nvq 3 equalivent to aqf diploma

Old Sep 1st 2004, 10:48 am

stevereed is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: nvq 3 equalivent to aqf diploma

OK. And an HND corresponds to the first 2 years, but that even seems to depend on the educational establishment.

surely a 1st class with honours degree would indicate a higher level of educational prowess than 2nd class.How about levels corresponding to Upper 2nd class and lower second class?

It appears as odd here as in Australia.

My point was that a Level 4 qualification should certainly be equated to an AQF Diploma, but Vetassess say that Level 3 quals are, but then fail people with level 3 qualifications.

They also say they only assess 'educational level', but does this mean just that, or are study/contact hours part of the equation.

Who Knows???

http://www.qca.org.uk/qualifications/493.html

The QCA website shows qualification tables.

You also then need to differentiate between non-honours and honours degrees.

Originally Posted by bettytweena
Hi Steve,
A level 4 qualification corresponds to ONLY the FIRST completed year of an undergraduate degree in the UK. A completed UK degree is classed as educational level 6.

Hope this helps
Lesley
Old Sep 1st 2004, 10:50 am

Actually looking at the table on the QCA site, they do give a higher level for 'honours' degrees, but lump 'ordinary degrees' and Higher Nationals Diplomas etc into the same band.

Steve

Hi Steve,
A level 4 qualification corresponds to ONLY the FIRST completed year of an undergraduate degree in the UK. A completed UK degree is classed as educational level 6.

Hope this helps
Lesley
Old Sep 1st 2004, 11:08 am

Here is the table

http://www.qca.org.uk/printable.html...and%20criteria

Hi Steve,

Hope this helps
Lesley
Old Sep 1st 2004, 11:14 am

Ironically, this new NQF framework, which give Honours degrees etc their new level comes into effect TODAY!

They WERE all lumped into the 'Level 4' bracket until today

Pays to be right up to date on new developments

Steve

Hi Steve,

Hope this helps
Lesley
Old Sep 1st 2004, 1:28 pm
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevereed
If one looks on the Vetassess website it states that 40 point occupations require AQF Diploma or above.

You have been assessed as meeting that criteria.

So.......You applied for assessment twice, on two different 40 point occupations and got one pass and one fail, with the same qualification.

Could you email or PM me the details
Hi Steve,
This is where I got confused, if you look at the extract below it states

SOL - Associate Professionals- All occupations in this major group have a level of skill commensurate with an AQF Diploma (3 years full time study) or higher qualification. In some instances relevant experience is required in addition to the formal qualification.

but then when you read the individual job descriptions and qualifications

3129-13 Metallurgical and Materials Technician-Skill Level:
The entry requirement for this occupation is an AQF Certificate IV or higher qualification or at least 3 years relevant experience. In some instances relevant experience is required in addition to the formal qualification. Registration or licensing may be required.

So having stated in the opening paragraph that an AQF Diploma is needed for ALL occupations in this group the document then specifies that for the profession detailed above (which is in the associate professionals group) an AQF Certificate level IV is sufficient.

From what my agent says there are two non trade profession on the VETASSESS list that are accessed at certificate level.

This is good for us though as with a bit of creativity my hubby can have his skills tested as a Metallurgical and Materials Technician using his NVQ L3 in Refining Process Operations. We were going to nominate Safety Inspector but we really need to acheive a possitive assessment first time not because of money but because my hubby has accepted voluntary redundancy and is on 90 day notice from October which means he could be required to finish work as early as January 2005. We would like to have our visa by early 2005 just in case.

ACE

Last edited by ACE; Sep 1st 2004 at 1:32 pm.
Old Sep 1st 2004, 1:42 pm

And the ridiculous thing is this:

Try to find an AQF diploma which is 3 years long. Most range from 1-2 years.

no reasoning at all.

Also, the qualification does not need to be relevant to the nominated occuaption. So in theory as long as one has the correct level of qualification you should be able no nominate ANY 40 pointer.

I've decided to do a degree in Australia, but we are persuing a Vetassess assessment just in case it works.

Steve

Originally Posted by ACE
Hi Steve,

SOL - Associate Professionals- All occupations in this major group have a level of skill commensurate with an AQF Diploma (3 years full time study) or higher qualification. In some instances relevant experience is required in addition to the formal qualification.

The entry requirement for this occupation is an AQF Certificate IV or higher qualification or at least 3 years relevant experience. In some instances relevant experience is required in addition to the formal qualification. Registration or licensing may be required.

