NZ migration but with Oz PR visa

Old Aug 27th 2004, 5:01 am
Just Joined

Mary L is a jewel in the roughMary L is a jewel in the roughMary L is a jewel in the roughMary L is a jewel in the rough
Default NZ migration but with Oz PR visa

Dear all,

I got my PR in July, not validated yet. My husband got the PR 2 yrs ago and has already validated it. We plan to move to Oz in end of the year. But we want to try NZ for any job opportunities first. I would like to know

1. What are our status when we enter NZ?
2. Will we be granted "Residence Permit" at airport immigration when we enter NZ with Oz PR visa only (not Oz RRV)?
3. If we can find a job there and want to live in NZ (leading to citizenship), do we need to go through the whole process of applying the NZ PR under the Skilled Migration Category of NZ first? If no, how to get the NZ citizenship?

I'd like to hear your comments/advice. Thanks in advance.

best regards,
Mary.
Old Aug 27th 2004, 11:19 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NZ migration but with Oz PR visa

Originally Posted by Mary L
Dear all,

I got my PR in July, not validated yet. My husband got the PR 2 yrs ago and has already validated it. We plan to move to Oz in end of the year. But we want to try NZ for any job opportunities first. I would like to know

1. What are our status when we enter NZ?
2. Will we be granted "Residence Permit" at airport immigration when we enter NZ with Oz PR visa only (not Oz RRV)?
3. If we can find a job there and want to live in NZ (leading to citizenship), do we need to go through the whole process of applying the NZ PR under the Skilled Migration Category of NZ first? If no, how to get the NZ citizenship?

I'd like to hear your comments/advice. Thanks in advance.

best regards,
Mary.
A repeat of an earlier post:

Australian PRs can in principle live and work in NZ. However:

1. You need to validate your Australian PR visa first.

2. The NZIS website is *not* clear about whether a migrant visa with a 5 year re-entry facility is counted as an Australian 'returning resident visa' which NZ does expect Australian PRs to have.

3. Time spent in NZ may eventually count towards an NZ RRV or citizenship, or it may not. The NZ websites are not completely clear in this respect. However it does *not* count for an Australian RRV or citizenship. People have been left without status in both countries through not paying careful attention to the rules.

4. If you lose your Australian PR, then NZ PR gives you *no* rights to return to Australia. New Zealand citizenship will let you live in Australia, but no longer with PR rights. See http://www.nz-oz.gov.au

5. The New Zealand government is planning to increase the residence period for NZ citizenship from three years to five by 1 January 2005. The equivalent period for Australian citizenship remains at two years. So if you'd like a blue passport asap, you'll have to wait a lot longer in NZ.

6. It's entirely possible that the NZ government could abolish the rights of Australian PRs in NZ, and also do away with the NZ 'indefinite RRV'.

7. Some people prefer to get Australian citizenship first, and then think about whether they would like to live in NZ. In order to get Australian citizenship, you need to meet the residence rules and plan to stay living in Australia - however, it's ok if you change your mind after being sworn in as a citizen.

8. Australian citizens living in NZ are free under current laws to become NZ citizens upon meeting the normal residence requirements. Since April 2002, they do not lose Australian citizenship as a result. The NZ government could always restrict the residence rights of Australians in NZ, or their access to PR/citizenship rights, but there is no sign of this currently.

Jeremy
Old Aug 27th 2004, 2:58 pm

Richard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with most of what you say Jeremy - but can catergorically state that if an Australian Permanent Resident turns up at at an NZ port of entry they are immediately granted permanent residence of New Zealand.
Old Aug 27th 2004, 7:58 pm
Lance

Is this really true Richard? Where can I find more information on this?

> I agree with most of what you say Jeremy - but can catergorically state
    > that if an Australian Permanent Resident turns up at at an NZ port of
    > entry they are immediately granted permanent residence of New Zealand.

Old Aug 28th 2004, 10:13 am

Richard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it is true -

try http://www.immigration.govt.nz

Or if you PM me I will send you contact details of people who have done it.

This has been the case for the past 11 years that I know of from personal experience.