Old Feb 1st 2009, 8:35 pm
Just Joined

kmn1094 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Parent visa

Once a visa has been granted how long do you have to take up residency

Regards Keith
Old Feb 1st 2009, 8:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

welshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Parent visa

Originally Posted by kmn1094
Once a visa has been granted how long do you have to take up residency

Regards Keith
Depends - if it is a permanent Skilled visa, you have to make initial entry 12 months from when you did the health or police check - you can then come back and have 5 years from when the visa was granted, to migrate properly. If yo uwere to leave it to near the end, you need to physically be in Australia for period(s) totalling 2 years, in the previous 5 year period, to qualify for a further 5 year Resident Return Visa. So this could mean that you have no permission to re-enter Australia should yo uwish to leave before the 2 years is built up - emergency 3 month resident return visas can be applied for though.

If it is a Provisonal Skills visa, the initial entry requirement is the same as for the permanent visas but the visa has a maximum duration (after an on-shore extension - if needed) of up to 4 years from when the visa is granted. As one of teh requiremenst is that you live in a particular region of Australia for at least 2 years, before you can qualify for the permanent visa, then you must migrate properly no more than 2 years after the provisional visa is granted.

Regards

Tony Coates
MARN 0635896
Old Feb 1st 2009, 8:59 pm
Just Joined

my son is an Australian citizen having lived there for the last 8 years; I was thinking of applying for a contributary parents visa, I am aware of the processing times for this type of visa but wondered that once it was granted how long would I have to take up residency

regards Keith
Old Feb 1st 2009, 9:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

welshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kmn1094
my son is an Australian citizen having lived there for the last 8 years; I was thinking of applying for a contributary parents visa, I am aware of the processing times for this type of visa but wondered that once it was granted how long would I have to take up residency

regards Keith
Yes, there was a clue in the title I missed there - The permanent parent visa works the same as the permanent skilled visa - so the best part of 5 years if you want to stretch it.

Regards

Tony Coates

MARN 0635896
Old Feb 1st 2009, 9:15 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Tony, I'm looking at a long term plan for this one, but thanks for your help

Keith