NZ anyone turned down?

Old Mar 12th 2003, 11:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute
Default NZ anyone turned down?

Firstly we think this site is wonderfull !!!
We have read lots of evidence of people gaining entry in to NZ and of the frustration with the delays and hold ups.
However, we have never read anything about people being turned down. How often does this happen?
And if it does happen, is it because of medicals, police checks, or lack of points etc.

If anyone has been turned down, e,g, for medicals have they gone through an appeal process?

We have sold our house and are expecting a job offer soon {nurse} so everything is on the line for us getting entry.

Thanks Gill and Rob
Old Mar 13th 2003, 1:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Roger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the rough
Default NZ Turning Down

Never heard of anyone being turned down where they fulfill criteria. I believe you are after PR through nursing - you should be okay and quick as we are down the same route.

Been in NZ recently and visited hospitals in Christchurch/Nelson and got provisional job offers. Where are you looking. It is much easier to get work in Auckland with assistance with airfares etc, but they are more deperate there.

Getting NZ Nurse Registration is taking ages though.
Old Mar 13th 2003, 2:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

NZ registration took from first week of dec 02 to 10th feb, when I got my certificate, although I had an email late jan to say I had fullfilled the criteria.
Difficult problem was finding out where to get School of nursing trascripts, as the hospital I trained at has almost closed down and hasn't trained a nurse in years.

Good luck anyway.

Gill
Old Mar 13th 2003, 6:28 am
BE Enthusiast

jajpe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Gill and Rob
NZ registration took from first week of dec 02 to 10th feb, when I got my certificate, although I had an email late jan to say I had fullfilled the criteria.
Difficult problem was finding out where to get School of nursing trascripts, as the hospital I trained at has almost closed down and hasn't trained a nurse in years.

Good luck anyway.

Gill

hi again!

great to have all this nursing chat going on at the minute! i can sympathize about the nurse registration being slow Gill. my school of nursing is closed too and it was a nightmare trying to get the NMC to send the correct transcripts along with the correct forms. they seemed to be able to send either separately but not together - too difficult for them i suppose. anyway i think i have got it as of monday this week although still waiting for final certificate to come.(started the process of in october by the way)
got the letter to say i will have the certificate within the next week

Roger, can i just ask you what they mean by a provisional job offer. is this assuming you get registration or pr. Is the job offer thingy you have enough to submit with a pr application.

i really need an offer in my hand at this stage as we took the risk and already have had our medicals done - how likely would that be do you think from christchurch hosp! how did you find them overall. are they not that deperate?! can they afford to be choosey. i hope not!

Looking forward to hearing more.
Old Mar 13th 2003, 6:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi Shirley

I am registered with an agency, who are touting my cv to the areas I like.
What sort of nursing do you do? I'm medical/elder care.
I need the offer of a job in my hand too.

Gill
Old Mar 13th 2003, 7:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi Shirley

I am registered with an agency, who are touting my cv to the areas I like.
What sort of nursing do you do? I'm medical/elder care.
I need the offer of a job in my hand too.

Gill

hi Gill

i have been in plastic surgery for past three years and love it - would like to do it again! going to work now though i'm afraid so i'll have to write more tomorrow.

i am trying to job hunt on my own at the moment - long story but hopefully will work out ok

must go -sorry
Old Mar 13th 2003, 8:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Roger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the rough

What I mean by provisional job offers is that I contacted the senior nurses by phone, sent a cv, then arranged a visit whilst in NZ. Met them and shown the departments and had a chat - but not interviewed. They said that they would be happy to offer me a job (thus provisional). When I do it will the last few points for PR.

Decided to go for Nelson as the city is great, weather fab and sea views etc. Did like Christchurch but it is a big town and prefer the country. House prices much better than in Nelson and Auckland. However I imagine that locals have the same problems affording houses as do us southerners as the salaries are poor. If I didn't have equity to buy outright I could not afford to go there and work as a nurse.

Nice hospital too but very behind UK in A&E nursing (80s) but I'm not looking for a career and got the grey hairs in UK senior management. Christchurch Hospita very busy, more trolleys in A&E than I've ever seen in UK, and still in the eighties. People very nice and keen to employ.

Don't expect UK terms and conditions - 40 hour weeks; less holiday; several week strict rosters; finishing lates at 23.15hrs; starting nights at 23.00hrs thus shorter nights and fewer nights off; 10 days sick per year; very limited extended roles; nurse practitioning you're having a laugh; very flat career structure (thus no one to develop the service); worse pay. However I'm not going for the career and will enjoy the job.

