Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Onshore Skilled Independent overseas student

Onshore Skilled Independent overseas student

Old Dec 10th 2004, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

Mary_kommareddy is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Onshore Skilled Independent overseas student

Hello..
I am Mary from India, i have completed my masters in IT (2 yrs full time study) in dec 2004. I am looking forward to apply for PR.I am still waiting to get my official academic records to apply for ACS. My student visa is due to expire on March 15th, 2005. A new rule has been released on dec 3rd regarding the Graduate skilled temporary visa. wht's the point in applying for GST when it does not give extra time to lodge the application ? According to the new rule i have to apply for PR before april 1st irrespective of GST.will I be unlawfull if i chose not to apply for GST? I would really appreciate a sound reply.

Thanks..
Mary Kommareddy
Old Dec 10th 2004, 7:05 pm

stevereed is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Onshore Skilled Independent overseas student

Originally Posted by Mary_kommareddy
Hello..
I am Mary from India, i have completed my masters in IT (2 yrs full time study) in dec 2004. I am looking forward to apply for PR.I am still waiting to get my official academic records to apply for ACS. My student visa is due to expire on March 15th, 2005. A new rule has been released on dec 3rd regarding the Graduate skilled temporary visa. wht's the point in applying for GST when it does not give extra time to lodge the application ? According to the new rule i have to apply for PR before april 1st irrespective of GST.will I be unlawfull if i chose not to apply for GST? I would really appreciate a sound reply.

Thanks..
Mary Kommareddy
Can't promise a 'sound' reply, you may have to pay an agent for that.

You have 6 months to apply for PR from the date your result was published or communicated to you (not necessarily the same as when you get your certificates etc)

If you don't get a temp visa to cover you for when your student visa runs out, and you PR application is in progress you'll have to go home.

Seems straightforward....or have I missed the point :-)
Old Dec 10th 2004, 9:34 pm
Reg. Migration Agent

George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevereed
Can't promise a 'sound' reply, you may have to pay an agent for that.

You have 6 months to apply for PR from the date your result was published or communicated to you (not necessarily the same as when you get your certificates etc)

If you don't get a temp visa to cover you for when your student visa runs out, and you PR application is in progress you'll have to go home.

Seems straightforward....or have I missed the point :-)
Hi Steve,

Love that picture of you. Certainly got your best profile :-)

Mary's problem is that may not understand that on lodging the permanent onshore student application she gets a bridging visa which kicks in when the student visa expires; and having her permanent application lodged before 1 April will be enough, or so we understand, to guarantee that she can be assessed at 115 points rather than 120. I would assume that lodging an ACS application in the next couple of weeks will give her enough time to lodge her permanent application before 15 March.

Mary's right that there's not much point in the Graduate Skilled Temporary visa if she can get her medical, police clearance and skills assessments done before 15 March (although why you would invite confusion with our VAT by calling the visa "GST" is beyond me :-)

Cheers,

George Lombard

www.austimmigration.com.au
Old Dec 10th 2004, 10:04 pm
Reg. Migration Agent

George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute

... and further to earlier message, there's no new rule on 3 December, they just confirmed what we already knew on that date. See http://www.immi.gov.au/migration/ski...k-increase.htm .

Cheers,

George Lombard

Old Dec 10th 2004, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by George Lombard
Hi Steve,

Mary's problem is that may not understand that on lodging the permanent onshore student application she gets a bridging visa which kicks in when the student visa expires; and having her permanent application lodged before 1 April will be enough, or so we understand, to guarantee that she can be assessed at 115 points rather than 120. I would assume that lodging an ACS application in the next couple of weeks will give her enough time to lodge her permanent application before 15 March.

Mary's right that there's not much point in the Graduate Skilled Temporary visa if she can get her medical, police clearance and skills assessments done before 15 March (although why you would invite confusion with our VAT by calling the visa "GST" is beyond me :-)

Cheers,

George Lombard

Cheers George

I'd better get myself clued up on this area, as it will hopefully apply to me in the future.

Well, you can't know it all...............or can you???
Old Dec 11th 2004, 12:34 pm
Forum Regular

Mary_kommareddy is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Onshore Skilled Independent overseas student

Hi Steve,

Cheers,

George Lombard

Hello..
Thanks for the reply, i got my police clearance(both india & aust),medicals are in process.I am waiting to apply for skill assessment. How long does ACS assessment procedure take ? If i lodge my application before march 15th, do i still have to apply for GST to ensure that i dont become unlawful? GST does not give any extra time to apply for PR. My Overseas health cover is due to expire on feb 17th.Do i have to apply for any private insurance ?I am still confused please let me know.
thanks..
Mary
Old Dec 11th 2004, 9:38 pm

Hi Steve,

Sorry George, that isn't actually me.......it's a mixture of Gollum from Lord of the Rings and would you believe it, George Dubya Bush. I do however believe that Gollum has more scrupples than Mr. President