Parent visa options

Old Feb 4th 2020, 12:20 pm
Just Joined

R.Scratcher is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Parent visa options

Hi,
I'm the retired (old age retired) parent of a son with PR in Australia. Can anyone tell me what parent visa options, if any, I may have in order to get permanent residency in Australia so that I can be be close to my son and his family.
Old Feb 4th 2020, 9:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

TeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Parent visa options

Hi
There are a number of Parent visa options both temporary and permanent resident visas.
Within the Permanent Residence parent options - very basically and as a generalisation -
  • there are Contributory (high cost, shorter wait) and Non-Contributory parent visa options (lower cost, longer wait generally only practical if applying onshore).
  • these can be applied for offshore or assuming you are over the Australian pension age you may be able to apply onshore
  • you would need to meet a range of criteria including the 'Balance of Family Requirement'

Last edited by christmasoompa; Feb 5th 2020 at 8:13 am. Reason: Link removed - please re-read Site Rule 9, thx.
Old Feb 5th 2020, 8:54 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Just to add, here is the official link about the Balance of Family Requirement - apologies for having to remove the link above. https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visa...of-family-test
Old Feb 5th 2020, 12:50 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by TeeTMI
Hi
There are a number of Parent visa options both temporary and permanent resident visas.
Within the Permanent Residence parent options - very basically and as a generalisation -
  • there are Contributory (high cost, shorter wait) and Non-Contributory parent visa options (lower cost, longer wait generally only practical if applying onshore).
  • these can be applied for offshore or assuming you are over the Australian pension age you may be able to apply onshore
  • you would need to meet a range of criteria including the 'Balance of Family Requirement'
Thanks for the reply TeeTMI. Could you tell me what sort of money we're talking for high cost and low cost? Ball park figures will suffice,
Old Feb 5th 2020, 6:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Just to add, here is the official link about the Balance of Family Requirement - apologies for having to remove the link above. https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visa...of-family-test
Thanks for that christmasoompa. according to the link I would pass the balance of family requirement test.
Old Feb 8th 2020, 9:51 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R.Scratcher
Thanks for that christmasoompa. according to the link I would pass the balance of family requirement test.
Fab. If you click on the link above you can see info on the visas, looks like the figures are $48k or $6k ish, but that's only from a quick look (I know nothing about visas for Oz!). So have a look at the details yourself, or hopefully TeeTMI or one of the other pros will be able to help with the figures.
Old Feb 9th 2020, 9:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

TeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R.Scratcher
Thanks for the reply TeeTMI. Could you tell me what sort of money we're talking for high cost and low cost? Ball park figures will suffice,
Ball park you are looking at around $48k (currently a 4 yr wait) and $6k (Dept of Home Affairs suggesting 35+ year wait). Plus, there is the $10k Assurance of Support.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Feb 13th 2020 at 9:25 am.