Over active thyroid immigration problem?

Old Dec 9th 2008, 8:02 pm
Just Joined

frenchiex is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Over active thyroid immigration problem?

Hi to all
I am planning a move to N.S.W in June with my hubby and son but am worried that an over active thyroid is going to be a problem when applying for my visa. Does anyone know anything about this?
many thanks
Frenchie
Old Dec 9th 2008, 8:06 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Over active thyroid immigration problem?

Originally Posted by frenchiex
Hi to all
I am planning a move to N.S.W in June with my hubby and son but am worried that an over active thyroid is going to be a problem when applying for my visa. Does anyone know anything about this?
many thanks
Frenchie
Know lots about it.

Nope, it's not a problem at all. You won't get free treatment like you do in the UK in Aus,.... you pay for your drugs, but they're relatively cheap, unless like some people, you choose to go for the natural stuff, which bumps up the cost a bit.

Just tell your doc at your medicals it's over active but treated... he or she will just add that but it's not a barrier to your entry to Australia.

In my sig line, we run a whole thread on thyroid in the Barbie. Most of us are under-active, some with Hashimoto's, etc.... but there's relevent info on general thyroid health in there that you may find useful. You may have something to add to it too, so please feel free to contribute if you wish.

I hope that helps. Good luck with your application.
Old Dec 9th 2008, 8:10 pm
Just Joined

Wow quick reply! thank you so much,been worrying like crazy about itlol
will take a look at your barbie
thanks again
Frenchie
Old Dec 9th 2008, 8:13 pm

Wow quick reply! thank you so much,been worrying like crazy about itlol
will take a look at your barbie
thanks again
Frenchie
Yes it does worry you doesn't it! It's so common though... as long as you handle your treatment and are aware you'll have to pay for your drugs here, you'll be fine.

Old Dec 9th 2008, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

helenandrob will become famous soon enough

My OH passed his medical no problem. His was over active but had the radioiodine treatment and he is now underactive. He just had to get a letter from his doctor to say that it is under control and his meds were finalised.
Helen x
Old Dec 9th 2008, 9:14 pm
Just Joined

Hmmmmm not sure if it will be a problem after all. Had surgery 15yrs ago(partial thyrodectemy) and was fine until last year when it came back. Was recomended to have the radiation but refused as I had heard so many negative things about it especially the weight gain! Anyway mayby the fact that i didnt have the radiation might be a problem. Arghhhhhh anm worrying again now lol
Old Dec 9th 2008, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

DONOVAN is just really niceDONOVAN is just really niceDONOVAN is just really niceDONOVAN is just really niceDONOVAN is just really niceDONOVAN is just really niceDONOVAN is just really niceDONOVAN is just really nice

Hiya I have under active (wish it was over active !!) and i got through

good luck with everything you will be fine

Sarah x
Old Dec 9th 2008, 9:26 pm

Hmmmmm not sure if it will be a problem after all. Had surgery 15yrs ago(partial thyrodectemy) and was fine until last year when it came back. Was recomended to have the radiation but refused as I had heard so many negative things about it especially the weight gain! Anyway mayby the fact that i didnt have the radiation might be a problem. Arghhhhhh anm worrying again now lol
No, the fact that you chose not to have radiation won't be a problem at all.

Stop worrying.
Old Dec 10th 2008, 7:03 am
Forum Regular

helenandrob will become famous soon enough

Lol - We all worry about everything until we get that magic visa! Please don't worry, an overactive is treated with medication and this is all the medical team want to know that it is under control. The only reason my OH had his treated was so that he could take 1 tablet a day instead of about 9. He did have it very bad. And he hates the weight gain since!!
The medical is to check that you are healthy and wont be a drain on Australias resourses. On over or underactive thyroid don't make you unhealthy.
Helen x
Old Dec 10th 2008, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by helenandrob
Lol - We all worry about everything until we get that magic visa! Please don't worry, an overactive is treated with medication and this is all the medical team want to know that it is under control. The only reason my OH had his treated was so that he could take 1 tablet a day instead of about 9. He did have it very bad. And he hates the weight gain since!!
The medical is to check that you are healthy and wont be a drain on Australias resourses. On over or underactive thyroid don't make you unhealthy.
Helen x
Hey Helen...
Check out the thyroid thread in my link. There's some stuff that might help Rob out, esp the weight gain.

Old Dec 10th 2008, 9:15 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by helenandrob
Helen x
Am down to 1tab a day so am no where near that bad this time round thankfully!
Have to say if everyone in Auz is as freindly and helpful as you guys I cant wait to get there lol
Tracyx