Parents Migration

Old Jan 6th 2013, 1:19 am
Just Joined

bmellor is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Parents Migration

Hi,
If someone could please offer some information on the below question, that would appreciated a great deal.
I'm an Australian Permanent Resident, have been since 2009. I'm a British Citizen and have not yet taken the Aussie Citizenship Operation.
My Parents have been a a few holidays here and are seriously considering moving here permanently, or would like the luxury of extended holidays - with work entitlements.
Both are 50-60 years young and still work (father is builder, mother is social worker - both are qualified).
I have looked into a retirement visa, however it is rather expensive - being that I spent around $6k a few years back on my Skilled Visa, and that was probably the best money I've ever spent.
Is anyone aware of any family visa, or parent visa that is more suitable?
Can I sponsor them as a resident, or do I need to be a citizen?
Also are there restrictions of being on any of those visas?
Your advice is appreciated,

Thanks
Old Jan 6th 2013, 2:46 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Parents Migration

For parents your main options are the contributory parent visa which takes about 18 months but is lots of $$$ or the non-contributory one which costs very little but has a 15 year waiting list. My understanding is you have to have been a permanent resident in Australia for 2 years at the time of application to sponsor.
Old Jan 6th 2013, 2:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

They can take extended holidays, but they are not going to get work rights on them. Parent visa is probably most appropriate in this case. It is very expensive, but not as expensive as the retirement / investment visas and I am not sure if they even exit any more.
Old Jan 7th 2013, 1:53 am
BE Enthusiast

TeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond repute

A Investor/Retirement option is available, however it is a 4 year visa that can be renewed. It does not lead to PR.
The applicant must meet a number of selection criteria including being over 55, have an income and $750,000 to invest. They would be permitted to work 40 hours/fortnight.

Parent Visas
There are a variety of parent visa options, which increase when they reach 65 years of age. As with all visas there are selection criteria that must be met
http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/family/visa-options.htm

You need to contrast, your parents circumstances and needs against the length of the queue for the non-contributory parent visa options and the cost of the contributory visa options.

Last edited by TeeTMI; Jan 7th 2013 at 2:58 am.
Old Jan 7th 2013, 2:28 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Your parents would also have to pass the balance of family test to be eligible to apply for any parent visa
Old Jan 7th 2013, 8:42 am
BE Enthusiast

billymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nice

Originally Posted by spottydog
For parents your main options are the contributory parent visa which takes about 18 months but is lots of $$$ or the non-contributory one which costs very little but has a 15 year waiting list. My understanding is you have to have been a permanent resident in Australia for 2 years at the time of application to sponsor.
can they not apply for a non-contributory visa when in australia as a tourist then stay in australia until it is processed if it take 15 years no prob.
Old Jan 7th 2013, 9:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute

If they come over on a tourist visa with the intention of staying they will be committing fraud which could impact on further visa apps. Also, they would have no work rights on a tourist visa which is one of the points you were wondering about x
Old Jan 7th 2013, 8:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

TeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by billymacker
can they not apply for a non-contributory visa when in australia as a tourist then stay in australia until it is processed if it take 15 years no prob.
They would not meet the selection criteria at the moment.