So having stated in the opening paragraph that an AQF Diploma is needed for ALL occupations in this group the document then specifies that for the profession detailed above (which is in the associate professionals group) an AQF Certificate level IV is sufficient.

From what my agent says there are two non trade profession on the VETASSESS list that are accessed at certificate level.

This is good for us though as with a bit of creativity my hubby can have his skills tested as a Metallurgical and Materials Technician using his NVQ L3 in Refining Process Operations. We were going to nominate Safety Inspector but we really need to acheive a possitive assessment first time not because of money but because my hubby has accepted voluntary redundancy and is on 90 day notice from October which means he could be required to finish work as early as January 2005. We would like to have our visa by early 2005 just in case.

ACE
Old Sep 1st 2004, 1:53 pm

3122-13 Civil Engineering Technician
3123-13 Electrical Engineering Technician
3129-13 Metallurgical and Materials Technician
3129-79 Building and Engineering Associate Professionals nec

These all require Cert 4 or higher, but these are the ASCO descriptors which are not migration related, or should I say produced for migration purposes. They describe Australian occupations, as you know and I have yet to find anything (god knows I've looked) to imply that Vetassess will assess against Cert4 standards.

I'd be interested to know if this does make any difference, but I'm not convinced.

Steve

Originally Posted by ACE
Hi Steve,

ACE
Old Sep 1st 2004, 2:13 pm
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute

3122-13 Civil Engineering Technician
3123-13 Electrical Engineering Technician
3129-13 Metallurgical and Materials Technician
3129-79 Building and Engineering Associate Professionals nec

These all require Cert 4 or higher, but these are the ASCO descriptors which are not migration related, or should I say produced for migration purposes. They describe Australian occupations, as you know and I have yet to find anything (god knows I've looked) to imply that Vetassess will assess against Cert4 standards.

I'd be interested to know if this does make any difference, but I'm not convinced.

Steve
I haven't seen anything official to support this theory, I'm relying on my agent's knowledge and past experience. I'll keep you posted Steve, gods knows it is not an exact science:-l

What degree are you going to do, have you decided to teach after all?
I start my teacher training course on Monday.

ACE
Old Sep 1st 2004, 2:19 pm

I'm doing a Bachelor of Commerce with a major in Accounting to meet CPA requirements, to allow me to nominate 'accountant' I don't need a 60 point occupation as my father is in Designated area, but it seems a safer option just in case.

I will do two majors which will allow a post grad Dip. ED afterwards, hopefully at non international rates.

Gotta live haven't you, and sometimes take a gamble. We should be out there in January

Steve

Originally Posted by ACE
I haven't seen anything official to support this theory, I'm relying on my agent's knowledge and past experience. I'll keep you posted Steve, gods knows it is not an exact science:-l

What degree are you going to do, have you decided to teach after all?
I start my teacher training course on Monday.

ACE
Old Sep 1st 2004, 2:37 pm
ACE
BE Forum Addict

I'm doing a Bachelor of Commerce with a major in Accounting to meet CPA requirements, to allow me to nominate 'accountant' I don't need a 60 point occupation as my father is in Designated area, but it seems a safer option just in case.

I will do two majors which will allow a post grad Dip. ED afterwards, hopefully at non international rates.

Gotta live haven't you, and sometimes take a gamble. We should be out there in January

Steve
Accountancy! sounds scarey, I know, I know as a computing graduate I should be good with numbers but I ain't;-). where are you doing it? I'm thinking of doing a combined primary/secondry post grad dip at UWA or Murdoch if I am unable to stay here and complete my PGCE.

ACE
Old Sep 1st 2004, 2:48 pm

From my research and talking to a number of accountants you don't need pure mathematics, mainly good numeracy. I am pretty sure that the whole thing will be a learning process and plenty of other students won't be mathmatical wizards.

I have an offer at the University of New Enngland in Armidale NSW. 50 mins from my Dad, and a regional institution, so if it came to points tests (it shouldn't) I 'd get a further 5 points for study in regional area.

I'll be finished by 39 1/2 and can easily meet current points, even over 40.

It's my best hope, and with £150000 equity in my house I may as well use some of it. If we have to come back we reckon to return with £90000 or swo, enough to start again.

Steve

Originally Posted by ACE
Accountancy! sounds scarey, I know, I know as a computing graduate I should be good with numbers but I ain't;-). where are you doing it? I'm thinking of doing a combined primary/secondry post grad dip at UWA or Murdoch if I am unable to stay here and complete my PGCE.

