nvq 3 equalivent to aqf diploma

Old Aug 31st 2004, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

aud123 will become famous soon enoughaud123 will become famous soon enough
Default nvq 3 equalivent to aqf diploma

Hi Am I right in thinking that a NVQ level 3 is equalivent to a AQF Diploma? Would a NVQ3 be sufficient for an occupation attracting 40 points?

We would like to emigrate on the 139 visa skilled des area sponsership.
But need advice on qualifications to obtain postive skills assessment.

I have one year;s experience in occupation on SOL list.

Any advice?

Many thanks
Old Aug 31st 2004, 7:00 pm
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: nvq 3 equalivent to aqf diploma

Originally Posted by aud123
Hi Am I right in thinking that a NVQ level 3 is equalivent to a AQF Diploma? Would a NVQ3 be sufficient for an occupation attracting 40 points?

Any advice?

Many thanks
Hi aud123,
We are also applying under class 139, my husband has just finished his NVQ L3 and the plan was to nominate the AFQ diploma level profession of Safety Inspector and have his skills assessed by VETASSESS. Unfortunately the NVQ L3 is equivalent to Oz certificate level not AFQ diploma level. If you were thinking of using VETASSES there are only two professions assessed at certificate level by VETASSESS. Sorry I can't remember which two, one has the word metelurgical technician or something like that in the job title.

Perhaps the experts can help.

ACE
Old Aug 31st 2004, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

aud123 will become famous soon enoughaud123 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ACE
Hi aud123,
We are also applying under class 139, my husband has just finished his NVQ L3 and the plan was to nominate the AFQ diploma level profession of Safety Inspector and have his skills assessed by VETASSESS. Unfortunately the NVQ L3 is equivalent to Oz certificate level not AFQ diploma level. If you were thinking of using VETASSES there are only two professions assessed at certificate level by VETASSESS. Sorry I can't remember which two, one has the word metelurgical technician or something like that in the job title.

Perhaps the experts can help.

ACE

Thanks Ace

Did you actually go through the process of assessement by VETASSES and were rejected or where did you find out his qualifications would not be enough? My profession would be residential care Officer and not sure what more you would need to be a care officer???Thought level 3 would be sufficient..

Thanks
Aud123
Old Aug 31st 2004, 8:05 pm

stevereed is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi:

I have emails from Vetassess stating that an NVQ3 would generally be condsidered comparable to an AQF Diploma.

I was slightly startled myself, but that is what assessing Officers from Vetassess say, although they do say that this is of 'general opinion' and they would need to see applicants documentation to make a judgement.

I personally, having looked into this in great depth, think that the 'educational levels' between UK / Australian qualifications cannot be exactly matched.

For example, in the UK a level 4 qualification can cover a number of things, HNC, HND, Bachelors degree etc, although this is the 'level' (difficulty?), and a degree obviously requires more study hours and contact hours etc than BTEC HNC.

See QCA website

http://www.qca.org.uk/qualifications/types/493.html

We are currently getting my wifes qualification assessed by Vetassess and are awaiting outcome.

Interestingly, her qualification has been assessed before by NZQA as equivalent to 2 years tertiary study in New Zealand, but people have posted on this forum that their NVQ3's have failed for NZ.

I am not convinced that there is a prescriptive answer to this, but if you want to PM me, I'll give you some info.

Steve

Any advice?

Many thanks
Old Aug 31st 2004, 8:08 pm

One other thing.

Even if the ASCO codes which Vetassess assess state that the minimum qualification for that job is a 'certificate' of some sort, for migration purposes you must meet AQF diploma level.

I think the only occupations that certificate level is good for are the trades ones.

Steve

Thanks Ace

Did you actually go through the process of assessement by VETASSES and were rejected or where did you find out his qualifications would not be enough? My profession would be residential care Officer and not sure what more you would need to be a care officer???Thought level 3 would be sufficient..

Thanks
Aud123
Old Aug 31st 2004, 8:50 pm
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Ace

Thanks
Aud123
Hi Aud123,
I went to see my agent on Friday and had a chat about this issue. To be honest I thought the NVQ L3 would be acceptable, it may well be that some VETASSES employees will pass an NVQ L3 as equivalent to an AFQ diploma. My agent showed me a database with detailed discriptions of occupations on the VETASSESS list. There were only two assessed at certificate level and he was adamant that NVQ L3 is not regarded as being equal to an AFQ diploma. He is an excellent agent very highly recommended by memebers and agents on this forum, I think he wants to be thorough and get it right first.

I hope yours goes through OK
ACE
Old Aug 31st 2004, 8:54 pm
ACE
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by stevereed
Hi:

I have emails from Vetassess stating that an NVQ3 would generally be condsidered comparable to an AQF Diploma.

I was slightly startled myself, but that is what assessing Officers from Vetassess say, although they do say that this is of 'general opinion' and they would need to see applicants documentation to make a judgement.

I personally, having looked into this in great depth, think that the 'educational levels' between UK / Australian qualifications cannot be exactly matched.

For example, in the UK a level 4 qualification can cover a number of things, HNC, HND, Bachelors degree etc, although this is the 'level' (difficulty?), and a degree obviously requires more study hours and contact hours etc than BTEC HNC.

