 csl application, but have realised that my UK passport expires on 28th March 2012.

Obviously getting concerned that if there are any delays in getting my skills assessment back it's going to take me over the 28th March before i can get the application in. How strict are the Australian immigration authorities with this rule, as i don't want to particularly renew my passport and lose the last two years on it if it's not necessary.

Thanks

Jim
The CO send me an email last week since my passport was not accepted since it was going to expire in the next 2 years and I had to renew it and re-upload it.

Cheers
B1K3R
Old Mar 4th 2010, 9:41 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clarinsred
Sorry to hijack post…
My passport had over 15 months when I originally applied (October 2008), it has now run out, and I have since got a new passport (This Week). Should I inform DIAC?
Thanks
Yes, as your visa number will be linked to your passport number
Old Mar 5th 2010, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

clarinsred is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Yes, as your visa number will be linked to your passport number
Thanks for that I will sort it now.