Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Passed AIM assessment, is PR visa 99% sure?

Wikiposts

Passed AIM assessment, is PR visa 99% sure?

Old Nov 13th 2005, 4:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

obiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to behold
Default Passed AIM assessment, is PR visa 99% sure?

Hi there,

I was very happy to pass the difficult AIM assessment (Gen Manager), I was wondering if anyone had any info on whether my getting a PR visa (136) is a sure thing?

Will DIMIA still scrutinize my application? or are positive assessments from AIM given a lot of weight by DIMIA?

I noticed there arent too many active topics re: AIM assessments

Thanks for any info...I am now impatiently waiting for my med requests .

cheers!

Old Nov 13th 2005, 9:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

welshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passed AIM assessment, is PR visa 99% sure?

Hi Obi

A sure thing ? if you got through the AIM you deserve your visas delivered ona plate with air-line tickets to Australia.

Unfortunately you will have to meet the 136 criteria.

I assume you are aged 30 to 34 and are making the investment or are also claiming spouse points if you are aged 35 to 39 as it is rare an under 30 could get through AIM.

The AIM approval does not specify an actual ASCO Code and can be used as a successful skills assessment against any of the occupations that AIM are the assessing body. The letter may or may not make it clear which period of employment AIM considered to be at the appropriate level - it may be a 5 year period or a 3 year period. You application is stronger if your required 12/18 months and 3 years/4 experience for DIMIA, is part of the 3 or 5 years deemed suitable for AIM. DIMIA may ask for some further info if your AIM references did not state full-time or some other technical bit but you are pretty much guaranteed that DIMIA will not knock back any experience deemed as suitable for AIM for AIM purposes.

So all other things being equal, looks a sure thing subject to all applicants meeting health and character requirements.

Regards

Tony

Originally Posted by obiwan
Hi there,

I was very happy to pass the difficult AIM assessment (Gen Manager), I was wondering if anyone had any info on whether my getting a PR visa (136) is a sure thing?

Will DIMIA still scrutinize my application? or are positive assessments from AIM given a lot of weight by DIMIA?

cheers!

Old Nov 14th 2005, 12:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

obiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by welshtony
Hi Obi

A sure thing ? if you got through the AIM you deserve your visas delivered ona plate with air-line tickets to Australia.

Regards

Tony
Hi Tony,

Thank you for your reply . free tickets would be nice LOL..

you are right, I am 34 years old and will use the 100k investment. I have an MBA so i dont know if that gave me some extra credits. My wife stopped working in 2002. She worked for a large MNC bank

My General Manager experience of 4 years was divided into two different companies...

the 1st two years I was the Country General Manager of a relatively large MNC firm with 150 employees with several departments (Marketing, Finance, HR, Operations, Service, Warehousing depts. all reporting to me), the 2nd two years i transferred to a a smaller firm but engaged in 3 different businesses.

I read another thread that another AIM assessee who front loaded his meds in Aug 2005 got his request for investment in only 4 weeks...i hope mine is that fast....

Cheers!
Old Nov 14th 2005, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

welshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Tony,

Thank you for your reply . free tickets would be nice LOL..

you are right, I am 34 years old and will use the 100k investment. I have an MBA so i dont know if that gave me some extra credits. My wife stopped working in 2002. She worked for a large MNC bank

My General Manager experience of 4 years was divided into two different companies...

the 1st two years I was the Country General Manager of a relatively large MNC firm with 150 employees with several departments (Marketing, Finance, HR, Operations, Service, Warehousing depts. all reporting to me), the 2nd two years i transferred to a a smaller firm but engaged in 3 different businesses.

I read another thread that another AIM assessee who front loaded his meds in Aug 2005 got his request for investment in only 4 weeks...i hope mine is that fast....

Cheers!
Sounds good if this 4 years of was the last 4 years. AIM would have given you a 2 year credit against the required 5 years of senior management level experience required. With 2 +2 years with last two wmployeers, this shows that both periods were recognised by AIM, if you had 3 years with the previous employer, you could not say for definite that AIM recognised your current two years - so I am looking to pick holes but I can't.

4 weeks ? was probably SIR or went to one of those agents who can swing things lol

Tony
Old Nov 14th 2005, 8:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

jonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to all

Hi there,

cheers!