However you do need to do the HR thing thus have applied over the net and will have a proper telephone interview. Might yet not get anything. Got the impression that contacting people yourself was a good way of arranging work when they are not desperate. When short staffed they use agencies as no one wants to pay commission when people are queuing up for work (looked into Brisbane last year but would not entertain me as they had people on waiting lists with Visas. Plenty of jobs where no one wants to work).

Hope my impression is helpful. However thought that NZ was wonderful and can't wait to go for good.

Roger
Old Mar 13th 2003, 9:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Black Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: NZ anyone turned down?

If anyone has been turned down, e,g, for medicals have they gone through an appeal process?

Thanks Gill and Rob
Hi,

Go to this site:

http://www.residenceappealauthority.govt.nz/

look under 'Search Terms' and click on 'General Skills' to start. Makes a very interesting read! Hasn't been updated since Aug 2002, so don't know whether or not that means that there have been no appeals since then?

Gotta run
TA!'
Old Mar 13th 2003, 4:55 pm
Neil Raines

Middlemore is NZ's top plastic surgery hospital. That's the good news, the
bad is that it is in South Auckland, a socially deprived area. From friends
who have worked there, it is a happy hospital without too many speciallists
who are full of their own importance.

> hi Gill
    > i have been in plastic surgery for past three years and love it - would
    > like to do it again! going to work now though i'm afraid so i'll have to
    > write more tomorrow.
    > i am trying to job hunt on my own at the moment - long story but
    > hopefully will work out ok
    > must go -sorry
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Mar 14th 2003, 3:15 am
BE Enthusiast

hi roger,

thanks very much!! most useful post that roger!! it is encouraging that they do like to deal with nurses personally in the hospitals and also that you have come home convinced that NZ is where you want to settle. are you both of the same mind? my fear is that we will come home with one or other more sure, although I can't wait for our holiday now!

only thing is i'm wondering about the telephone interview bit! i am optimistically hoping that i will be able to get it all over while i'm there. i should have my registration certificate with me and i have already sent a completed application form for plastic surgery posts (downloaded from the net) to the ward sster a few weeks ago along with cv, photocopies of the references used for registration etc.

this was after i had phoned the sister a wee while ago and tried to tactfully suggest that i needed more than just to see round the department and was keen to get a job offer if that were possible. she said the best thing to do was send all of above and come to see her whenever suited ME best while on holiday. then in her words, she and i will have a wee chat and we can go together and talk to human resources to work out a job offer. what do you think roger? could it be this simple or do you reckon that when i get to HR they will hit me with a formal interview. the sister seemed really nice by the way.

i haven't heard anything back since i sent all the stuff although i think the way it was left was that i would contact her nearer the time to arrange a suitable date/time. would appreciate your opinion.

anyway, i have thought of a couple more questions. sorry roger! if i do get the length of the formal interview stage, what on earth do you reckon i should prepare, apart from reading up on the treaty booklet. any suggestions would be great, especially on how i should go about negotiating with them for pay scale etc (if i get that length that is!) this is where the agency would have been useful i suppose!

also, what else did you glean from your wee trips to the wards. what size of units are they? do they appear any shorter staffed than here? i get the impression they are a bit behind from what you say. are they so with equipment etc or mainly from the nurse's 'role' point of view. and last one for now (i am really sorry about this interrogation - honest!! but you are so useful) did you get any idea of where they are at with policies on lifting and handling etc. i feel we have moved on a bit here from physically doing absolutley everything for the patient and have the help of hoists etc, i would (or at least my back would) hate to go back to all that lifting and hauling. memories of the 'austalian lift' which seemed to constitute half my training spring to mind and are not good!!!

i hope i am not boring everyone with all this detail in nursing stuff. i did think i should try to email you again with these questions but since there are now a few other nurses etc on here at the mo i thought that maybe others might benefit from all you had found out too. thanks again in advance.
Old Mar 14th 2003, 6:20 am
Emmy & Phil

Hi I cant answer the nursery questions. As for the 'could it be this simple
or do you reckon that when I get to HR they will hit me with a formal
interview.' I think it could be that simple. We are getting desperate for
nurse here. My friend in HR is looking at advertising in the UK magazines
now as we need to attract more nurses. So I think if they liked the sound
of you and you have the skills then the jobs yours. Here we are taking on
nurses from Briton, Zimbabwe, Sweden (everywhere in fact) on phone
interview. So have fun on your holiday and don't worry about the job. You
WILL get it.

Emily

--
"There Are No Stupid Questions, But There Are A Lot Of Inquisitive Idiots."

