nurses - how much experiance?

Old Jan 1st 2007, 3:31 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: nurses - how much experiance?

Originally Posted by Jade25
We all hear & read about the horror stories every day in most things the scare mongering (it sells) and if you are seriously suggesting "often" painting such a dismal picture that most 457 visa become abused or misused by employers, then perhaps Australia is not the place to work regardless
I'm not necessarily saying that *most* 457 visas are abused by employers, but I can say that it happens a lot. Agents in Australia see 457 holders in a mess on a very regular basis.

And it's not just employer problems. There are cases from time to time - for example - where a family member gets sick after arriving. This can mean that the whole family's PR application is refused on health grounds. Less common than employer-driven issues, but not unknown.

Then there are the issues of school fees, healthcare costs and lack of any Centrelink benefits.

I suppose what I have difficulty understanding is why anyone would want to take the risk of things going wrong on a 457 if they have an option in the matter. As opposed to spending a few more months in home country and then coming to Australia on a permanent visa.
Old Jan 1st 2007, 3:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

adiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to all

Originally Posted by wannabauzzienurse
A lot of what you say makes sense I suppose although if nursing practice is as different as you say then what's the point in spending time here getting experience of the UK way of doing things?
It appears to me that it is cultural nursing practises that are mainly different from the UK. As a nurse in both Aussie and in the UK you would of course be expected to give injections, give out (potentially dangerous)medication, reason with somebody who is being unreasonable, de-escalate potentally violent situations, notice unwanted and serious side effects in patients etc etc. The list is endless. You will be qualified when you go out there of course, but only just. HCA's etc will see you as a qualified nurse and you will be expected to lead from the front. I qualified in April and am still getting used to this!! I believe this experience is invaluble. As we know, as a student you are (generally)under the supervision of an experienced,qualfied member of staff, so alot of pressure is removed from you.

But, according to my Aussie mates, there are big differences and the following are the biggest complaint of the Pommies down under:

There is very little tolerence of unreasonable behaviour by patients, use of seculsion is widespead, acuphase is used very often, restraint teams are not trained in C+R and use antiquated 4point take downs (whilst wearing white coats, goggles and gloves, i might add-must be scary for the patient!). There is very little MDT, OT's and sports activities are uncommon and the Doc's write the care plans and don't care what the nurses think. However, you are in Australia and what a beautiful place to work and the money is comparable at least. Promise not trying to put anybody off!!

Ade S
Old Jan 1st 2007, 4:18 pm
...feeling hot hot hot!!!

wannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud of

Yikes :scared: glad my job is theatres
Old Jan 1st 2007, 5:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

adiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to all

Oh yeah, obviously im talking about mental health-psychiatric nursing!! And obviously there are differences in hospitals across Oz

Ade S