Options, advice appreciated

Old Jan 8th 2014, 1:14 pm
Just Joined

Tronik is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Options, advice appreciated

Me and my partner have been considering moving away from the UK for a while now. Australia and New Zealand were the countries we considered but due to job availability I think Australia is going to be our choice.

I am 25 and a qualified mortgage adviser, been in my profession with the same employer for 7 years. My partner is currently doing a masters degree in English, then a PGCE in order to be a qualified secondary school teacher.

The way I see it we have two options when deciding on Visa's. We can apply for a working holiday visa and come out in September 2015 (when my partner will have done her PGCE) and aim to extend/apply for further visa's from there.

The second option I see is waiting a couple more years in the UK, allowing my partner to gain a couple of years experience in secondary teaching and then applying for a skilled migrant visa.

I'm looking for some advice from people who may have been in this position or have some knowledge and can give me a bit of guidance. Any advice/help will be greatly appreciated and yes this is the very early stages of a massive decision but you have to start somewhere, right.

Thank.

Elliott & Partner
Old Jan 8th 2014, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

betterskierthanthewife will become famous soon enoughbetterskierthanthewife will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Options, advice appreciated

Will your partner need to complete her QTS year to be able to teach in Aus?
Old Jan 8th 2014, 3:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by betterskierthanthewife
Will your partner need to complete her QTS year to be able to teach in Aus?
Betterskierthanthewife, I believe she will have to have her QTS before being able to teach in Aus but this is gained when you have done the PGCE. She says. Its all gobbledegook to me.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 5:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I think if you are serious about careers you would be better off waiting. You are going to struggle to get anything in your line on a WHV and would do much better with a permanent visa behind you. And teaching is notoriously competitive in Australia, your partner would be able to compete better with some experience - possibly that would be needed for skills assessment anyway.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 7:16 am
Forum Regular

betterskierthanthewife will become famous soon enoughbetterskierthanthewife will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Tronik
Betterskierthanthewife, I believe she will have to have her QTS before being able to teach in Aus but this is gained when you have done the PGCE. She says. Its all gobbledegook to me.
You need to double-check this. When my wife did a PGCE (about 10 years ago) she then had to do a year of work after getting the PGCE to get QTS. May have changed now.
Old Jan 13th 2014, 10:53 am
Just Joined

Bermudashorts thanks for your reply. A great deal of thought will be going into our final decision and your advice is appreciated.

Betterskierthanthewife I shall make sure we have our assumptions correct. Thanks.