Options for my 83 year old father !!

Old Feb 16th 2024, 10:39 am
Just Joined

Suzysnoozy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Options for my 83 year old father !!

Hi all,

Any help appreciated as I’m going round in circles!

Me and my family are all UK born but with NZ passports following a period living there. We have been wanting to move to Australia for a number of years but have resisted doing so due to the ill health of my mother. With her passing we are now seriously revisiting this but looking for options for my 83 year old father to join us. He is in good health and has no financial constraints.

With the changes to NZ 444 visas we could gain citizenship within 4 years of entry - what visas would be available to him at that point with our help? 143/7, 885/864 - no clue which of those are the best.

In the interim - I guess the main option is a tourist visa for up to 12 months and for him to come and go. Are there any other bridging visa or other options available to allow him to stay in the country whilst we wait for our 4 years to elapse?

Just a thought and a bit left field - could he get a student visa and do a degree? He would certainly be a mature student 😂but he would probably quite enjoy that as it would give him something to do in his latter years. He already has a 1st class degree but I can see him doing economics or something. The fees wouldn’t be an issue for him - anybody ever heard of this being a residency route for retirees?

Any thoughts much appreciated.
Old Feb 17th 2024, 12:35 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Options for my 83 year old father !!

Originally Posted by Suzysnoozy
Hi all,

Any help appreciated as I’m going round in circles!

Me and my family are all UK born but with NZ passports following a period living there. We have been wanting to move to Australia for a number of years but have resisted doing so due to the ill health of my mother. With her passing we are now seriously revisiting this but looking for options for my 83 year old father to join us. He is in good health and has no financial constraints.

With the changes to NZ 444 visas we could gain citizenship within 4 years of entry - what visas would be available to him at that point with our help? 143/7, 885/864 - no clue which of those are the best.

In the interim - I guess the main option is a tourist visa for up to 12 months and for him to come and go. Are there any other bridging visa or other options available to allow him to stay in the country whilst we wait for our 4 years to elapse?

Just a thought and a bit left field - could he get a student visa and do a degree? He would certainly be a mature student 😂but he would probably quite enjoy that as it would give him something to do in his latter years. He already has a 1st class degree but I can see him doing economics or something. The fees wouldn’t be an issue for him - anybody ever heard of this being a residency route for retirees?

Any thoughts much appreciated.
I would seriously suggest a consultation with a MARA registered agent. There are a lot of permutations (which I won't go into as I am far from expert on parent visas of any kind and don't want to give you duff info!) and with the fact that you aren't yet "settled" in Aus drawing things out longer it would be good to review everything available