Passports in different names?

Old Jun 17th 2010, 1:40 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Passports in different names?

Interesting one this, definitely in JAJ's sphere, though I'm hoping someone else might have experience of it.
Is it legal to hold passports for two countries, in different surnames?

Current UK passport in my married name.
If I go for Aussie citizenship then that will also be in my married name as I'm not divorced yet (and the hassle of changing it without a divorce is just stupid!) and hence my Aussie passport would be in my married name.
If I then get divorced, and change my UK passport back to my maiden name - which I would like to do - is it legal to keep the Aussie passport in my married name or do I legally have to change that one as well?
Old Jun 17th 2010, 3:01 am
Forum Regular

Effie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Passports in different names?

I had the similar situation a number of years ago... my british passport was in my married name as was my citizenship certificate, I changed it at a later date but I dont believe it was a legal requirement. I think I used a passport in my maiden name (even though it was expired) but was also told that I could have retained the passport in my married name.
Old Jun 17th 2010, 3:22 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Effie1970
I had the similar situation a number of years ago... my british passport was in my married name as was my citizenship certificate, I changed it at a later date but I dont believe it was a legal requirement. I think I used a passport in my maiden name (even though it was expired) but was also told that I could have retained the passport in my married name.
Thanks, sounds similar. I know I can have a passport in either the married or maiden name, what I'm after is whether both passports have to be in the same name - thinking of the cost as much as anythign else, of changing them both! If I change on from Polly X back to Polly Y, does the other one have to be Polly Y as well or can I legally hold a UK passport as Polly X and an Aus one as Polly Y ?!!
Old Jun 17th 2010, 4:32 am
Forum Regular

Effie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Thanks, sounds similar. I know I can have a passport in either the married or maiden name, what I'm after is whether both passports have to be in the same name - thinking of the cost as much as anythign else, of changing them both! If I change on from Polly X back to Polly Y, does the other one have to be Polly Y as well or can I legally hold a UK passport as Polly X and an Aus one as Polly Y ?!!
I'm pretty sure I kept my Aus passport in my married name until it expired because it matched with my citizenship documents and changed my uk one back to my maiden name because it was about to expire
Old Jun 17th 2010, 4:36 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Effie1970
I'm pretty sure I kept my Aus passport in my married name until it expired because it matched with my citizenship documents and changed my uk one back to my maiden name because it was about to expire
Sounds good to me - I'd be keeping the Aus one in the maried name to match the certificate too Thanks!
Old Jun 17th 2010, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

jayde is an unknown quantity at this point

Interesting one this, definitely in JAJ's sphere, though I'm hoping someone else might have experience of it.
Is it legal to hold passports for two countries, in different surnames?

Current UK passport in my married name.
If I go for Aussie citizenship then that will also be in my married name as I'm not divorced yet (and the hassle of changing it without a divorce is just stupid!) and hence my Aussie passport would be in my married name.
If I then get divorced, and change my UK passport back to my maiden name - which I would like to do - is it legal to keep the Aussie passport in my married name or do I legally have to change that one as well?
Have you thought of returning to your family name? I did and although a lot of places told me I could not as I wasnt divorced they were wrong. It is your name after all, you have a birth certificate. You have to get it changed somewhere first and I found DSS was happy with a stat dec, and then drivers and everyone else was fine with it.

Just a thought, it may not be what you want, but I am very happy with my own name!

Last edited by jayde; Jun 17th 2010 at 7:27 pm. Reason: typo
Old Jun 18th 2010, 12:49 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I am not aware of any obligation to have passports from different countries in the same name, although if in different names you need to be careful about which one you use.

For example, if living in Australia, air tickets would always need to be in the name on the Australian passport.
Old Jun 18th 2010, 1:53 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by jayde
Have you thought of returning to your family name? I did and although a lot of places told me I could not as I wasnt divorced they were wrong. It is your name after all, you have a birth certificate. You have to get it changed somewhere first and I found DSS was happy with a stat dec, and then drivers and everyone else was fine with it.

Just a thought, it may not be what you want, but I am very happy with my own name!
Thats what I'm doing, going back to my maiden name. However to get my UK passport back into my maiden name I either need a divorce certificate (not eligible yet!) or I have to go through the rigmarole of legally changing my name through the Qld Registrars Office. So its easier to wait till I'm divorceed, then change it back with the divorce certificate The only iD I have in my married name is the passport, I don't need to worry about DSS/Centrelink or drivers licences or anything (I don't drive).

Originally Posted by JAJ
I am not aware of any obligation to have passports from different countries in the same name, although if in different names you need to be careful about which one you use.

For example, if living in Australia, air tickets would always need to be in the name on the Australian passport.
Thanks
Good to know there's no legal obligation for them to match. I'm conscious of the air ticket thing anyway, as the only time I use my married name is for travelling - causes havoc at work cos their systems can't cope with me using a different surname day-to-day from the one on the bookings!!
Old Jun 18th 2010, 5:56 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm conscious of the air ticket thing anyway, as the only time I use my married name is for travelling.
Be aware that if you are paying for an airline ticket by credit card some airlines require the name on the credit card to match the name on the airline ticket. Singapore Airlines for example require this.

In other words: If your credit card is Polly X, then your passport must be for Polly X as well, so that your airline ticket is for Polly X as well - all three must match.

Once you've got UK/Oz citizenship you must leave Oz on your Oz passport.
Old Jun 18th 2010, 6:10 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by ozhappy981
Be aware that if you are paying for an airline ticket by credit card some airlines require the name on the credit card to match the name on the airline ticket. Singapore Airlines for example require this.

In other words: If your credit card is Polly X, then your passport must be for Polly X as well, so that your airline ticket is for Polly X as well - all three must match.

Once you've got UK/Oz citizenship you must leave Oz on your Oz passport.
Thanks, but no problem there - tickets are always paid for on a card that gets FF points, so the name on that one matches the FF card/tickets and passport, although I always fly Qantas and they aren't quite as anal as some airines about the credit card thing.
And I know about the leaving/entering Aus thing, I'd have to use the AUs passport as I wouldn't have a visa any longer. I've actually got used to dealing with life under two names now so I don't see the logistics as being a problem, should make life easier in fact as I'll have photo ID in both names
My main worry was some obscure law somewhere meaning it was illegal and I would HAVE to get a new Aus passport when I change my name back, as well as a UK one. If I can leave changing the Aus one for a while it'll be cheaper Purely financial consideration really!!!