Passport Expiration

Old Jul 27th 2005, 9:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute
Default Passport Expiration

We intend on moving to oz after daughter finishes her GSCEs, so arrive July 2006.

However, we have just noticed that my wifes passport runs out on 9 July 2006. What does this mean for us? Do we need a new passport before we go? Will DIMIA need to be contacted as the application and medical forms all have my wifes current passport number on them, and I assume that is the passport DIMIA will want to stamp the visa in.

Im surprised DIMA didnt say something when we sent them certified copies of the passport pages with the application

I need to speak to my agent tomorrow, but any opions from others would be appreciated.
Old Jul 27th 2005, 9:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passport Expiration

Originally Posted by manxfamily
We intend on moving to oz after daughter finishes her GSCEs, so arrive July 2006.

However, we have just noticed that my wifes passport runs out on 9 July 2006. What does this mean for us? Do we need a new passport before we go? Will DIMIA need to be contacted as the application and medical forms all have my wifes current passport number on them, and I assume that is the passport DIMIA will want to stamp the visa in.

Im surprised DIMA didnt say something when we sent them certified copies of the passport pages with the application

I need to speak to my agent tomorrow, but any opions from others would be appreciated.

We have a similair situation. I was about to send our application off and read that you need to have at least 2 years left on your passport.

Sara's passport runs out in Sept 2006 so we need to get it sorted. Luckily we have a passport office in town and can get a passport sorted in 4 hours.

Graham
Old Jul 27th 2005, 10:41 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

The "route of least hassle" will be to get a new passport now, *before* any visa is stamped in it.

Travelling with visa in an expired passport carries a risk of delay at check-in if the airline staff get confused.

Jeremy
Old Jul 27th 2005, 10:53 pm
Just Joined

gp18264 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Gravyman
We have a similair situation. I was about to send our application off and read that you need to have at least 2 years left on your passport.

Sara's passport runs out in Sept 2006 so we need to get it sorted. Luckily we have a passport office in town and can get a passport sorted in 4 hours.

Graham
Hi there

My passport expires April 06 and I have just received it back from AHC with visa in it

Graham
Old Jul 28th 2005, 8:13 am
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gp18264
Hi there

My passport expires April 06 and I have just received it back from AHC with visa in it

Graham
And when are you planning to travel
Old Jul 28th 2005, 8:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JAJ
The "route of least hassle" will be to get a new passport now, *before* any visa is stamped in it.

Travelling with visa in an expired passport carries a risk of delay at check-in if the airline staff get confused.

Jeremy
Will DIMIA have to be informed of the new passport number as the current one is on alll documentation?
Old Jul 28th 2005, 10:19 am
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute

Will DIMIA have to be informed of the new passport number as the current one is on alll documentation?
I was in exactly the same situation - literally my passport ran out in July 2006 also. I fillled the forms in at the post office and paid the £7 extra handling charge (total being £49.00) posted it off to UKPA on the Monday and had a spanking new one delivered on the Thursday (which expires July 2016) - impressive service i thought.

My agent told me that i would have to get a certified copy of the (new) bio page, which off course i have and i have filed in form 1022 - change of circumstance.
Old Jul 28th 2005, 10:22 am
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute

Basically the reason i did this was so that i could enter and leave Aus (fingers crossed we get a visa granted!!) without having to carry 2 passports - the expired one with the visa in it and the new one without the visa in it !
Old Jul 28th 2005, 2:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Finally got word back from agent, and its pretty much as you have all said.

“If you can have the visa issued into the current passport then apply for
the new one, you can travel carrying the 2 passports - one your current
passport and the old passport with the current visa in.

You have to be onshore in Australia to have your re-visa evidenced into
your new passport.

