NVQ in childcare - chances of migrating?

Old Oct 5th 2013, 3:05 pm
Just Joined

littlelol72 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NVQ in childcare - chances of migrating?

Hi all, like many I am wanting to migrate to OZ but I do require some information from others. I have NVQ level 3 in childcare and have been working as a manager of a setting for the last 4 1/2 years so I have other qualifications behind me but as I don't have my degree I am short of my points so I was thinking if I was to apply for a student visa and gain the further qualifications that is required to hopefully gain me the PR for my self and my family. Is this possible? I am aware I have to fund my children's education and can only work 20 hours a week. I am 41 now and I also aware of the age limit. If anyone can advise me further it would be very much appreciated.
Old Oct 5th 2013, 3:22 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NVQ in childcare - chances of migrating?

Originally Posted by littlelol72
Hi all, like many I am wanting to migrate to OZ but I do require some information from others. I have NVQ level 3 in childcare and have been working as a manager of a setting for the last 4 1/2 years so I have other qualifications behind me but as I don't have my degree I am short of my points so I was thinking if I was to apply for a student visa and gain the further qualifications that is required to hopefully gain me the PR for my self and my family. Is this possible? I am aware I have to fund my children's education and can only work 20 hours a week. I am 41 now and I also aware of the age limit. If anyone can advise me further it would be very much appreciated.
Hi there

It's not just being able to meet the points requirement for a visa, you also need to be able to meet the criteria for a successful skills assessment for an occupation on the CSOL. I don't have a degree, but if I had it would only be 5 more points than I was awarded for the qualifications I do have. I made up my points with IELTS and state sponsorship.
Old Oct 5th 2013, 4:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

What occupation code are you thinking you would apply under?
Old Oct 6th 2013, 5:08 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Hi there

It's not just being able to meet the points requirement for a visa, you also need to be able to meet the criteria for a successful skills assessment for an occupation on the CSOL. I don't have a degree, but if I had it would only be 5 more points than I was awarded for the qualifications I do have. I made up my points with IELTS and state sponsorship.
Thanks Sparkles for your response. Sorry for sounding so green on this, which I am but did you have the RPL for the IELTS or is this just a standard test which can be done? and the state sponsorship can I ask for more information on this too.
Old Oct 6th 2013, 5:19 am
Just Joined

Hi there

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
What occupation code are you thinking you would apply under?
Hi Bermudashorts, well at first I was a little excited as I saw child centre manager on skilled list. Everything that it asked for is what I do on a daily bases and like many of us much more but then it came down to it requesting a degree which I don't have. Just experience and the general qualifications and additional certification required for childcare and assessing etc. So this is why I thought if I can complete the rest of my qualifications there hoping I will eventually be able to apply for permanent residency providing I do get the job that I am training for.
Old Oct 6th 2013, 5:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Have you been told by someone that you cannot pass skills assessment? Because on the immigration website it states that experience might substitute for qualifications? Might being the operative word, but worth running that too ground if you have not already.

If you definitely need to study, well yes I suppose you can do that in Australia if you have the money. It will mean as well as your study fees, school fees, compulsory medical insurance and restricted working rights for your OH so can get costly. Personally I would look to top up qualifications in the UK.
Old Oct 6th 2013, 6:37 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Sparkles for your response. Sorry for sounding so green on this, which I am but did you have the RPL for the IELTS or is this just a standard test which can be done? and the state sponsorship can I ask for more information on this too.
IELTS is the English test - you do not need to take IELTS if you are a UK passport holder - that is proof of English ability. But to prove a higher standard of English, and gain points, you can still do the test. Scores of 7 in each of the tests is worth 10 points, scores of 8 would be 20 points.

Info on points and other criteria for 189/190/489 visas - http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/1119.pdf
Old Oct 6th 2013, 6:39 pm
Just Joined

rodders63 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Have you been told by someone that you cannot pass skills assessment? Because on the immigration website it states that experience might substitute for qualifications? Might being the operative word, but worth running that too ground if you have not already.

If you definitely need to study, well yes I suppose you can do that in Australia if you have the money. It will mean as well as your study fees, school fees, compulsory medical insurance and restricted working rights for your OH so can get costly. Personally I would look to top up qualifications in the UK.
Thank you Bermudashorts, I sent in my CV to an agent and she just said I would need a degree. I think I will follow it up after this as to be honest as I keep researching I am learning all this new information and the experience I have had over the years along with the other qualifications must count for something. If you can advise me further it will be very much appreciated. Thanks for your info
Old Oct 7th 2013, 12:26 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rodders63
Thank you Bermudashorts, I sent in my CV to an agent and she just said I would need a degree. I think I will follow it up after this as to be honest as I keep researching I am learning all this new information and the experience I have had over the years along with the other qualifications must count for something. If you can advise me further it will be very much appreciated. Thanks for your info
Make sure your agent is a MARA registered agent. There are a number of agents that are regularly recommended on here.
Old Oct 7th 2013, 12:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by rodders63
I don't have much else to add unfortunately as I am not in this occupation. But if you go to www.imi.gov.au and search for the occupation you will see where it says experience may substitute. The skills assessment is carried out by TRA, personally I cannot make head nor tail of the TRA website so have not been able to investigate further. Suggest you find a different migration agent to help you from here.
Old Oct 7th 2013, 3:12 am
Just Joined

IELTS is the English test - you do not need to take IELTS if you are a UK passport holder - that is proof of English ability. But to prove a higher standard of English, and gain points, you can still do the test. Scores of 7 in each of the tests is worth 10 points, scores of 8 would be 20 points.

Info on points and other criteria for 189/190/489 visas - http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/1119.pdf
Thank you for this info Sparkle...
Old Oct 7th 2013, 3:13 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by verystormy
Make sure your agent is a MARA registered agent. There are a number of agents that are regularly recommended on here.
Thanks verfystormy, I think I will try another agent
Old Oct 7th 2013, 3:15 am
Just Joined

Thanks for all your information its all greatly appreciated and all informative.