Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Our appeal against visa turned down on medical grounds......

Our appeal against visa turned down on medical grounds......

Old Jun 21st 2005, 8:43 pm
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxy

PortJackson is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Our appeal against visa turned down on medical grounds......

Bloody fantastic - well done. And I honestly mean that.
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

owleywoodcat has much to be proud ofowleywoodcat has much to be proud ofowleywoodcat has much to be proud ofowleywoodcat has much to be proud ofowleywoodcat has much to be proud ofowleywoodcat has much to be proud ofowleywoodcat has much to be proud ofowleywoodcat has much to be proud ofowleywoodcat has much to be proud ofowleywoodcat has much to be proud ofowleywoodcat has much to be proud of

Hi all, Just thought I would give you an update since we have been in Townsville 3 months now - I can't believe it!!!!!

We've been having a fantastic time and on the whole things have gone really smoothly - could not have been smoother really!

After all the stress of getting the visa, the move was a breeze!

Our house and car sales went smoothly, John Mason were brilliant with our removals, and our container arrived a month ago with not even a wine glass broken. All our scrubbing of bikes, lawn mowers etc with jeyes fluid and a toothbrush paid off and everything came through customs with no extra charges. We've found a beautiful old Queenslander house to rent, complete with an amazing tropical garden and a (small) solar-heated swimming pool. One problem though was my recent encounter with a huge cockroach! Our rental agent even took us out on a wonderful bushwalking trip.

Townsivlle is much bigger and better than we thought, and has so much to do and we are starting to make some friends here - we've even met up with a few people from British Expats and hope to carry on meeting up.

My work here is much less stressful than my job in the UK and I'm working much shorter hours, and 9 days a fortnight (every other Friday off) so we are getting more time together. I have a longish journey to work but my employer provides pool cars so 4 of us share a car and the drive is through beautiful national park and as I arrive at work we go over the brow of a hill then have a view of the ocean that lifts my spirit every morning. The distance is about the same that I drove in the UK, but takes much less time as there is loads less traffic. My office has a view of wallabies grazing, and so many birds in the trees outside that I've yet to identify them all. Our tea room has ocean views and I can walk to the beach at lunchtime (though it's getting a bit hot now it's spring here). Unfortunately Mike hasn't got a paid job yet despite applying for quite a few, but has been doing some unpaid volunteer marine biology work this week going out to the Great Barrier Reef and islands on a research vessel. He's also volunteered to do some computer tuition. I'm sure a job will come along soon - it seems like in a small town, getting to know people is important, and jobs can often come that way.

We do miss friends and family, but Skype works pretty well and is a cheap way to keep in touch.

So for all of you going through the hassle of getting visas at the moment, especialy if you are struggling with medical issues - do persevere - for us it has definitely been worth it so far!

Cheers,
Cat
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 12:17 pm

Anne4Terry is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by owleywoodcat
Hi all, Just thought I would give you an update since we have been in Townsville 3 months now - I can't believe it!!!!!

We've been having a fantastic time and on the whole things have gone really smoothly - could not have been smoother really!

Our house and car sales went smoothly, John Mason were brilliant with our removals, and our container arrived a month ago with not even a wine glass broken. All our scrubbing of bikes, lawn mowers etc with jeyes fluid and a toothbrush paid off and everything came through customs with no extra charges. We've found a beautiful old Queenslander house to rent, complete with an amazing tropical garden and a (small) solar-heated swimming pool. One problem though was my recent encounter with a huge cockroach! Our rental agent even took us out on a wonderful bushwalking trip.

Townsivlle is much bigger and better than we thought, and has so much to do and we are starting to make some friends here - we've even met up with a few people from British Expats and hope to carry on meeting up.

My work here is much less stressful than my job in the UK and I'm working much shorter hours, and 9 days a fortnight (every other Friday off) so we are getting more time together. I have a longish journey to work but my employer provides pool cars so 4 of us share a car and the drive is through beautiful national park and as I arrive at work we go over the brow of a hill then have a view of the ocean that lifts my spirit every morning. The distance is about the same that I drove in the UK, but takes much less time as there is loads less traffic. My office has a view of wallabies grazing, and so many birds in the trees outside that I've yet to identify them all. Our tea room has ocean views and I can walk to the beach at lunchtime (though it's getting a bit hot now it's spring here). Unfortunately Mike hasn't got a paid job yet despite applying for quite a few, but has been doing some unpaid volunteer marine biology work this week going out to the Great Barrier Reef and islands on a research vessel. He's also volunteered to do some computer tuition. I'm sure a job will come along soon - it seems like in a small town, getting to know people is important, and jobs can often come that way.