See QCA website

http://www.qca.org.uk/qualifications/types/493.html

We are currently getting my wifes qualification assessed by Vetassess and are awaiting outcome.

Interestingly, her qualification has been assessed before by NZQA as equivalent to 2 years tertiary study in New Zealand, but people have posted on this forum that their NVQ3's have failed for NZ.

I am not convinced that there is a prescriptive answer to this, but if you want to PM me, I'll give you some info.

Steve
I agree, It's a real mime field isn't it? I hope your wife's assessment goes through OK

ACE
Old Aug 31st 2004, 9:03 pm

I agree that an NVQ3 is probably hit and miss, whereas something like an HND would be much more certain. A number of people have also had positive assessments for HNC's

There is at least one person who posts here who got positive assessment with a BTEC National Certificate, this is a level 3 qualification (a level below the Higher National Certificate)

whether this was a mistake on Vetassess's part or not, it was a 20 week, 5 hour per week course at the same level on the National qualifications Framewrk as an NVQ3

If you have no other option I'd go for it. At a cost of £130 or so it's worth it.

Steve

Originally Posted by ACE
Hi Aud123,
I went to see my agent on Friday and had a chat about this issue. To be honest I thought the NVQ L3 would be acceptable, it may well be that some VETASSES employees will pass an NVQ L3 as equivalent to an AFQ diploma. My agent showed me a database with detailed discriptions of occupations on the VETASSESS list. There were only two assessed at certificate level and he was adamant that NVQ L3 is not regarded as being equal to an AFQ diploma. He is an excellent agent very highly recommended by memebers and agents on this forum, I think he wants to be thorough and get it right first.

I hope yours goes through OK
ACE
Old Sep 1st 2004, 8:13 am
Forum Regular

Lavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really nice

One other thing.

Even if the ASCO codes which Vetassess assess state that the minimum qualification for that job is a 'certificate' of some sort, for migration purposes you must meet AQF diploma level.

I think the only occupations that certificate level is good for are the trades ones.

Steve
Steve,

you got me a bit worried now. I have been positive assessed by Vetassess as Building Associate Professional nec, for which a Certificate IV is minimum requirement. I had formerly been negative assessed for another occupation, for which an AQF diplioma is required.

Are you saying that although I have a this positive skills assessment from Vetasses, Dimia might not accept it?

Lavinia
Old Sep 1st 2004, 8:20 am

Hi:

NO. You have a positive assessment. That's fine I'm sure.

What I was saying, and I think I'm right is, if you look at the ASCO descriptions of the occupations that Vetassess assess, it mentions the qualification required and alsoa bit about work experience etc. It then mentions the tasks for that occupation.

I think that the only bit that is really relevant to you are the tasks, which, if you are using that occupation as your work experience for DIMIA you need to makesure that you broadly cover those tasks in your occupation.

What I was saying is that I think one needs the minimum of an AFQ Diploma equivalant to get a successful assessment, regardless of the requirement stated in the ASCO code.

If that makes sense.

Steve
Originally Posted by Lavinia
Steve,

you got me a bit worried now. I have been positive assessed by Vetassess as Building Associate Professional nec, for which a Certificate IV is minimum requirement. I had formerly been negative assessed for another occupation, for which an AQF diplioma is required.

Are you saying that although I have a this positive skills assessment from Vetasses, Dimia might not accept it?

Lavinia
Old Sep 1st 2004, 8:28 am

If one looks on the Vetassess website it states that 40 point occupations require AQF Diploma or above.

You have been assessed as meeting that criteria.

So.......You applied for assessment twice, on two different 40 point occupations and got one pass and one fail, with the same qualification.

Could you email or PM me the details

Steve,

Lavinia
Old Sep 1st 2004, 8:45 am

If you look on page 32 of Booklet 6 from DIMIA it states

to nominate a 40 point occupation - "you must have a qualification equivaliant to an australian diploma or advanced diploma, (but it need not be specifically related to your nominated occupation)

So the ASCO descriptor qualification requirement is not the same as getting assessed for migration.

But your qualification has been assessed as suitable for your nominated occupation so no problem.

Steve

Steve,

Lavinia
Old Sep 1st 2004, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

Lavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really nice

If you look on page 32 of Booklet 6 from DIMIA it states

to nominate a 40 point occupation - "you must have a qualification equivaliant to an australian diploma or advanced diploma, (but it need not be specifically related to your nominated occupation)

So the ASCO descriptor qualification requirement is not the same as getting assessed for migration.

But your qualification has been assessed as suitable for your nominated occupation so no problem.

Steve
Thanks Steve for that quick response and for putting me straight again! This migration thing is sort of a rollercoaster, isn't it!!!

Lavinia
Old Sep 1st 2004, 9:40 am

Indeed it is.

What qualification did you get assessed, and against what occupations?

Congrats on getting a positive one though.

Steve

Thanks Steve for that quick response and for putting me straight again! This migration thing is sort of a rollercoaster, isn't it!!!

Lavinia
Old Sep 1st 2004, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

bettytweena is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Steve,
A level 4 qualification corresponds to ONLY the FIRST completed year of an undergraduate degree in the UK. A completed UK degree is classed as educational level 6.

Hope this helps
Lesley

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.