Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Passport Validity - New July 2011 Point System Concern

Passport Validity - New July 2011 Point System Concern

Old Apr 27th 2011, 1:33 am
Just Joined

arnoldc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Passport Validity - New July 2011 Point System Concern

Hello everyone, I need help and advice.

I would like to apply for 175 visa under the current point system since I might not be qualified under the new point system in July. My ACS skill assessment was already finalized and I will be taking IELTS next week. My problem is my passport is valid only until Dec 2012. I have read in Immi.gov.au that I need a passport that is valid at least 2 yrs before I lodge my application.

I called the Passport-issuing agency in my country and they said that the soonest I can have my renewed passport would be mid-July which is too late because the new point system will then be already in effect. I already contacted DIAC about this and I'm waiting for their response. Any of you who were allowed by your case officer to change passport after the lodging your application? Any thoughts?

Thank you.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 2:16 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passport Validity - New July 2011 Point System Concern

Originally Posted by arnoldc

I would like to apply for 175 visa under the current point system since I might not be qualified under the new point system in July. My ACS skill assessment was already finalized and I will be taking IELTS next week. My problem is my passport is valid only until Dec 2012. I have read in Immi.gov.au that I need a passport that is valid at least 2 yrs before I lodge my application.

I called the Passport-issuing agency in my country and they said that the soonest I can have my renewed passport would be mid-July which is too late because the new point system will then be already in effect. I already contacted DIAC about this and I'm waiting for their response. Any of you who were allowed by your case officer to change passport after the lodging your application? Any thoughts?

Thank you.
You just need a valid passport when your visa is granted.

You don't have to have a valid passport when applying, or even have a passport at all, and it is only a recommendation that your passport needs to be valid for two years.

If you have a valid passprot when you apply, put the number on the form. If you get a new passport during the application process, complete Form 929 and send DIAC the new passport details.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 2:24 am
Just Joined

arnoldc is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
You just need a valid passport when your visa is granted.

You don't have to have a valid passport when applying, or even have a passport at all, and it is only a recommendation that your passport needs to be valid for two years.

If you have a valid passprot when you apply, put the number on the form. If you get a new passport during the application process, complete Form 929 and send DIAC the new passport details.
Thanks. This boost my spirit.
Old May 24th 2011, 2:52 am
Forum Regular

atif.javed is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by arnoldc

Thank you.
I have the same problem, my passport expires in March,2012, and thinking about renewal. Now I am relax.