Wikiposts

Parent Visa - a tricky question

Old Oct 9th 2013, 12:36 am
Just Joined

dentist is a jewel in the roughdentist is a jewel in the roughdentist is a jewel in the roughdentist is a jewel in the rough
Default Parent Visa - a tricky question

Hello everyone

I haven't posted on this forum since 2009, when my PR was granted. Time flies!!

I am now thinking of applying for a parent visa. My parents are 62/54, both working back at home. I know that the waiting time for a parent visa is of about 15 years. We don't mind that, as there are no immediate plans to move now or even in the remote future.

This would be just to open a door if we decide that migration is the best pathway for them later in life.

I just have a couple of questions to which I could not find an answer for:
1 - Is there a difference if the main applicant is mum or dad?
2 - What if the main applicant or the secondary applicant dies during the waiting period?
3 - Is there any restriction on getting tourist visas during the waiting period (they come here every year)?
4 - After the visa is granted, how soon do they have to move to Australia?

Thank you very much
Old Oct 9th 2013, 4:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Parent Visa - a tricky question

My thoughts:

1) No don't think so.
2) Good question. Pass.
3) No problem, its not related.
4) It will be the same as it was for you. Validate by the date given and then 5 years.
Old Oct 9th 2013, 7:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Cant they come and 'holiday' in Oz for 6 months of the year, every year?
Old Oct 9th 2013, 8:51 am
Just Joined

dentist is a jewel in the roughdentist is a jewel in the roughdentist is a jewel in the roughdentist is a jewel in the rough

Thanks guys.

Anyone would attempt question 2?

The holiday option could work, but we are thinking that they might want to move in the future and I'm sure that they will not want to travel all the way here (or back home) at some point.
Old Oct 9th 2013, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

RURUS is an unknown quantity at this point

If an applicant dies, the VAC is usually refunded, but not if the sponsor dies. There is a new visa good for 5 years that lets parents in the queue visit for 12 months in 18 months.
Old Oct 9th 2013, 12:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RURUS
If an applicant dies, the VAC is usually refunded, but not if the sponsor dies. There is a new visa good for 5 years that lets parents in the queue visit for 12 months in 18 months.
That's interesting, what visa is this and are they allowed to work whilst in Australia?
Old Oct 9th 2013, 3:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jothefw
That's interesting, what visa is this and are they allowed to work whilst in Australia?
No it is a parent tourist visa.
Old Oct 9th 2013, 9:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

DaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jothefw
http://www.immi.gov.au/visas/visitor/600/applicants.htm
Old Oct 10th 2013, 4:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks - always worth knowing and all the options!