Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Ozzi Citizen in PNG wanting to return OZ on UK Passport!

Ozzi Citizen in PNG wanting to return OZ on UK Passport!

Old Feb 23rd 2016, 11:06 pm
Best move in life

interested16 will become famous soon enoughinterested16 will become famous soon enough
Default Ozzi Citizen in PNG wanting to return OZ on UK Passport!

Hi
My situation.......Im in Papua New Guinea working

I have Australian Citizenship but i have not got my Ozzi passport

I departed Oz 4 weeks ago for PNG on my UK passport and immigration made some mention about not having a return visa until i told them i was actually a Oz Citizen so that was fine

I went to leave PNG today and they put my passport details in to 'there system" and said i could not board the flight as i dont have a visa for Australia! (Im not sure what visa they mean?) i explained to them i had Oz citizenship but no Oz passport.

i now have a "copy" of my Citizenship Certificate from when i went to cermony/done the citizenship test in 2012.

My employer has rebooked my flight for tomorrow in the hope they will let me board now that i have a copy of citizenship certificate, has anybody got any advice on this atall as im a bit confused what to do now!
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 11:59 pm
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ozzi Citizen in PNG wanting to return OZ on UK Passport!

As an australian citizen you cannot hold a visa to australia and must travel on australian passport... You may be in luck with the airline tomorrow but they don't have to let you board the flight as its their responsibility to know that you have legal right to enter australia. If in luck, expect delays on australian side as well.
Old Feb 24th 2016, 12:07 am
Best move in life

interested16 will become famous soon enoughinterested16 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by teza
As an australian citizen you cannot hold a visa to australia and must travel on australian passport... You may be in luck with the airline tomorrow but they don't have to let you board the flight as its their responsibility to know that you have legal right to enter australia. If in luck, expect delays on australian side as well.
Im not saying you are wrong but i find that a bit strange though as i travelled in and out of PNG from 2012-2014 every month. I then stopped working here and have only just started again
When you say "have a legal right", will a copy of my Citizenship Certificate not show that i have a legal right?
I have never heard that i must travel on a ozzi passport before as if i did i would have one for sure but i got called to this job at the last minute!
Please dont tell me im stuck here forever!
Old Feb 24th 2016, 12:24 am
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Citi/Curr/Citizenship-through-travel

Once you have become an Australian citizen any visa you held ceases.
As an Australian citizen you must always leave and enter Australia on an Australian passport. If you also have a passport from another country you can use that for travel once you have left Australia.
People trying to enter Australia as an Australian citizen but without an Australian passport face difficulties and delays. The Australian Passport Office provides more information.
Old Feb 24th 2016, 1:13 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by interested16
Im not saying you are wrong but i find that a bit strange though as i travelled in and out of PNG from 2012-2014 every month. I then stopped working here and have only just started again
When you say "have a legal right", will a copy of my Citizenship Certificate not show that i have a legal right?
I have never heard that i must travel on a ozzi passport before as if i did i would have one for sure but i got called to this job at the last minute!
You do need to leave and enter Australia on an Australian passport, if you're an Aussie citizen. I have no idea why you weren't stopped on your previous visits.

You're not stuck there forever, but if the airline won't let you board then you'll need some help, try the Australian High Commission in Port Moresby, Home As well as telephone numbers, you'll also find twitter and facebook details in the link.

You'll also have to sit in the naughty chair when you pass through Oz immigration.

And when that's all over, apply for your passport man!
Old Feb 24th 2016, 2:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
You do need to leave and enter Australia on an Australian passport, if you're an Aussie citizen. I have no idea why you weren't stopped on your previous visits.

You're not stuck there forever, but if the airline won't let you board then you'll need some help, try the Australian High Commission in Port Moresby, Home As well as telephone numbers, you'll also find twitter and facebook details in the link.

You'll also have to sit in the naughty chair when you pass through Oz immigration.

And when that's all over, apply for your passport man
!
'naughty corner'

Good advice.
Old Feb 24th 2016, 2:59 am
BE Enthusiast

slackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond repute

Just checking, are you saying you travelled in and out of Australia from 2012-2014 on a British passport, even though you were an Australian citizen (and therefore any visa should have been cancelled)?
Old Feb 24th 2016, 3:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

She isn't wrong. Australian citizens are required to use Australian passports to enter and depart Australia.

Australian citizens cannot get visas and as everybody needs a visa or Australian passport to enter Australia, in your cause the passport is required.

I am not sure why you find it strange that a country would expect you to carry a passport or visa (which we know you cannot get as a citizen). This is perfectly normal in the world today. Can you imagine the chaos if we all refused to carry the appropriate travel documents?

I am incredulous that you managed to travel to and from Australia for two years without anyone questioning why you did not have the a visa or Australian passport.
Old Feb 24th 2016, 4:06 am
Best move in life

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
She isn't wrong. Australian citizens are required to use Australian passports to enter and depart Australia.

Australian citizens cannot get visas and as everybody needs a visa or Australian passport to enter Australia, in your cause the passport is required.

I am not sure why you find it strange that a country would expect you to carry a passport or visa (which we know you cannot get as a citizen). This is perfectly normal in the world today. Can you imagine the chaos if we all refused to carry the appropriate travel documents?
I am with you on that one, maybe strange is not the word i meant!

I am incredulous that you managed to travel to and from Australia for two years without anyone questioning why you did not have the a visa or Australian passport.
You are! how can it be possible, i never looked into it that much to be honest but every time without doubt when i came back into Oz immigration asked when i got Citizenship, i told them and of i went, i also have just been on the phone to a work mate who was in the exact same position as me and worked here for 2 years with no issues

Last edited by Alfresco; Feb 24th 2016 at 4:12 am. Reason: Fix quote.
Old Feb 24th 2016, 7:11 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

You are! how can it be possible, i never looked into it that much to be honest but every time without doubt when i came back into Oz immigration asked when i got Citizenship, i told them and of i went, i also have just been on the phone to a work mate who was in the exact same position as me and worked here for 2 years with no issues
The airline won't let you board until they are happy you will not be sent back from Australia - that costs them $$$$$ The only way they can be sure Australia will accept you is if you have an Aussie passport or a valid visa.

You will need to contact the High Commission - as above - or the Immigration Department directly, if the airline will not do it for you. Some airlines are willing to make the phone call themselves, others less so!

High Commission details in the post by Spouse of Scouse
Old Feb 25th 2016, 8:05 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't have an Australian passport the airline will need to call the Entry Operations Centre at DIBP and request an 'uplift' for you. The EOC will then confirm that you are good to fly as an Australian citizen and the airline avoids any potential fines. Once back in Australia you should apply for your Australian passport as soon as possible.

The telephone number is +61 1300 368 126. Permission will need to be given at check-in. You cannot do it in advance.
Old Feb 25th 2016, 9:39 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
If you don't have an Australian passport the airline will need to call the Entry Operations Centre at DIBP and request an 'uplift' for you. The EOC will then confirm that you are good to fly as an Australian citizen and the airline avoids any potential fines. Once back in Australia you should apply for your Australian passport as soon as possible.

The telephone number is +61 1300 368 126. Permission will need to be given at check-in. You cannot do it in advance.

That's brilliant info....noted for future posters cos it does come up frequently!
Old Feb 25th 2016, 9:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Are they there 24/7?
Old Feb 25th 2016, 10:24 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rammygirl
Are they there 24/7?
Yes, 24/7 and based in Canberra.
Old Feb 26th 2016, 3:17 am
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Good to know