Partner Visa Problems

Old Dec 6th 2010, 1:03 am
Just Joined

lisa2205 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Partner Visa Problems

Hi me and fiance are trying to apply for the partners visa, my bridging visa ends tomorrow. When my fiance went to hand in the forms they said that he might not be an Australian Citizen as he has lived in New Zealand most of his life although he has an Australian Birth Certificate. I have been with my fiance for nearly 3 years and the thought of me having to leave Australia without him terrifies me please help

Kind Regards

Lisa
Old Dec 6th 2010, 1:38 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Partner Visa Problems

Originally Posted by lisa2205
Hi me and fiance are trying to apply for the partners visa, my bridging visa ends tomorrow. When my fiance went to hand in the forms they said that he might not be an Australian Citizen as he has lived in New Zealand most of his life although he has an Australian Birth Certificate. I have been with my fiance for nearly 3 years and the thought of me having to leave Australia without him terrifies me please help

Kind Regards

Lisa
With that tight a timeline I would suggest you speak to a registered migration agent asap as it might be too complex for a forum to get to the bottom of fast.
Also an agent can advise as to what other options you have ......

George Lombard, Alan Collet, Stephen Dickson are all posters on here and might be worth a try
Old Dec 6th 2010, 2:20 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

If you delay lodgement of the application then you become illegal in Australia and will have to leave Australia and sort everything out from offshore.

Doesn't matter what the reason for the delay was.

So he was born in Australia ... if he was born on or after 20 August 1986, then the birth certificate doesn't prove he is an Australian citizen. Where were his parents from and does he have any evidence of Australian citizenship - citizenship certificate or passport.

If you lodge the application and it turns out that your partner is NOT an Australian citizen, permanent resident or "eligible" New Zealand citizen, then you lose the application fee.

Urgent professional assistance clearly needed but it may already be too late to sort things out - why on earth was it all left to the last minute?
Old Dec 6th 2010, 2:44 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
If you delay lodgement of the application then you become illegal in Australia and will have to leave Australia and sort everything out from offshore.

Doesn't matter what the reason for the delay was.

So he was born in Australia ... if he was born on or after 20 August 1986, then the birth certificate doesn't prove he is an Australian citizen. Where were his parents from and does he have any evidence of Australian citizenship - citizenship certificate or passport.

If you lodge the application and it turns out that your partner is NOT an Australian citizen, permanent resident or "eligible" New Zealand citizen, then you lose the application fee.

Urgent professional assistance clearly needed but it may already be too late to sort things out - why on earth was it all left to the last minute?
Thanks JAJ, I was kind-of hoping you'd be around