Well done at getting through I wok in HR at a senior level and having to appeal as for some reason they do not rate HR. I have only found 1 person who works with HR who has got through the AIM.
Old Nov 14th 2005, 9:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jonjon
Well done at getting through I wok in HR at a senior level and having to appeal as for some reason they do not rate HR. I have only found 1 person who works with HR who has got through the AIM.
Yes, AIM are looking for very senior management experience. HR manager would not cut the mustard unless the company was so big it had the structure of a Senior/chief or Principal HR Manager who was managing managers - so below the Top HR manager there would be possibly another HR manager with other managers reporting to the top person or through this other subordinate HR manager. So the company would need plenty of employees for such a structure andalthough the AIM guide is for a company to have over 200 employees to be possibly at the correct level, it may take more emplyees to justify the required structure.

Regards

Tony
Old Nov 14th 2005, 9:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

jonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to all

Yes, AIM are looking for very senior management experience. HR manager would not cut the mustard unless the company was so big it had the structure of a Senior/chief or Principal HR Manager who was managing managers - so below the Top HR manager there would be possibly another HR manager with other managers reporting to the top person or through this other subordinate HR manager. So the company would need plenty of employees for such a structure andalthough the AIM guide is for a company to have over 200 employees to be possibly at the correct level, it may take more emplyees to justify the required structure.

Regards

Tony
Hi Tony

Yes I have found this out despite working as a divisional HR manager for the NHS with 4 direct reports covering some 2500 staff members. In addition having worked within 3 other organisations in HR and as a member of the senior management team I was still rejected.

I am currently appealing on the basis that I have gained Fellow membership of the UK governing body the CIPD which has a greater assessment requirement than the AIM (A minimum of 10 years at senior management level) and this has not been taken into consideration with my application.

However I am not hopeful it has gone to the committee for review and I awaiting the outcome (boy the waiting is killing me)

If this fails I can still get just enough points going via Vetassess as a Personnel Consultant (50 Points) but i am not sure how likely this will be to get through the DIMIA. My wife skills are currently being assessed by Vetassess for Perssonel Officer (50 points)

Any ideas
Old Nov 14th 2005, 9:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi Tony

Yes I have found this out despite working as a divisional HR manager for the NHS with 4 direct reports covering some 2500 staff members. In addition having worked within 3 other organisations in HR and as a member of the senior management team I was still rejected.

I am currently appealing on the basis that I have gained Fellow membership of the UK governing body the CIPD which has a greater assessment requirement than the AIM (A minimum of 10 years at senior management level) and this has not been taken into consideration with my application.

However I am not hopeful it has gone to the committee for review and I awaiting the outcome (boy the waiting is killing me)

If this fails I can still get just enough points going via Vetassess as a Personnel Consultant (50 Points) but i am not sure how likely this will be to get through the DIMIA. My wife skills are currently being assessed by Vetassess for Perssonel Officer (50 points)

Any ideas
UK membership will not count for much, has greater quantity requirement but lesser quality requirement. Divisional HR Manager of the size you have described, should be acceptable but maybe you do not have the required 3 or 5 years at this level. Appeal should really be based on the level of management of the managers you manage, if you know what I mean. If you don't get any joy with an appeal, then let me know and you could maybe consider a new application with new evidence. I assume the AIM 60 point gets you a permanent visa whereas the SIR avenue via VETASSESS is a fall-back position.

Regards

Tony
Old Nov 14th 2005, 10:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

UK membership will not count for much, has greater quantity requirement but lesser quality requirement. Divisional HR Manager of the size you have described, should be acceptable but maybe you do not have the required 3 or 5 years at this level. Appeal should really be based on the level of management of the managers you manage, if you know what I mean. If you don't get any joy with an appeal, then let me know and you could maybe consider a new application with new evidence. I assume the AIM 60 point gets you a permanent visa whereas the SIR avenue via VETASSESS is a fall-back position.

Regards

Tony

Hi Tony

I have already done this along this the CIPD information, I has supplied them with an additional 4 pages of information including operating levels and direct contact numbers of directors within each organisational so that can validate the additional information directly if the chose.

I have worked as a HR manager for the last 8 years and prior to that I have a general manager for a retail superstore and have added that to my additional information I sent in

I have also focused on my operating level and strategic contribution whilst working as a member of the senior management team and the role that I have played in shaping the strategic direction of the organisation.

I am aware that the CIPD may not necessarily carry any weight but it was worth a try.

I suppose time will tell but the anticipation and waiting is killing me it was been over 4 weeks since my appeal was put forward to the AIM I chased the manager at the AIM last week (I must say they have been very helpful) who said they would chase the committee for me.

If with additional information I have already supplied it does not get through I think there is very little hope and I will be “flogging and dead horse” and will then have to do the personnel consultant role at 50 points.

Unfortunately everything is on hold until the AIM come back to me and that is the frustrating part.

regards

jon
Old Nov 14th 2005, 10:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi Tony

If with additional information I have already supplied it does not get through I think there is very little hope and I will be “flogging and dead horse” and will then have to do the personnel consultant role at 50 points.

