Parent as dependant on Visa Application

Old Feb 8th 2009, 7:27 am
Forum Regular

Plove will become famous soon enough
Default Parent as dependant on Visa Application

Good Day to all !

My Wife, our 2 sons and I are looking to come to Australia but we have to bring the wife`s mother too.... I know we all have our crosses etc..

From research it looks like the most cost effective way as she has no money is to include her in our application for 175.

She has a son who lives in Australia now, so when we get there all of her children will be in Australia.

My questions are what are the options for her ?
If she has to be classed as dependant has anyone got any experience of how to demonstrate she is dependant
I.E....
Does she have to live with us for a certain time frame befpre applying ?
Any comments or suggestions would be grateful.

She currenlty lives in a flat on her own at present but is very frail and not as independant as she thinks as we visit everyday to assist her with stuff.
She is 69 at the moment, and although she is frail she is in good health for her age.

Kind Regards

Paul
Old Feb 8th 2009, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

sram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nice
Smile Re: Parent as dependant on Visa Application

Originally Posted by Plove
Good Day to all !

My Wife, our 2 sons and I are looking to come to Australia but we have to bring the wife`s mother too.... I know we all have our crosses etc..

From research it looks like the most cost effective way as she has no money is to include her in our application for 175.

She has a son who lives in Australia now, so when we get there all of her children will be in Australia.

If she has to be classed as dependant has anyone got any experience of how to demonstrate she is dependant
I.E....

She currenlty lives in a flat on her own at present but is very frail and not as independant as she thinks as we visit everyday to assist her with stuff.
She is 69 at the moment, and although she is frail she is in good health for her age.

Kind Regards

Paul
Hi Paul,

I suggest you approach an experience migration agent for help. You got good intention.

I'm in a similar situation as you, my mom is my dependent. We each have to make a Statutory Declaration. I'm on 176 Family-Sponsored Application.

Best of luck.
Old Feb 8th 2009, 10:53 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Parent as dependant on Visa Application

Good Day to all !

I.E....

Kind Regards

Paul
It depends on where you are, Paul. If you are in UK it may be difficult to prove dependence, since she probably has a pension. It's not so much physical dependence, but financial that they look at.

As has been suggested, speak to a registered migration agent. It may be more difficult than you would think.
Old Feb 8th 2009, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

OK thanks guys, I dont understand why a pension would be a big deal, everyone gets one when they get to the qualifying age.. ?

Thanks for the advice, I do not necessary want to use an agent as I have heard that you have to still provide the source information, they simply check it over against what the Gov dept are looking for. A bit like the Post Office check and send service for passports.

The Dept of Immi should provide enough information to complete on ones own I would like to think.

Thanks again for the super fats response, Have really found this site so useful. Well done to all that run it !.
Old Feb 8th 2009, 5:11 pm
Forum Regular

ok that should have been Fast repsonse... not to easy typing with my 3 yr old climbing over me...
Old Feb 8th 2009, 5:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

OK thanks guys, I dont understand why a pension would be a big deal, everyone gets one when they get to the qualifying age.. ?

Thanks for the advice, I do not necessary want to use an agent as I have heard that you have to still provide the source information, they simply check it over against what the Gov dept are looking for. A bit like the Post Office check and send service for passports.

The Dept of Immi should provide enough information to complete on ones own I would like to think.
With the greatest respect, I think the comment in the first paragraph illustrates why you should contact a migration agent, good agents provide far more than a check - they have in depth knowledge of the system and requirements and a good agent will be able to advise you on strategy, much more than simply checking the forms.

Everyone IN THE UK gets a state pension - which is why it is hard for any UK individuals to take aged relatives with them. It is far more common for nationals/residents of countries who do not have state pensions to be accepted as dependents, because simply they are dependent on their relatives and may starve without them, something that should never happen in the UK. If you are not around your mother in law the state will - to an extent - step in, so your definition of dependent is not the same as generally accepted for Oz immigration purposes.
Old Feb 8th 2009, 7:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

welshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it is difficult to prove for Brits.