The other option is to get your new passport now, then one you have it
we will require a certified copy of the new passport and complete a
change in circumstances form to update the DIMIA of your new passport
information.�

So nothing to worry about.
Old Jul 28th 2005, 2:28 pm
Off to Perth in early Oct

youcanlaugh is a jewel in the roughyoucanlaugh is a jewel in the roughyoucanlaugh is a jewel in the roughyoucanlaugh is a jewel in the roughyoucanlaugh is a jewel in the rough

My application was being processed but the visa wasn't issued when I noticed the passport was due to expire. As it turns out, my CO noticed at the same time and asked me to renew my passport, send them a certified copy along with a 1022 (change in circumstances) form. Very simple.
Old Jul 28th 2005, 6:41 pm
Just Joined

gp18264 is an unknown quantity at this point

And when are you planning to travel
Hi

I plan to travel in October but will renew my passport if I need to travel later and I'll just carry both until I arrive in Oz. I will then have Visa transferred to new passport

Graham
Old Jul 28th 2005, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

brian0 is a jewel in the roughbrian0 is a jewel in the roughbrian0 is a jewel in the roughbrian0 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by gp18264
Hi

I plan to travel in October but will renew my passport if I need to travel later and I'll just carry both until I arrive in Oz. I will then have Visa transferred to new passport

Graham
We have a similar issue in that our passports will expire about 18 months from now. We will be in Oz by then, so my question is what is the process to get your visa transferred to a new passport? From what it sounds like you can travel with both the old and new passport, but that would be a hassle long term, so I would want to get the visa re-done in the new passports. Is this easy to do once in Oz?

Thanks!
Brian
Old Jul 28th 2005, 8:33 pm
Off to Perth in early Oct

youcanlaugh is a jewel in the roughyoucanlaugh is a jewel in the roughyoucanlaugh is a jewel in the roughyoucanlaugh is a jewel in the roughyoucanlaugh is a jewel in the rough

One word of warning about renewing your UK passport in Oz. I think it is done at the embassy. A friend of mine renewed at an Embassy (not in Oz), but it didn't have the BIO data at the bottom of the page meaning that he woin't be able to use it to travel to the US as they are bringing in rules only to allow people with the BIO data to enter the US.

Just thought I'd mention it. Maybe the Oz embassy do print it with the bio data, or maybe all emabssies do now that the US are introducing those rules, but worth checking I would have thought.
Old Jul 29th 2005, 12:32 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by youcanlaugh
One word of warning about renewing your UK passport in Oz. I think it is done at the embassy. A friend of mine renewed at an Embassy (not in Oz), but it didn't have the BIO data at the bottom of the page meaning that he woin't be able to use it to travel to the US as they are bringing in rules only to allow people with the BIO data to enter the US.

Just thought I'd mention it. Maybe the Oz embassy do print it with the bio data, or maybe all emabssies do now that the US are introducing those rules, but worth checking I would have thought.

The British High Commission in Canberra has issued machine readable passports for some time.

As far as I know, all British missions should have been upgraded to issue machine readable passports by end 2003.

Your friend should get a new passport now - it's going to be quicker and easier than applying for a US tourist visa.

Jeremy
Old Jul 29th 2005, 12:34 am
JAJ
Retired

Finally got word back from agent, and its pretty much as you have all said.

“If you can have the visa issued into the current passport then apply for
the new one, you can travel carrying the 2 passports - one your current
passport and the old passport with the current visa in.

You have to be onshore in Australia to have your re-visa evidenced into
your new passport.

The other option is to get your new passport now, then one you have it
we will require a certified copy of the new passport and complete a
change in circumstances form to update the DIMIA of your new passport
information.�

So nothing to worry about.
If you take the first option, be sure to leave plenty of time for check-in as people have suffered delays or missed flights because airline staff don't always understand DIMIA policy.

Also because with a visa in an old passport they can't match it up electronically the passport and visa details they way they are supposed to, and while some will just override with a supervisors/managers authority, others will want to get a boarding clearance from DIMIA in Australia. Which can take time.

Jeremy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.