British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Onshore de facto visa - granted! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/onshore-de-facto-visa-granted-535993/)

FayWray May 12th 2008 1:04 pm

Onshore de facto visa - granted!

]I just wanted to shout that I GOT MY VISA! My onhore de facto visa was granted on 1 May... and having the words 'provisional resident' safely in my passport makes me very happy!

I applied on 21 January to the Melbourne office so it took just over 3 months - and we weren't asked to come in for an interview. I think that the fact I didn't have my medical until 3 April actually slowed my application down because DIAC had to request I do them... 3 days after DIAC received my medicals, the visa was granted.

So, do your medicals early!

I've been in Aus for nearly 18 months plotting to be able to stay with my boyfriend - 6 months on a holiday visa, 8 months on a study visa and 3 months on a bridging visa... so I am very very relieved.

Thanks to everyone for their help :)

Fay

wannabees May 12th 2008 6:15 pm

Re: Onshore de facto visa - granted!

Originally Posted by FayWray (Post 6339819)
]I just wanted to shout that I GOT MY VISA! My onhore de facto visa was granted on 1 May... and having the words 'provisional resident' safely in my passport makes me very happy!

I applied on 21 January to the Melbourne office so it took just over 3 months - and we weren't asked to come in for an interview. I think that the fact I didn't have my medical until 3 April actually slowed my application down because DIAC had to request I do them... 3 days after DIAC received my medicals, the visa was granted.

I've been in Aus for nearly 18 months plotting to be able to stay with my boyfriend - 6 months on a holiday visa, 8 months on a study visa and 3 months on a bridging visa... so I am very very relieved.

Fay

congratulations on getting your visa and good luck!!

rubbeldiekatz May 14th 2008 12:55 am

Originally Posted by FayWray (Post 6339819)

Fay

I know the feeling....congratulations !!!

heg3 May 14th 2008 1:28 am

Congrats from me too!
I know how I felt when the letter came - I was in a daze and wanted to show it to everyone.. that was 15 months ago..

*BUT* there's a big difference remember between provisional and permanent so you're not out of the woods quite yet!