For her to be accepted as your dependent you would need to demonstrate that she is Wholly or Substantially FINANCIALLY dependent on you for a substantial period ( policy is that 3 years is a considered to be a substantial period but this is not written in blood )

Also, financially dependent only considers the costs of her shelter, food and clothing. You also have to evidence that your financial support is greater than any other source of support.

So you cost her rent, food and clothing for the week, work out the government support in terms of pension and any rent rebate - If the government support is less than half of the costs AND if you can then prove that for the last three years or more that you have been paying her an amount that is more than her pension and rebate, then she could be considered financially dependent on you FOR MIGRATION PURPOSES. If she is considered dependent on yo uand fails the medical, the whole family gets their visas refused.

Regards

Tony Coates
MARN 0635896
Old Feb 8th 2009, 8:10 pm
Reg. Migration Agent

George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks again for the super fats response, Have really found this site so useful. Well done to all that run it !.
Hi Plove,

I can only second what Tony has told you. You should also be considering the alternative - a contributory parent visa - which is almost certainly what you'll end up using.

I don't usually credit the architects of the Australian migration system with much common sense, but you'll find that there are many apparently deliberately constructed impediments to avoiding the CPV - ie they seem to be protecting revenue rather than just spending it for a change.

Cheers,

George Lombard
Old Feb 9th 2009, 4:09 am
BE Enthusiast

billymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nice

Originally Posted by George Lombard
Hi Plove,

I can only second what Tony has told you. You should also be considering the alternative - a contributory parent visa - which is almost certainly what you'll end up using.

I don't usually credit the architects of the Australian migration system with much common sense, but you'll find that there are many apparently deliberately constructed impediments to avoiding the CPV - ie they seem to be protecting revenue rather than just spending it for a change.

Cheers,

George Lombard
Why can't she go to australia on a tourist visa then apply for a non contributory parent visa when she is there and stay till it is processed as she has no money.
Old Feb 9th 2009, 4:34 am
Reg. Migration Agent

George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by billymacker
Why can't she go to australia on a tourist visa then apply for a non contributory parent visa when she is there and stay till it is processed as she has no money.
Cost of health insurance and the length of the wait are generally two principal reasons why people end up choosing the shorter option.

Cheers,

George Lombard
Old Feb 9th 2009, 9:07 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the input people, when I looked at this a while ago the option was either put a huge amount of money in the bank for a year and they would welcome her with open arms, or second we apply and get the 175 approved and then when were there she apply as both her children will be there. ?

The third is put her on our application and with some prior planning and creative accounting skills make her financially dependant on us.

The only issue is her age, we could not leave her on her own as I have mentioned she is 69 this year, and I amd sure she would not cope, the state (UK) would not look after her like we do.. Some serious planning required.

Kind Regards

Paul
Old Mar 1st 2009, 4:36 am
Just Joined

tp801 is an unknown quantity at this point

my question is: what happend if the visa officer rejected the dependent person (for whatsoever reason)? Does it automatically mean rejection to all other applicant's visa under the same application OR those person are being evaluated seperately?

Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 1st 2009, 8:16 am
Forum Regular

sram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nice
Post Re: Parent as dependant on Visa Application

Originally Posted by tp801
my question is: what happend if the visa officer rejected the dependent person (for whatsoever reason)? Does it automatically mean rejection to all other applicant's visa under the same application OR those person are being evaluated seperately?

Thanks in advance.
My guess if CO rejected one person (anyone) in the application, the rest also get rejected. Perhaps on some compensate ground, main applicant can put in an appeal.

That's my guess. Hope the rest can further comments.
Old Mar 1st 2009, 8:30 am
BE Enthusiast

mavios has a reputation beyond reputemavios has a reputation beyond reputemavios has a reputation beyond reputemavios has a reputation beyond reputemavios has a reputation beyond reputemavios has a reputation beyond reputemavios has a reputation beyond reputemavios has a reputation beyond reputemavios has a reputation beyond reputemavios has a reputation beyond reputemavios has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sram466
My guess if CO rejected one person (anyone) in the application, the rest also get rejected. Perhaps on some compensate ground, main applicant can put in an appeal.

I think you are right sram, because the CO rejects the application itself not an indivual
Old Mar 1st 2009, 9:06 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sram466

If one person on the application is rejected everyone on the application is rejected. On the 175 there is no right of appeal.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.