NZ Citizenship for 6-yrs old

Old Jun 22nd 2006, 11:07 am
BE Enthusiast

didik will become famous soon enough
Default NZ Citizenship for 6-yrs old

I have a 6-yrs old daughter, and plan to apply for her NZ Citizenship before the whole family move to Canada.

**Mother will get her NZ citizenship in the end of June 2006. Father is not a NZ citizen.
**Mother has been living in New Zealand for almost 4 years, but will go to live in Canada in September 2006. Husband has been living in Australia for 5 years, and will go to Canada too.
**The child has been living in New Zealand for almost a year by now. She will go to Canada with her parents sometime in September 2006.

A) I want to know if she is eligible for citizenship if she apply now (or July).
B) Will her long absence out from New Zealand during the application process affect the citizenship application? The application process at the moment takes about 8 months.

Cheers,
ddk

Last edited by didik; Jun 22nd 2006 at 11:11 am.
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 2:56 pm
texan....usenet

Default Re: NZ Citizenship for 6-yrs old

On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 11:07:48 +0000, didik
<member25797@british_expats.com> wrote:

>I have a 6-yrs old daughter, and plan to apply for her NZ Citizenship
    >before the whole family move to Canada.
    >**Mother will get her NZ citizenship in the end of June 2006. Father is
    >not a NZ citizen.
    >**Mother has been living in New Zealand for almost 4 years, but will go
    >to live in Canada in September 2006. Husband has been living in
    >Australia for 5 years, and will go to Canada too.
    >**The child has been living in New Zealand for almost a year by now. She
    >will go to Canada with her parents sometime in September 2006.
    >A) I want to know if she is eligible for citizenship if she apply now
    >(or July).
    >B) Will her long absence out from New Zealand during the application
    > process affect the citizenship application? The application process
    > at the moment takes about 8 months.
    >Cheers,
    >ddk

No. Not eligble for NZ citizenship period.

Cath

Old Jun 22nd 2006, 11:30 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by texan....usenet

No. Not eligble for NZ citizenship period.

Cath

Why not? As she is under 16 the 5 year residence period may not apply to her, why can't she get NZ citizenship at the same time as her mother.

Assuming an application has been filed.
Old Jun 23rd 2006, 1:07 am
BE Enthusiast

didik will become famous soon enough

Thanks Jeremy,

I have been following your posts, and know that you always encourage people to take citizenship when they can. Could you please comment a little bit more.

My daughter has not applied for the citizenship, because we thought she was not eligible. If she apply now, she will be living in overseas when the time of appraisal (8 months time). Then she will be considered "non resident" because her parent is no longer NZ resident (they will be living in Canada).

I just found related article in DIA website. Could you see whether its affirms or contradict my interpretation. It says:

OLD RULE (PR before 21 April 2005) (*i think this applicable to my daughter)
If you are under 21, in the years up to your 18th birthday, you may be considered to have been ordinarily resident both where you are living and wherever your parent(s) had their permanent home base. For the period after your 18th birthday, the ordinary residence requirements listed above apply (i.e. where you have lived).

NEW RULE (PR on or after 21 April 2005)
Other Requirements for Applicants Aged Under 16
If you are under 16 during the processing of your New Zealand citizenship application and your parent(s) are New Zealand citizens or have applied and are able to fulfil the requirements for a grant of New Zealand citizenship, you may not have to meet the ordinary residence requirement.

Here is the link:
http://www.dia.govt.nz/diawebsite.ns...p?OpenDocument

Originally Posted by JAJ
Why not? As she is under 16 the 5 year residence period may not apply to her, why can't she get NZ citizenship at the same time as her mother.

Assuming an application has been filed.
Old Jun 23rd 2006, 11:20 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by didik
Thanks Jeremy,

I have been following your posts, and know that you always encourage people to take citizenship when they can. Could you please comment a little bit more.

My daughter has not applied for the citizenship, because we thought she was not eligible. If she apply now, she will be living in overseas when the time of appraisal (8 months time). Then she will be considered "non resident" because her parent is no longer NZ resident (they will be living in Canada).

I can't help any further, I'm afraid. It may well be that the child needs to be living in New Zealand until citizenship is granted. You need to hire a New Zealand immigration lawyer (and one who understands the citizenship law) to discuss this further.

Why the rush to move to Canada in September?

If she must leave without citizenship, have you made sure she has got an indefinite returning resident visa?