ACE
Old Sep 1st 2004, 3:51 pm
ACE
BE Forum Addict

From my research and talking to a number of accountants you don't need pure mathematics, mainly good numeracy. I am pretty sure that the whole thing will be a learning process and plenty of other students won't be mathmatical wizards.

I have an offer at the University of New Enngland in Armidale NSW. 50 mins from my Dad, and a regional institution, so if it came to points tests (it shouldn't) I 'd get a further 5 points for study in regional area.

I'll be finished by 39 1/2 and can easily meet current points, even over 40.

It's my best hope, and with £150000 equity in my house I may as well use some of it. If we have to come back we reckon to return with £90000 or swo, enough to start again.

Steve
Yes I thnk you are right, I came from a totally non-computing background and I was surrounded by computer wizz kids half my age but as you say it is a learning process and you do pick it up as you go along. I am 40 and have just graduated.

Sounds good Steve, enjoy and best of luck!

ACE:-)
Old Sep 1st 2004, 9:51 pm
Just Joined

maxter is an unknown quantity at this point

We are currently in the process of having my wifes qualification assessed by Vetassess.

The qualification is a Foundation Degree which is considered in the UK to be on a par with other diplomas and ordinary degrees. The problem that we think that we might come up against is the stipulation by Vetassess that the qualification must have been studied for a minimum of 2 years as a full time course to be equivalent to an AQF diploma. Additionally the Foundation Degree is a new qualification which may cause some confusion with Vetassess.

The course that my wife completed was designated part time although this had more to do with convenience for the college.

QCA and other information about the qualification state that it would normally require a minimum of 2 years full time study.

It seems crazy that full time/part time designation and the number of hours you attend college may effect the result of an assessment more so than the level of qualification itself. I'm currently training to be a Plumber and my course is full time although the hours I attend college are less than my wife!!

I would be interested to hear your thoughts on this little scenario.

Tim
Hi:

I have emails from Vetassess stating that an NVQ3 would generally be condsidered comparable to an AQF Diploma.

I was slightly startled myself, but that is what assessing Officers from Vetassess say, although they do say that this is of 'general opinion' and they would need to see applicants documentation to make a judgement.

I personally, having looked into this in great depth, think that the 'educational levels' between UK / Australian qualifications cannot be exactly matched.

For example, in the UK a level 4 qualification can cover a number of things, HNC, HND, Bachelors degree etc, although this is the 'level' (difficulty?), and a degree obviously requires more study hours and contact hours etc than BTEC HNC.

See QCA website

http://www.qca.org.uk/qualifications/types/493.html

We are currently getting my wifes qualification assessed by Vetassess and are awaiting outcome.

Interestingly, her qualification has been assessed before by NZQA as equivalent to 2 years tertiary study in New Zealand, but people have posted on this forum that their NVQ3's have failed for NZ.

I am not convinced that there is a prescriptive answer to this, but if you want to PM me, I'll give you some info.

Steve
Old Sep 2nd 2004, 6:24 am

I have personally spoken to people who have got positive assessments with nowhere near 2 years fulltime study. They say they only assess 'educational level' which to my mind means the 'difficulty level' of the course. diploma level obviously requires more ability and core knowledge than a GCSE.

Only sure way of knowing what this is all about is when you get the results

Steve

Originally Posted by maxter
We are currently in the process of having my wifes qualification assessed by Vetassess.

The qualification is a Foundation Degree which is considered in the UK to be on a par with other diplomas and ordinary degrees. The problem that we think that we might come up against is the stipulation by Vetassess that the qualification must have been studied for a minimum of 2 years as a full time course to be equivalent to an AQF diploma. Additionally the Foundation Degree is a new qualification which may cause some confusion with Vetassess.

The course that my wife completed was designated part time although this had more to do with convenience for the college.

QCA and other information about the qualification state that it would normally require a minimum of 2 years full time study.

It seems crazy that full time/part time designation and the number of hours you attend college may effect the result of an assessment more so than the level of qualification itself. I'm currently training to be a Plumber and my course is full time although the hours I attend college are less than my wife!!

I would be interested to hear your thoughts on this little scenario.

Tim
Old Sep 2nd 2004, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

CK2B will become famous soon enough

Hi Tim,

As Steve has mentioned some of us have rec'd positive results from Vetassess from part time courses. It might be worth sending an email to Vetassess as a general inquiry as to whether they have heard of the course your wife is undertaking. The BTEC course I was assessed for was not on their basic list and they had to do an individual assessment before giving me approval.

Best of luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.