passport about to expire

Old Mar 4th 2007, 10:24 pm
Just Joined

Thadie is a jewel in the roughThadie is a jewel in the roughThadie is a jewel in the roughThadie is a jewel in the roughThadie is a jewel in the rough
Default passport about to expire

hi...I hope someone can help....

I know this has probably been asked many times but what happens if your passport expires with your visa in it. If I renew the passport, do I just have to take the old passport with the visa in as well when travelling to Aus, or must I have the visa put into the new passport? If this is the case how long does it take?

thanks
Old Mar 4th 2007, 11:19 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: passport about to expire

Originally Posted by Thadie
hi...I hope someone can help....

I know this has probably been asked many times but what happens if your passport expires with your visa in it. If I renew the passport, do I just have to take the old passport with the visa in as well when travelling to Aus, or must I have the visa put into the new passport?
In theory you can keep visa in old passport. However in practice not all airline staff understand this and you will face a risk of delay at check-in.

Any DIMA office can normally re-stamp a visa (free) however some offshore offices don't like doing this.

Why did you not renew your passport before the visa was stamped?
Old Mar 5th 2007, 7:27 am
Just Joined

Thadie is a jewel in the roughThadie is a jewel in the roughThadie is a jewel in the roughThadie is a jewel in the roughThadie is a jewel in the rough

thanks

the visa was granted in October 2005 and the passport had just under 2 years left on it......still making decision about moving. We validated last year in Adelaide - beautiful city etc but just couldn't see ourselves living there..........we are planning a trip to Perth next month hopefully. As a last resort I could apply for a holiday visa to go in the new passport until the PR visa is transfered....I guess this is an option !

thanks again
Old Mar 5th 2007, 7:33 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thadie
As a last resort I could apply for a holiday visa to go in the new passport until the PR visa is transfered....I guess this is an option !
If you are granted an ETA whilst holding a permanent visa, the ETA has no effect while the permanent visa remains in force (whether in a current or expired passport).

If you are granted a paper visitor visa, your permanent visa will lapse when your visitor visa is granted.

Long and short: do not apply for any other visa so long as you hold a valid permanent visa - regardless whether the permanent visa is attached to an expired or current passport.

Peter
Old Mar 5th 2007, 4:35 pm
Just Joined

wow thanks for that !!

I telephoned my agent and apparently you have to renew the visas in australia.....so it is a case of taking your old passport with you.......

thanks for your help.