Over 30

Old Oct 24th 2012, 1:02 pm
Just Joined

JUsh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Over 30

Hello all.
I am planning to move to Australia to work but have found out that i'm too old to gain a 'normal' visa. I have been told the only way to gain a work permit would be to find a job were i will be sponsored. Is this correct or are there other ways?
Old Oct 24th 2012, 1:10 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 30

Originally Posted by JUsh
Hello all.
I am planning to move to Australia to work but have found out that i'm too old to gain a 'normal' visa. I have been told the only way to gain a work permit would be to find a job were i will be sponsored. Is this correct or are there other ways?
Hi JUsh

I'm not sure how old you are, but normal skilled visas are open up to the age of 50, but the older you get the harder it is to reach the points needed. You need to have a look at the CSOL list to check you have a skill in demand and the immi site to see what visas are available, and what you points score is likely to be. Skill Select is here

http://www.immi.gov.au/skills/skillselect/

Anyway ,welcome to BE and feel free to ask questions - someone usually comes along with some answers
Old Oct 24th 2012, 1:12 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Hello all.
Hi Jush and welcome to the forum.

I'm no expert in these matters but hopefully someone will be along to answer you better. But, no one can just move to Australia to work, no matter how young. You say, 'move to Australia' do you mean permanently? On your own or with family?

It would help a bit if you outline your plans and intentions a bit better. Perhaps you are referring to the working holiday visa, for which you are too old.

If you haven't looked at the Australian Immigration website yet, it's here.

Good luck in your future.

Alistair.

(I see that someone else has replied, but giving us more detail of what you want to acheive will help)
Old Oct 24th 2012, 11:38 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hello all.
Australia does not issue "work permits" and there is no such thing as a "normal" visa.

You need to give people more details of your skills, qualifications etc and have a thorough read of the DIAC website especially http://www.immi.gov.au/skills/skillselect/
Old Oct 25th 2012, 8:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

man_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to behold

A 457 visa is as close to a work permit as you can get, like it's not as if it's a migration visa or anything.
Old Oct 25th 2012, 11:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

campervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond repute

but a 457 demands a sponsor & an occupation on CSOL, so it's not like you can just apply as if it were just a "work permit" & rock up in Aus looking for a job ,or anything
Old Oct 26th 2012, 1:01 am
BE Enthusiast

man_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by campervanfan
but a 457 demands a sponsor & an occupation on CSOL, so it's not like you can just apply as if it were just a "work permit" & rock up in Aus looking for a job ,or anything
Yeah that's a fantastic feature of the 457
Old Oct 26th 2012, 7:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

campervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by man_called_Horse
Yeah that's a fantastic feature of the 457
I was merely commenting for the benefit of the OP who needs to know what it entails, not for the purposes of a tit for tat with the likes of a man called Horse