British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Partner Visa Advice (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/partner-visa-advice-927393/)

LJ27 Aug 22nd 2019 8:03 am

Partner Visa Advice

Hi there,

My husband will be looking to apply for the partner visa in the new year to allow us to make the move to Australia. I'm Australian born but grew up in the UK. Our two daughters will gain citizenship through decent. My husband and I have been together for 11 years and married for 3. Can anyone tell us how long it took to be granted the temporary part of the visa? I see on the department of home affairs website it says 22-28 months processing time but have seen people say they got theirs much quicker than that. Also, any general advice or tips on applying would be greatly appreciated 🥰

quoll Aug 22nd 2019 8:27 am

Re: Partner Visa Advice

Off shore visas are being issued more quickly than onshore ones so you may be lucky - the times go up and down with the seasons. Your children will first need to be registered as citizens by descent with the AHC before they can apply for passports (just an extra step in the process). If you submit now then he will have a year to activate your visa once it is issued and 5 years to make the move. I'd be submitting it now and see what happens. As you've been together so long and have children, he should get the permanent option straight away and not have to go through the temporary steps. The rules have just changed regarding sponsorship so I believe that you now have to go through an extra process, too, to be approved to be a sponsor.

Paul Hand Aug 22nd 2019 8:38 am

Quoted processing times for offshore applications are 15-20 months, although as mentioned, people's mileages do vary. Lower risk applications may come through quicker. The new sponsorship rules have not yet been implemented, so if you can pull together an application relatively quickly then it would be a good idea to do that and lodge before the changes are actually live. Also as mentioned, you will need to make an application for citizenship by descent for your children.

BritInParis Aug 22nd 2019 8:25 pm

Prepare your husband’s application but don’t apply until you have your children’s Certificates of Australian Citizenship by Descent.

Paul Hand Aug 23rd 2019 5:20 am

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12726307)
Prepare your husband’s application but don’t apply until you have your children’s Certificates of Australian Citizenship by Descent.

Out of interest, why?

thanks.

moneypenny20 Aug 23rd 2019 7:52 am

Originally Posted by Paul Hand (Post 12726390)
Out of interest, why?

thanks.

Presumably without their Certificates, they'd have to be included in his application as they'd appear to be non citizens??

BritInParis Aug 26th 2019 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 12726415)
Presumably without their Certificates, they'd have to be included in his application as they'd appear to be non citizens??

Indeed.

Ozziegoinghome Sep 7th 2019 8:39 pm

If you submit now then he will have a year to activate your visa once it is issued and 5 years to make the move.

Apologies for butting in but the quote above has caught my attention. I am in a near-identical situation but further ahead (sorted kids Aussie passports, married 16 years and Hubbies offshore partner visa application lodged in London 5 months ago). We are playing the waiting game but the missing piece of the puzzle for us is how long we have between it being granted (assuming it is) and needing to enter Australia? We are considering putting home up for sale now and handing notice in at work in foreseeable future to avoid a mad rush at the end but it’s a very stressful gamble. If they allow 5 years to make the move that would be an enormous relief for us. Is that true in every case? Thanks so much to those more knowledgable than me.

BritInParis Sep 7th 2019 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by Ozziegoinghome (Post 12732987)
If you submit now then he will have a year to activate your visa once it is issued and 5 years to make the move.

Apologies for butting in but the quote above has caught my attention. I am in a near-identical situation but further ahead (sorted kids Aussie passports, married 16 years and Hubbies offshore partner visa application lodged in London 5 months ago). We are playing the waiting game but the missing piece of the puzzle for us is how long we have between it being granted (assuming it is) and needing to enter Australia? We are considering putting home up for sale now and handing notice in at work in foreseeable future to avoid a mad rush at the end but it’s a very stressful gamble. If they allow 5 years to make the move that would be an enormous relief for us. Is that true in every case? Thanks so much to those more knowledgable than me.

The visa holder would still need to travel to Australia before their health and character checks expired in order to activate it but, yes, you’ll have five years to make a permanent move before needing to apply for a RRV.

moneypenny20 Sep 8th 2019 12:51 am

Originally Posted by Ozziegoinghome (Post 12732987)

Please don't. Just because your visa appears to be a foregone conclusion, doesn't mean it is.

Ozziegoinghome Sep 9th 2019 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 12733029)
Please don't. Just because your visa appears to be a foregone conclusion, doesn't mean it is.

A harsh truth that I’m trying to ignore but of course you are right. If visa gets rejected we are going to relocate anyway but will have to stay in UK. Our window to minimise disruption to kids schooling is until the end of 2020 but that doesn’t mean we can’t go later. Knowing we have 5 years is a huge relief. Thanks for the advice.

Thereandback Jan 29th 2020 8:08 am

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 12733029)

Why would this be the case if health and police checks are good?

moneypenny20 Jan 29th 2020 8:22 am

Originally Posted by Thereandback (Post 12797776)

Because they don't have to approve you for a visa if they don't want to.

Pollyana Jan 30th 2020 4:22 am

Originally Posted by Thereandback (Post 12797776)

Because they have to also establish if the relationship is genuine