Unfortunately everything is on hold until the AIM come back to me and that is the frustrating part.

regards

jon
Yes, I think you have given them all you can by the sounds of it, from what you say, if you have been Divisional HR manager for the required 3 or 5 years, I can't see how they could say no, but I am not sure how long you have been in this position. AIM will advise you if, for example, you have been in this position for only the last 2 years and they are happy with that position only, you will qualify in a year or three if you remain in the same position. Good luck wit hthe review.

Tony
Old Nov 14th 2005, 10:07 pm
Reg. Migration Agent

George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Tony

Any ideas
JonJon,

If you've got an option for a 50 point skills assessment you ought to grab it. Not sure how you came to the conclusion that it might be hard to get the occupation Personnel Consultant through DIMIA - as long as you've got a Vetassess assessment in the right ASCO code they won't question it, and thankfully they tend to apply the ASCO descriptors rather than the AIM criteria when evaluating people for recent work experience in management occupations. Your assessed occupation and work experience don't have to be in the same occupation, of course.

Unfortunately a lot of people are attracted by AIM since it's possible to qualify without formal qualifications and some people find it flattering to think of themselves as senior managers, but my advice to anyone thinking of such an application is to call Barbara Kerabrum there first. My guess in your situation was that it would have been impossible for you to show sufficient involvement in the strategic management of the organisation. The AIM used to have a chart in its application documentation indicating how the size of the organisation and the manager's position intersected, however that seems to have been removed to make an applicant's job that much harder :-(

Cheers,

George Lombard

www.austimmigration.com.au
Old Nov 14th 2005, 10:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yes, I think you have given them all you can by the sounds of it, from what you say, if you have been Divisional HR manager for the required 3 or 5 years, I can't see how they could say no, but I am not sure how long you have been in this position. AIM will advise you if, for example, you have been in this position for only the last 2 years and they are happy with that position only, you will qualify in a year or three if you remain in the same position. Good luck wit hthe review.

Tony
Thanks for help Tony I will let you know
Old Nov 14th 2005, 10:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by George Lombard
JonJon,

If you've got an option for a 50 point skills assessment you ought to grab it. Not sure how you came to the conclusion that it might be hard to get the occupation Personnel Consultant through DIMIA - as long as you've got a Vetassess assessment in the right ASCO code they won't question it, and thankfully they tend to apply the ASCO descriptors rather than the AIM criteria when evaluating people for recent work experience in management occupations. Your assessed occupation and work experience don't have to be in the same occupation, of course.

Unfortunately a lot of people are attracted by AIM since it's possible to qualify without formal qualifications and some people find it flattering to think of themselves as senior managers, but my advice to anyone thinking of such an application is to call Barbara Kerabrum there first. My guess in your situation was that it would have been impossible for you to show sufficient involvement in the strategic management of the organisation. The AIM used to have a chart in its application documentation indicating how the size of the organisation and the manager's position intersected, however that seems to have been removed to make an applicant's job that much harder :-(

Cheers,

George Lombard

The assumption I made was that Jon needed 60 points for some permanent visa option whereas the 50 points would mean a much less attractive SIR Temporary option. The Chart you refer to George is at the end of the downloadable AIM application form on the AIM website

Tony
Old Nov 14th 2005, 10:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by George Lombard
JonJon,

Cheers,

George Lombard

George thanks for the comments. I do fully intend to apply to Vetassess if the appeal is rejected. The main reason for the AIM appeal was that I have paid them money so I thought I had better peruse this avenue completely before paying out again.

I have been communicating with Barbara by email who was the one who advised me that she would be putting my application to the committee for review after reading the additional information I sent her. Interestingly this was without me actually requesting a review just highlighting my concerns that I had not been successful and giving additional supporting information as to why I was concerned.

I don’t know if this is a positive or negative sign

If I had know the situation at the start of this process I would only have gone to Vetassess both my wife and I are hoping that with Master degrees in HRM this should get through with out a problem.

Again I suppose time will tell (Hopefully around 4 weeks for my wife’s skills to come back)

Once again many thanks for the positive comments

Regards

Jon

Last edited by jonjon; Nov 14th 2005 at 10:24 pm. Reason: TYPO
Old Nov 14th 2005, 10:25 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

The assumption I made was that Jon needed 60 points for some permanent visa option whereas the 50 points would mean a much less attractive SIR Temporary option. The Chart you refer to George is at the end of the downloadable AIM application form on the AIM website

Tony
Tony,

Jon's earlier post mentioned that he (Jon) would still meet the passmark with a 50-pointer.

Peter

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.