Passport Guarantor in UK for Aus

Old Mar 28th 2014, 6:30 pm
Forum Regular

rabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Passport Guarantor in UK for Aus

Ok this is surprisingly annoying. I cannot find a suitable passport guarantor in the UK. Of course I have in the past known many people that could sign but after many years I have lost touch with them.

I asked at my local bank today, whom I have been with 15 years and was told flat out no, they were a bit rude about it as well. Jobsworths.

Has anyone used a solicitor to sign? I am willing to pay, although technically I don't *know* them personally for 12 months I wonder if that really matters.
Old Mar 28th 2014, 10:31 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passport Guarantor in UK for Aus

Originally Posted by rabble_rouser
Ok this is surprisingly annoying. I cannot find a suitable passport guarantor in the UK. Of course I have in the past known many people that could sign but after many years I have lost touch with them.

I asked at my local bank today, whom I have been with 15 years and was told flat out no, they were a bit rude about it as well. Jobsworths.

Has anyone used a solicitor to sign? I am willing to pay, although technically I don't *know* them personally for 12 months I wonder if that really matters.
There are a long list of people who can certify - http://www.citizenship.gov.au/applyi...upations_list/

You can ask anyone who knows you in some way - old school teacher, doctor, dentists, etc

Last edited by old.sparkles; Mar 28th 2014 at 10:40 pm.
Old Mar 28th 2014, 11:56 pm
Forum Regular

rabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
There are a long list of people who can certify - http://www.citizenship.gov.au/applyi...upations_list/

You can ask anyone who knows you in some way - old school teacher, doctor, dentists, etc
Actually that's citizenship not passport, which has far less.
http://www.uk.embassy.gov.au/lhlh/PptsGuarant.html

Haven't been to a doctor or dentist in donkeys either.

Last edited by rabble_rouser; Mar 28th 2014 at 11:59 pm.
Old Mar 29th 2014, 1:38 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Trying to think back but could be wrong so ignore if you wish but can't a Magistrate do it if you take photographic/abode type proof with you? A bit like using a JP here. Or I'm fairly sure you can get it done at Aus House, again if you have proof of ID with you. That could be a pain if you live miles away from London but as you can hand the application in at the same time it could work.
Old Mar 29th 2014, 4:12 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Only the manager of the branch is authorised to sign, and only then if he or she knows you personally.

Needs to know you personally for 12 months, according to the instructions. Usually a solicitor would be ok, but you'd need to have been a client for at least that time.

If you really don't know anyone in the approved groups (really - not anyone?) then an Australian citizen with a valid passport is usually able to act as guarantor. Do you know any Australian citizens, either in the U.K. or Australia?

Presumably you're aware that a guarantor is not usually needed for renewal of an adult passport.
Old Mar 29th 2014, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
Only the manager of the branch is authorised to sign, and only then if he or she knows you personally.

Needs to know you personally for 12 months, according to the instructions. Usually a solicitor would be ok, but you'd need to have been a client for at least that time.

If you really don't know anyone in the approved groups (really - not anyone?) then an Australian citizen with a valid passport is usually able to act as guarantor. Do you know any Australian citizens, either in the U.K. or Australia?

Presumably you're aware that a guarantor is not usually needed for renewal of an adult passport.
Well I called Australia house and they said try my local bank, it doesn't matter if they don't know me personally but they can vouch as I've done business with the establishment for x years. I reckon people are terrified of signing things - I recall a similar drama with my UK passport.

Regarding the solicitor they said its up to them whether or not they'll do it, as long as their happy to sign it then there's no problem. So I guess I'll try and see.
Old Mar 29th 2014, 3:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Trying to think back but could be wrong so ignore if you wish but can't a Magistrate do it if you take photographic/abode type proof with you? A bit like using a JP here. Or I'm fairly sure you can get it done at Aus House, again if you have proof of ID with you. That could be a pain if you live miles away from London but as you can hand the application in at the same time it could work.
I'll ask Aus House if that's possible, if so then that would save a lot of hassle as I could get it done on the spot.

Do you think a local police station could do it?
Old Mar 29th 2014, 8:41 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I'll ask Aus House if that's possible, if so then that would save a lot of hassle as I could get it done on the spot.

Do you think a local police station could do it?
You'd have to ask. Its not down to the station, its down to the individual officer.
Old Mar 31st 2014, 9:36 am
BE Enthusiast

canadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
You'd have to ask. Its not down to the station, its down to the individual officer.
I always hated these ones as I haven't commited crimes or been ill so not sure how I would know a solicitor, judge, parole officer, doctor, etc.

Any Australian citizen can do it for you now. Do you know any?
Old Mar 31st 2014, 12:52 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by canadaeh
I always hated these ones as I haven't commited crimes or been ill so not sure how I would know a solicitor, judge, parole officer, doctor, etc.

Any Australian citizen can do it for you now. Do you know any?
Of course I do. I live in Brisbane. I am one (for my sins ).

You don't need to have committed a cfime to know police officers, judges etc. I have fiends in both countries who are police officers and JPs, but regardless of that, JPs in Aus are in mst shopping centres, and in the UK can be reached via a magistrates court. Solicitors are found in every town in abundance.
Old Mar 31st 2014, 4:04 pm
Forum Regular

Ok after contacting some really old friends I found one who now works for the council, albeit in a menial hands on role. But, the list does say Local Government employees.