Please remove "NOSPAM" when emailing.
"jajpe" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > hi roger,
    > thanks very much!! most useful post that roger!! it is encouraging
    > that they do like to deal with nurses personally in the hospitals
    > and also that you have come home convinced that NZ is where you
    > want to settle. are you both of the same mind? my fear is that we
    > will come home with one or other more sure, although I can't wait
    > for our holiday now!
    > only thing is i'm wondering about the telephone interview bit! i am
    > optimistically hoping that i will be able to get it all over while i'm
    > there. i should have my registration certificate with me and i have
    > already sent a completed application form for plastic surgery posts
    > (downloaded from the net) to the ward sster a few weeks ago along with
    > cv, photocopies of the references used for registration etc.
    > this was after i had phoned the sister a wee while ago and tried to
    > tactfully suggest that i needed more than just to see round the
    > department and was keen to get a job offer if that were possible. she
    > said the best thing to do was send all of above and come to see her
    > whenever suited ME best while on holiday. then in her words, she and i
    > will have a wee chat and we can go together and talk to human resources
    > to work out a job offer. what do you think roger? could it be this
    > simple or do you reckon that when i get to HR they will hit me with a
    > formal interview. the sister seemed really nice by the way.
    > i haven't heard anything back since i sent all the stuff although i
    > think the way it was left was that i would contact her nearer the time
    > to arrange a suitable date/time. would appreciate your opinion.
    > anyway, i have thought of a couple more questions. sorry roger! if i do
    > get the length of the formal interview stage, what on earth do you
    > reckon i should prepare, apart from reading up on the treaty booklet.
    > any suggestions would be great, especially on how i should go about
    > negotiating with them for pay scale etc (if i get that length that is!)
    > this is where the agency would have been useful i suppose!
    > also, what else did you glean from your wee trips to the wards. what
    > size of units are they? do they appear any shorter staffed than here? i
    > get the impression they are a bit behind from what you say. are they so
    > with equipment etc or mainly from the nurse's 'role' point of view. and
    > last one for now (i am really sorry about this interrogation - honest!!
    > but you are so useful) did you get any idea of where they are at with
    > policies on lifting and handling etc. i feel we have moved on a bit here
    > from physically doing absolutley everything for the patient and have the
    > help of hoists etc, i would (or at least my back would) hate to go back
    > to all that lifting and hauling. memories of the 'austalian lift' which
    > seemed to constitute half my training spring to mind and are not good!!!
    > i hope i am not boring everyone with all this detail in nursing stuff. i
    > did think i should try to email you again with these questions but since
    > there are now a few other nurses etc on here at the mo i thought that
    > maybe others might benefit from all you had found out too. thanks again
    > in advance.
    > --

Old Mar 14th 2003, 9:03 am
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Emmy & Phil
Hi I cant answer the nursery questions. As for the 'could it be this simple
or do you reckon that when I get to HR they will hit me with a formal
interview.' I think it could be that simple. We are getting desperate for
nurse here. My friend in HR is looking at advertising in the UK magazines
now as we need to attract more nurses. So I think if they liked the sound
of you and you have the skills then the jobs yours. Here we are taking on
nurses from Briton, Zimbabwe, Sweden (everywhere in fact) on phone
interview. So have fun on your holiday and don't worry about the job. You
WILL get it.

Emily

--

Thank you Emily!

i can always depend on you to restore calm in my panic attacks.

you're a rock!!
Old Mar 14th 2003, 5:54 pm
Emmy & Phil

LOL well i do try!!

Em

--

Please remove "NOSPAM" when emailing.
"jajpe" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Originally posted by Emmy & Phil
    > > Hi I cant answer the nursery questions. As for the 'could it be
    > > this simple
    > > or do you reckon that when I get to HR they will hit me with a formal
    > > interview.' I think it could be that simple. We are getting
    > > desperate for
    > > nurse here. My friend in HR is looking at advertising in the UK
    > > magazines
    > > now as we need to attract more nurses. So I think if they liked
    > > the sound
    > > of you and you have the skills then the jobs yours. Here we are
    > > taking on
    > > nurses from Briton, Zimbabwe, Sweden (everywhere in fact) on phone
    > > interview. So have fun on your holiday and don't worry about the
    > > job. You
    > > WILL get it.
    > >
    > > Emily
    > >
    > > --
    > > "There Are No Stupid Questions, But There Are A Lot Of Inquisitive
    > > Idiots."
    > >
    > >
    > > Thank you Emily!
    > >
    > > i can always depend on you to restore calm in my panic attacks.
    > >
    > > you're a rock!!
    > --