occupational therapist with only 55 points

Old Feb 23rd 2015, 7:54 pm
Just Joined

velutch is an unknown quantity at this point
Default occupational therapist with only 55 points

my sister is 29 with only 2 years work experience
she has done the oz ot registration and did the academic ielts but got 7s and 8s so only 10 points there, 15 for degree and 30 for age.

she did the toefl to see if it was any easier but still not enough, she is going to try the ielts again the general one this time.

so is her only options keep trying test to get the extra 10 points to 65 for 189
or state nomination at 60 points for 190

she is going over to perth next month on a working holiday visa but it might limit her employment options. it also seems like w.a state wants 3 years experience for nomination but other states 2 years. if she gets more work experience in oz it only gives her an extra 5 points.
Old Feb 23rd 2015, 8:53 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: occupational therapist with only 55 points

Originally Posted by velutch
my sister is 29 with only 2 years work experience
she has done the oz ot registration and did the academic ielts but got 7s and 8s so only 10 points there, 15 for degree and 30 for age.

she did the toefl to see if it was any easier but still not enough, she is going to try the ielts again the general one this time.

so is her only options keep trying test to get the extra 10 points to 65 for 189
or state nomination at 60 points for 190

she is going over to perth next month on a working holiday visa but it might limit her employment options. it also seems like w.a state wants 3 years experience for nomination but other states 2 years. if she gets more work experience in oz it only gives her an extra 5 points.
With 55 points now, she could go for state sponsorship now which would be enough for a visa invite if successful. You only need 60 points for visa invite (55 plus 5 from sponsorship) but I haven't looked to see what states would sponsor her.
Old Feb 23rd 2015, 9:09 pm
Just Joined

yes she will be traveling around but doesnt really want to commit to one state that might not have any jobs, is the general ielts any easier than academic?
Old Feb 23rd 2015, 9:24 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

yes she will be traveling around but doesnt really want to commit to one state that might not have any jobs, is the general ielts any easier than academic?
For state sponsorship you commit to a state for 2 years, but if you really couldn't find work, they would likely release you from that obligation if you had an offer of work elsewhere. The states offering sponsorship should be the ones having difficulty filling vacancies but the lists don't always keep up.

I couldn't comment on IELTS - I did the academic test as it was quicker to get a place on (both times - had to repeat due to 7.5 on listening the first time (straight after a night shift)). What were your sister's scores on her previous IELTS?
Old Feb 23rd 2015, 9:50 pm
Just Joined

i dont know exactly i think it was the writing that was the lowest, it did say superior english on her results but when she put it in the eoi form it said it was proficient as it took the lowest score i think.

i think she did that pte academic aswell not toefl.

2 years is not to bad so you can change from one state to another if there were nothing.
yes i suppose the lists might not accurately reflect actual vacancies.
like n.t you only need 1 year experience so it seems like there is a real shortage there
but job adverts seem to show perth.
Old Feb 23rd 2015, 10:06 pm

i dont know exactly i think it was the writing that was the lowest, it did say superior english on her results but when she put it in the eoi form it said it was proficient as it took the lowest score i think.

i think she did that pte academic aswell not toefl.

2 years is not to bad so you can change from one state to another if there were nothing.
yes i suppose the lists might not accurately reflect actual vacancies.
like n.t you only need 1 year experience so it seems like there is a real shortage there
but job adverts seem to show perth.
If she can get PR now, even if it's with state sponsorship, it may be better than waiting until later because no-one knows what will happen in the future.
Old Feb 23rd 2015, 10:44 pm
Just Joined

yes they could take them off the list
thanks will let her know and hopefully it works out