We do miss friends and family, but Skype works pretty well and is a cheap way to keep in touch.

So for all of you going through the hassle of getting visas at the moment, especialy if you are struggling with medical issues - do persevere - for us it has definitely been worth it so far!

Cheers,
Cat
What a fantastic post. Great to read that things are turning out well for you. Long may it continue. Good luck with life
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 12:45 pm
Forum Regular

Silky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of light
Wink Re: Our appeal against visa turned down on medical grounds......

Congratulations! That's fantastic news, well done to you both!

Sara
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 12:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

lacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond repute

Well done Cat,
i hope all your dreams come true in Australia for you
hugs Lace n family xx
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 1:58 pm
cheeky tart

The A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers,
Cat
Oh wow...... what a great post!!!!

Hope Mike gets a job soon!
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 2:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Previously County Durham. ENGLAND. Now in Mornington, Victoria. (via Brisbane)
paulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud of

.........was successful!!!!!!!!

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=303165

Many thanks JAJ, George Lombard and Pete Bollard (by email) for advice, and others for support. I said I would let you know how we got on.

We posted a while ago (see above link) for advice when our 457 visa was turned down on medical grounds. It was estimated by DIMIA that my partner's condition (bipolar disorder) would cost $40,000 over 3 years.

We had 28 days to appeal against the decision, but we didn't have to go to the full migration review tribunal.

We got further medical reports and estimates of costs. My employer appointed (and paid for) a migration agent for us to help us appeal. Our agent and my employer have been fantastic and extremely supportive, as we got very down at times.

The waiting was agonising, and we were told that it could take weeks if not months for the appeal process. DIMIA would not say how long, and we were preparing for the worst.

Well, once we submitted the documents for our appeal we got a reversal of the decision in 24 hours!!!!! We couldn't believe it. So we've had three weeks from the grant of the visa to prepare to leave.

Luckily our house buyer has been amazingly patient, our sale went through fine, and we fly out to Townsville on Thursday.

Been getting a taste of the heat and humidity today!!! Must make sure we get a place with air conditioning!

Cheers,
Cat

Congratulations and good luck
Old Oct 4th 2005, 2:04 pm
Forum Regular

sakfab_91 will become famous soon enoughsakfab_91 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by paulb
Congratulations and good luck
oh no, please help!!

I've been reading this thread feeling sicker and sicker. I have just applied for a spouse visa for Oz and have been diagnosed with an anxiety disorder. I've been on low dose meds for years, and had to submit a letter from my psychiatrist to this effect. Have I just completely ruined my chances of being granted a visa? I didn't want to lie on the application but I KNEW there was still a stigma.
Old Oct 4th 2005, 2:14 pm
In my own little world!

Nicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers,
Cat
Fantastic to hear that everything is going so well for you and that you are enjoying it so much! Good for you, and long may it continue.

Nicky
Old Oct 4th 2005, 2:27 pm
Life is good

claire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to all

It's so good to hear sucess stories of people like you!

All the best and congratulations to you.
Old Oct 4th 2005, 3:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Previously County Durham. ENGLAND. Now in Mornington, Victoria. (via Brisbane)
paulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sakfab_91
oh no, please help!!

I've been reading this thread feeling sicker and sicker. I have just applied for a spouse visa for Oz and have been diagnosed with an anxiety disorder. I've been on low dose meds for years, and had to submit a letter from my psychiatrist to this effect. Have I just completely ruined my chances of being granted a visa? I didn't want to lie on the application but I KNEW there was still a stigma.

Please dont worry, you'll be fine. Your problems are not contagious or costly, which are the reasons why visas are refused.

By the way, what treatment are you having? I work in psychiatry.

PM me if you wish.

Paul