Partner Visa

Old Jan 13th 2012, 11:06 am
Just Joined

movingbacktoaus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Partner Visa

We are about to start the process of getting a partner visa for my wife, I'm an Australian citizen by birth and she is British. We also have a 2 year old son. Are we best putting him as a dependant on the application or getting him Aussie citizenship and passport?

I'd like to go down the citizenship and passport route but it's additional money that can be part of the moving fund as he'd be free as part of her application.

Any thoughts or similar experiences?

Thanks.
Old Jan 13th 2012, 11:44 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Partner Visa

Originally Posted by movingbacktoaus
We are about to start the process of getting a partner visa for my wife, I'm an Australian citizen by birth and she is British. We also have a 2 year old son. Are we best putting him as a dependant on the application or getting him Aussie citizenship and passport?

I'd like to go down the citizenship and passport route but it's additional money that can be part of the moving fund as he'd be free as part of her application.

Thanks.
Your baby is an Australian citizen, so you should get him a citizenship certificate and Aussie passport.
Old Jan 13th 2012, 11:54 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Your baby is an Australian citizen, so you should get him a citizenship certificate and Aussie passport.
The child may not be an Australian citizen yet - if born outside Australia, he needs to be registered as an Australian citizen by descent. Citizenship starts once the application has been approved.

Once this is done, then a passport can be applied for - and yes, doing this is the way you should go for your son.
Old Jan 13th 2012, 11:55 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.
A Dorothy said he needs a passport and citizenship certificate,. Its not something you have a choice about - he's an Aussie, cannot legally hold a visa as he holds citizenship.,
Old Jan 13th 2012, 12:22 pm
Just Joined

movingbacktoaus is an unknown quantity at this point

He was born in the UK so not an Australian citizen yet. We've taken him to Australia twice on his British Passport and a tourist visa
Old Jan 13th 2012, 12:36 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

He was born in the UK so not an Australian citizen yet. We've taken him to Australia twice on his British Passport and a tourist visa
If he's Australian he needs a passport. If not, he needs to be on the visa application.
Old Jan 14th 2012, 5:40 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

So the way you should go is register him as an Australian citizen by descent and once approved apply for an Australian passport - both through Australia House in London. Then your wife should apply for a partner visa.
Old Jan 15th 2012, 2:44 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

1. Assuming you want him to be an Australian citizen you are going to have to spend the money sooner or later. Nothing will be automatic and if you leave it until he is much older, it may not even be possible for him to get citizenship. So stop looking for a "saving" that's not there.

2. If you decide not to get him citizenship by descent, you as the sponsor will need to get police clearances as part of the sponsorship process.

3. You don't tell us if you're a British citizen, but if not, it would be advisable to get yourself naturalisation before you leave.