Offer with 457 - is it worth it?

Old Apr 5th 2012, 10:41 am
Just Joined

clareil is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Offer with 457 - is it worth it?

hi all,

I have family in Perth and have been putting wheels in motion for the past few months for a move out there. I have been offered an employer sponsored position with a 457 visa but i am concened that this may restrict me in the future - am i better to apply for a skilled migration visa on my own and take up the job offer seperatly? Obviously the cost is significant to me but i don't want to be stuck/deported down the line because i am restricted!
Old Apr 5th 2012, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

BudBrain has a spectacular aura aboutBudBrain has a spectacular aura aboutBudBrain has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Offer with 457 - is it worth it?

Can you not apply for residency once you're out there? Surely if you have Australia work experience it'll be in your favour too?
Old Apr 5th 2012, 6:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clareil
hi all,

I have family in Perth and have been putting wheels in motion for the past few months for a move out there. I have been offered an employer sponsored position with a 457 visa but i am concened that this may restrict me in the future - am i better to apply for a skilled migration visa on my own and take up the job offer seperatly? Obviously the cost is significant to me but i don't want to be stuck/deported down the line because i am restricted!
Yes the 457 visa will restrict you, if you dont want that then apply for the skilled migrant visa. You could still the 457 in the meantime. I assume you know you qualify for skiled migrant visa.
Old Apr 9th 2012, 8:25 pm
Just Joined

lloyd31 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I'm looking at a 457 in Perth,Will i be able to apply for citizenship after 2 years with the same employer? Are the restrictions that you have to stay with the employer while you are on a 457 working visa? I have read up on it but it always seems to confuse me

Regards
Old Apr 9th 2012, 8:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lloyd31
Hi,

I'm looking at a 457 in Perth,Will i be able to apply for citizenship after 2 years with the same employer? Are the restrictions that you have to stay with the employer while you are on a 457 working visa? I have read up on it but it always seems to confuse me

Regards
Just above I have confirmed that the 457 ties ypu to the employer

No you cannot apply for citizenship after two years, even people on permanent visas would not be able to apply for citizenship after two years. It takes four years and at least one as permanent resident.
Old Apr 9th 2012, 8:48 pm
Just Joined

Hi

I thought they were changing the rules in july this year so you could apply after 2 years on a 457? If me and the mrs go on 457's then we cant apply for citizenship at all?

Kind regards
Old Apr 9th 2012, 9:10 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I thought they were changing the rules in july this year so you could apply after 2 years on a 457? If me and the mrs go on 457's then we cant apply for citizenship at all?

Kind regards
As BS says, you need to be a permanent resident for 12 months, and have 4 years residence in total before you can apply for citizenship. You need to work out how to become permanent residents before you start thinking about citizenship
Old Apr 9th 2012, 9:13 pm
Just Joined

Hi,

My Mistake! I think i meant that i've read you can apply to be a permanent resident after 2 year's on a 457 when the rule's change in July this year,And then look to becoming a citizen

Regards
Old Apr 9th 2012, 9:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hi,

My Mistake! I think i meant that i've read you can apply to be a permanent resident after 2 year's on a 457 when the rule's change in July this year,And then look to becoming a citizen

Regards
You can apply for a permanent visa at any time and if you qualify for it you will get it. Many people get pr visas straight away, two years doesn't come into the equation.

If you spend two years on a 457 visa you can skip skills assessment for the permanent employer sponsored visa, that is the only relevance of two years that I can think of and I believe it will be the same in july, although employer sponsored will be "more streamlined" or something.
Old Apr 10th 2012, 6:54 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

A huge amount of people move here on 457 and then go perm resident and a lot of people are very glad of it. It does mean a bit tied to the employer, though it is now a simple process for a new employer to take over a existing visa and from what I understand the new rules in July will offer a more streamlined way of going from 457 to pr though hopefully someone like George will post on how this will work.

There are risks, but there are loads of risks will moving to another country including the fact that a very large proportion of people spend thousands of dollars, a huge amount of time and find they want to move back. For me, a 457 can be a great way to come over
Old Apr 10th 2012, 5:25 pm
Just Joined

From WIKI

457 visa update for 2012

The Australian Government has reviewed the 457 skilled immigrant visa and has made some provisions that will fast track the transition to permanent residency starting on July 1, 2012. Starting in July 1, 2012, non-resident workers on the 457 skilled immigration visa will be able to transition to permanent residency if they have 2 years with the employer who has sponsored them and if the employer provides a full-time position in the 457 visa holder's nominated occupation.

Furthermore, the Australian Government has recognized that 457 visas deserve priority in review as they are highly responsive to the needs of the labour market

Also what are the requirements for english etc,Are they the same as when you apply for a 175?

Kind regards Lloyd
Old Apr 11th 2012, 3:49 am

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute

From WIKI

457 visa update for 2012

The Australian Government has reviewed the 457 skilled immigrant visa and has made some provisions that will fast track the transition to permanent residency starting on July 1, 2012. Starting in July 1, 2012, non-resident workers on the 457 skilled immigration visa will be able to transition to permanent residency if they have 2 years with the employer who has sponsored them and if the employer provides a full-time position in the 457 visa holder's nominated occupation.

Furthermore, the Australian Government has recognized that 457 visas deserve priority in review as they are highly responsive to the needs of the labour market

Also what are the requirements for english etc,Are they the same as when you apply for a 175?

Kind regards Lloyd
looks like a new name for the same old thing. as far as priority, AFAIK the on-shore ENS visas were pretty quick as they are. Excellent example of management consulting it is.